no more 'leaf springs' -Corvette FRC

niteriyder

Car(s)
99 FRC VETTE
Installed coilovers 2 weeks ago have been playing with the settings. Still need to raise the rear because it rubs during extremely hard cornering, other than that it feels great

http://img259.imageshack.**/img259/9330/p1010007re2bx.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.**/img149/1517/p1010009re2ne0.jpg
http://img442.imageshack.**/img442/2812/p10100046dk.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.**/img149/4379/p1010003re3qv4.jpg

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I was under the impression that the leaf springs on the Corvette were part of its overall engineering and to simply replace it based on the false belief that all leaf-springs are teh suck is truly apalling.

Unless, of course, you have hard numbers on the track (whether it be a 1/4 mile strip or a road course) to prove that the independent suspension you installed is actually superior to the stock leaf springs that were designed and engineered by guys who have devoted their entire life to this kinds of stuff.

Rant aside, that's a beautiful C5. My favorite styling. But it is a little too low for my taste though.

Nice vette, I also belive its just a big stigma against leaf springs. Should grab some numbers to check if it really was an improvement. Off topic, why a Cadillac EXT?!

Damn, that thing is slammed.

Why in the world did you lower it so much? Lower isnt always better; A good set Eibachs along with struts that are properly valved would have been a better choice, but what do I know, I am not an automotive engineer...

...are you?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I was under the impression that the leaf springs on the Corvette were part of its overall engineering and to simply replace it based on the false belief that all leaf-springs are teh suck is truly apalling.

Unless, of course, you have hard numbers on the track (whether it be a 1/4 mile strip or a road course) to prove that the independent suspension you installed is actually superior to the stock leaf springs that were designed and engineered by guys who have devoted their entire life to this kinds of stuff.

Rant aside, that's a beautiful C5. My favorite styling. But it is a little too low for my taste though.

Only way to get different spring rates and "lowering springs" on the vette is via coil overs, or perhaps if another model vette has stiffer springs.

Back on subject...

Not bad lookin', not a fan of red myself but it ain't my car :p. I can't imagine that car has any suspension travel left in it at that height.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up "independent" suspension as the Vette's had it since '63. Used to be a Jag e-type like design (difference being the brake placement), and since the "C4's" has had double-a-arm suspension, like any proper sports car should have.

Literally the only difference between the basic suspension design on Ferrari's, Miata/mx5's, S2000's, and the vette's are the springs. This ignores exact geometry of course.

z06_frame.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up "independent" suspension as the Vette's had it since '63. Used to be a Jag e-type like design (difference being the brake placement), and since the "C4's" has had double-a-arm suspension, like any proper sports car should have.

Literally the only difference between the basic suspension design on Ferrari's, Miata/mx5's, S2000's, and the vette's are the springs. This ignores exact geometry of course.

Doh! My bad. Somehow I was equating leaf spring with dependent suspension aka live axle. Thanks for the clarification. 8)

Nice vette, I also belive its just a big stigma against leaf springs. Should grab some numbers to check if it really was an improvement. Off topic, why a Cadillac EXT?!

and an X5...in California!

and an X5...in California!

He's in California. It's a requirement that you own a BMW. The only domestics allowed are the 'vette and SUV's or trucks.

It's impossible to spit in a parking lot in Southern California and not hit a BMW.

Doh! My bad. Somehow I was equating leaf spring with dependent suspension aka live axle. Thanks for the clarification. 8)

Only a few cars ever had this type of design (known as a transverse leaf spring), Lancia Fulvia's I believe had them as well. I'm amazed you haven't learned anything from the very common "OMG LEAF-SPRINGS AND PUSHRODS ARE THE SUX0RZ!!!" threads :p

the coilovers are from a company that races corvettes. THEY ARE PROVEN

and no I was NOT faulting the mono composite transverse mounted springs that come from the factory...i used the term 'leaf spring' because of the forum's past reaction to corvettes...if anything im a true believer of them, but i was out to improving the cars handling capabilities and to be honest, going with a higher rate 'leaf spring' front and back would have cost me the same amount as going with the coilovers. And i have the ability to tune accordingly!

And no, suspension travel doesn't suffer as much as you'd think. The ride quality is very compliant over uneven road surfaces and highways.

As far as the good stuff? Well theres a lot less roll in the corners, it feels much more poised, i can enter a corner with more confidence and at higher speeds.

Your car literally looks too low. You need to raise it a bit to look less weird

Looking at your car makes me want a c5 z06 in a very dark green (harder to see at night from more angles than black), and a switch on the tail lights... late night top speed runs on the freeway :ph34r: :stig: :driving:

Amazing looking car, the black wheels complement it nicely. :thumbup:

Question: are front plates required in Cali? Better leave that front plate cover on...

I've noticed you managed to dodge my question on why you bought an EXT, well im back for round two. C'mon cough it up.

Question: are front plates required in Cali? Better leave that front plate cover on...

Yes.

I've noticed you managed to dodge my question on why you bought an EXT, well im back for round two. C'mon cough it up.

oh that? yeah not mine 8) Nice cruiser though

Your car literally looks too low. You need to raise it a bit to look less weird

thanks for the suggestion, i happen to like its current stance. However if i could raise it higher without hurting the ride quality then i would. Its a 1 way coilover, therefore the higher i go the shittier the ride:? alittle less sophisticated than your 2 way...no worrys, i hope to switch to a C6 hopefully by the end of this year :)