Rare Cobra fetches a large sum.

Bill Cosby did a hilarious bit about his initial experience with the Super Snake...but I can't find it :(

Steve

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, it's called "200 M.P.H." I have the MP3 but no video.

uhg, these tales of seen super snakes is like all the tales ive heard of Ferrari F50 GTs(3 made) it seemed like everybody, even a fellow student of mine(of which knew nothing of cars, and was only about 12 at the time) had all reported they had neighbors with Ferrari F50 GTs, i remember some guy on a old forum who said his boss used to drive one to work on occasion,

if these stories are true maybe its just that these cars A. Get used alot, and B. Change hands very often

believe me if you want to or not. I saw it. The guy that had possession of it is extremely wealthy (on of the richest families on the East coast, if not the whole country). He used to own an exotic car dealership, and now owns a Porsche dealer here in Pittsburgh. The dealers website is www.auto-palace.com and you can see some of the cars he has in his collection at this link Museum. He used to open it up on the weekends for a small donation to charity, not sure if he does that anymore.

I stood by and touched a few Bugatti race cars like that 35A, and actually watched them race at Road America! They have quite an odd engine sound...And I saw this up close, too. If there is one car to see in your lifetime, it is a T57:
Bugatti_T57_SC_Atlantic_1937_r3q.jpg

You know, I am suprised FireFox hasnt posted in here yet, since he is the big Cobra fan. :)
Ive seen a Type 57 Atalante (not the amazing Atlantic) and a Ventoux, both are absolutely stunning in real life.

@ezbok58a: im not arguing that people will pay that much for that Mustang, im just surprised that it would fetch about 4/3 the price of that Bugatti grand prix car

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, it's called "200 M.P.H." I have the MP3 but no video.

I've never seen the video; I've only heard the routine...probably on a record, believe it or not. And had no idea at the time the car really existed as compared to something he was just making up.

Steve

id LOVE to hear it, i think i may have heard it as well, but cant say for sure, anyway do you think you could upload to 95s ftp?

wish i could remember where i heard it before, something weird like PBS or something i swear, i think i remember something about faces falling off like clarkson with the ariel atom?!?

could you still try to upload to 95s, no luck with that torrent

Ok, sorry to bump this thread. I came back to look at this after seeing the Mongoose thread. I just noticed something: the description in the first post says the car has twin turbos, but in the above picture it is evident they are actually belt-driven.

So is this actually a twin super-charged 427, or am I a complete nimrod?

It is a twin super-charged 427 with what appears to be a cross ram intake.

Ok, sorry to bump this thread. I came back to look at this after seeing the Mongoose thread. I just noticed something: the description in the first post says the car has twin turbos, but in the above picture it is evident they are actually belt-driven.

original post:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - An 800-horsepower Shelby Cobra, once the personal car of the racing veteran who developed the iconic sports car, has sold for $5.5 million at auction, a record for an American car.
The sale of the 1966 Shelby Cobra "Super Snake" brought a packed house to its feet Saturday at the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction after a pair of bidders drove the price up.
Carroll Shelby, 84, who created the Cobra in the '60s using Ford engines and a British sport car chassis, said he built the Super Snake ? with twin superchargers on a 427 cubic inch V-8 ? and drove it for years.
"It's a special car. It would do just over three seconds to 60 (mph), 40 years ago," Shelby told the crowd before the sale.
"I killed a buzzard with it," he said. "Nasty, nasty."
The car had a twin, built for comedian Bill Cosby, but that car was destroyed in an accident while being driven by another owner, according to the Barrett-Jackson Web site.
Barrett-Jackson said the $5.5 million price tag for the Cobra was not an overall world record car price, since others have sold at auction for more than $11 million. However, it is a world record for American cars, said Steve Davis, Barrett-Jackson president.
The winning bidder was car collector Ron Pratt of suburban Chandler. Last year, he paid $4.32 million for the Futureliner, one of 12 futuristic buses used for shows in the 1940s and '50s by General Motors.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm a nimrod.

No more posting before coffee.