Windows Vista out today (general public)

Since I am completely satisfied with Kubuntu, I don't plan on changing.
Oh, and it costs 1.000USD in Brazil...no way , Microsoft!

Last edited:
Ubuntu does everything I need, and Windows in general is too locked down for my tastes, so I'm going to skip Vista entirely.

Since I am completely satisfied with Kubuntu, I don't plan on changing.
Oh, and it costs 1.000USD in Brazil...no way , Microsoft!

Ubuntu can't even play common media formats from the default installation. They really need to make a version that Windows-switchers can actually use without having to spend hours configuring shit that Windows does automatically!

as a directx coder i hate the day when i'll have to switch to vista for dx10 support. i'd rather go back to opengl for that matter.
as for now, i'm absolutely happy with my 2k.

Ubuntu can't even play common media formats from the default installation. They really need to make a version that Windows-switchers can actually use without having to spend hours configuring shit that Windows does automatically!

I wouldn't call copying some lines and pasting it in a file and in the terminal as "spend hours configuring", but to each his own...:)

Ubuntu does everything I need...
Ubuntu is very good!

I wouldn't call copying some lines and pasting it in a file and in the terminal as "spend hours configuring"...
Or just using a GUI package manager to install a codecs pack.

no problems with drivers, unless you have something uber unique there's already a vista driver for it. if there's no vista driver 9.9 times out of 10, the XP driver will work 100% perfectly anyway.

hmmm....I've heard differently, specifically that Vista nVidia drivers have been producing BSOD....

I think my signature says everything on the matter.

I think you should blame your own country for that, not Microsoft. How much do your cars cost again?

^^ Yes a bit profiteering if you ask me (who ever's fault) - sticking to XP until pricing gets real. If it does not too soon may look at LINUX or that Ubuntu people have mentioned which I did not know about 'til now.

As for Microsoft charging more, maybe its all relative. Whats the minimum wage in britain? In the Us it is 7.25 i belive, so yours should be 3.675. Somehow i doubt thats the case.

I think you should blame your own country for that, not Microsoft. How much do your cars cost again?

Hold on.
What's that got to do with software price? It's not like your importing a steel or materials to do something....it's a software! If I am wrong, please explain to me!

hmmm

I'll deal with the car thing first I think.

US cars are shit, therefore they cost less. (yes I know it's a generalisation but go look at buick and tell me it's not true)

now, VAT is roughly 10% more than local sales tax, distribution and retailing won't be much different.

there is absolutely no reason why there should be a 75% markup on the british price when they're both exactly the same product. European markups are ridiculous as well, going to like 60% or so.

the only way microsoft are getting away with this is because people will have to upgrade someday.

I wish I lived in britain even making minimum wage is over 11$ CAD If i were you guys i would buy so much shit off ebay you would save so much money.

Hold on.
What's that got to do with software price? It's not like your importing a steel or materials to do something....it's a software! If I am wrong, please explain to me!

I figured Britain taxes the crap out of everything, how else do you explain the horrendous prices for anything over there? A conspiracy? Then again, I'm not an economics major.

hmmm

I'll deal with the car thing first I think.

US cars are shit, therefore they cost less. (yes I know it's a generalisation but go look at buick and tell me it's not true)

now, VAT is roughly 10% more than local sales tax, distribution and retailing won't be much different.

there is absolutely no reason why there should be a 75% markup on the british price when they're both exactly the same product. European markups are ridiculous as well, going to like 60% or so.

the only way microsoft are getting away with this is because people will have to upgrade someday.

Who said anything about American cars? But speaking of American cars, why does a Chrysler 300C cost us $35K but it costs you about ?33K ($64,785). How do you explain that?

Microsoft is probably still pissed over the E.U.'s lawsuit against them :lol:

There are a lot of knockers, but Vista's DRM is blown WAAAYYY out of proportion. I've been ripping CDs in Vista with WMP11 WITHOUT copy protection. the first time you rip a CD, it gives you the option of protecting the files and that's it.

ESPNSTI, the first thing you need to do when setting up a Vista computer is turn off UAC, after that, it's absolute bliss.

Do you know how much trouble it is to add all those 'u's to words and changing the those 'er' to 're'?

I mean flavor -> flavour. Center -> centre.

Seriously it costs a lot of Indian man power to do those text conversions.

But honestly I'd take it up with your guberment (yes, I know I spelt it wrawng) and get them to devalue the British Pound, the inflation your grousing about is mostly to do w/ the fact that the wholesale prices are set based on the currency in the country of origin of the good(s) being imported to your country.

Last edited:
There are a lot of knockers, but Vista's DRM is blown WAAAYYY out of proportion. I've been ripping CDs in Vista with WMP11 WITHOUT copy protection. the first time you rip a CD, it gives you the option of protecting the files and that's it.
That has nothing to do with Vista's DRM. What you describe has been since Windows 98.

Just wait until you try to play your shiny new HD-DVD or BR disc (why anyone would be driven to do something stupid like that is beyond me) and it says "you can't play this" because you haven't spent hoards of cash for needlessly over-priced and over-engineered hardware that complies to the **AAs' extortionate terms. Then enjoy not being able to use VoIP, having your hardware unexpectedly fail, having your drivers revoked, difficulty installing drivers because of ridiculous and extortionate specifications, unnecessarily bloated code causing instability and unreliability....

Yeah, enjoy. Really. All because of Microsoft's and the **AAs' despicable greed.

Half -- probably more than half -- of the reason why Vista has such major hardware requirements is because of the obscene amount of time, effort and money they've wasted for their hollywood cohorts.

That's why I'm staying far away.

That has nothing to do with Vista's DRM. What you describe has been since Windows 98.

Just wait until you try to play your shiny new HD-DVD or BR disc (why anyone would be driven to do something stupid like that is beyond me) and it says "you can't play this" because you haven't spent hoards of cash for needlessly over-priced and over-engineered hardware that complies to the **AAs' extortionate terms. Then enjoy not being able to use VoIP, having your hardware unexpectedly fail, having your drivers revoked, difficulty installing drivers because of ridiculous and extortionate specifications, unnecessarily bloated code causing instability and unreliability....

Yeah, enjoy. Really. All because of Microsoft's and the **AAs' despicable greed.

Half -- probably more than half -- of the reason why Vista has such major hardware requirements is because of the obscene amount of time, effort and money they've wasted for their hollywood cohorts.

That's why I'm staying far away.

I'd rather watch my HD-DVDs on my 50" HDTV and not my 17" LCD.