Lutz Confirms: Commodore SS to be sold in US as Pontiac G8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove a VE Omega recently and I was worried......I mean it went where you pointed it.....Its a worry!

That is quite a worry!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/06/2008-pontiac-g8/

1-leak-2008-pontiac-g8.jpg

3-leak-2008-pontiac-g8.jpg

5-leak-2008-pontiac-g8.jpg

Doesn't look like the interiors been touched D:

OMG, i never ever thought I'd say this, but I absolutely love it. Maybe even more than the VE... :eek:

They've got the styling absolutely spot on, it's far from understated, but it's not wild like a boy racer. I can see lots of American dads buying this. Shit, if it was on sale in Aussie land I'd consider it, because it's hasn't got the silly spoilers of the SS, but it's got brooding muscle that the Calais just doesn't have. Love it.

Last edited:
One small worry G8 GT only gets 361 BHP from 6.0 L V8? Why is that, deliberately low stressed motor? Other than that, looks good inside and out, deserves to do well.

They can't nick too much of the CTS-V's market....

...well apparently according to car and driver, here's whats NOT going to be on the production models:

"This car is dolled up with a few SEMA-style tweaks that will not make it into production. For example, if you like the 20-inch wheels, tough nuggets. They won?t make the cut. Ditto for the ride height (production will be about a half-inch higher), the paint color, the hi-po brakes and painted calipers, and most tragically of all, the lovely two-tone leather interior. An available sport package will include alloy pedals and a leather-trimmed steering wheel and shifter, but the leather-wrapped dash is a show-car one-off. So sorry."

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12462/2008-pontiac-g8.html

goddamnit!

...well apparently according to car and driver, here's whats NOT going to be on the production models:

"This car is dolled up with a few SEMA-style tweaks that will not make it into production. For example, if you like the 20-inch wheels, tough nuggets. They won?t make the cut. Ditto for the ride height (production will be about a half-inch higher), the paint color, the hi-po brakes and painted calipers, and most tragically of all, the lovely two-tone leather interior. An available sport package will include alloy pedals and a leather-trimmed steering wheel and shifter, but the leather-wrapped dash is a show-car one-off. So sorry."

goddamnit!

Could car less about the two tone interior, same with painted calipers. There should be quite a few wheel options as there is with most GM vehicles. Half an inch is not too bad and the brakes should still be ok.

One small worry G8 GT only gets 361 BHP from 6.0 L V8? Why is that, deliberately low stressed motor? Other than that, looks good inside and out, deserves to do well.

The engine is tuned for mid range power

Sounds like you're getting the Berlina/SV6 interior then. Could be worse.

Buggering around with the ride height, why have it set differently in the first place? A shame about the leather being changed. I bet the tuners can get some real BHP out of 6.0 L.

If it's anything like the old 5.7L, we'll be seeing some astronomically powerful examples in a while. The top of the line manual HSV versions here can just crack the 5 second mark on the 0-100km/h test, low 4s are within reach methinks :p

goddamnit!

Maybe they're giving us a taste of an upcoming GXP version and they're just not telling us?

Maybe they're giving us a taste of an upcoming GXP version and they're just not telling us?

It is highly likely. They are trying to compete with the 300C so they need a version of the G8 that can compete with the SRT8.

Last edited:
It is highly likely. They are trying to compete with the 300C so they need a version of the G8 that can compete with the SRT8.

Yeah it certianly makes sense, those wheels and brakes are just HSV parts so they bolt right on, then all they need to do is slot in a 400hp plus version of the LS2 (plug in the 411bhp HSV LS2) and then POW! instant GXP

yea thats why i was thinking of the dulled down power, from the other new pontiac cars, the GXP version comes out about 1 to 1.5 years after the initial launch...so for 2009, when they are scheduled to do the redo of the interior and other parts will probably coincide with the G8 GXP launch...AND the new camaro:D...i say about 420-450hp from the GXP engine (whatever it may be)

the front looks bad, the Pontiac wash cycle never turns out too well. But that power, with RWD and manual for a lowish price is a winning combo

Two tone dash a one off? I love how they act like they did it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.