Concept Vs. Production

Mally Dangerous

So, I was sitting thinking about how production car rarely look like their concept versions. Many people tend to prefer the concept to the production and ask "why couldn't it have looked like the concept?"

My question is why don't car companies offer a concept look alike trim line as an option? Of course the company couldn't offer everything a concept may have but I'm sure they could offer rims, body kits etc to make a production car look more like the original concept. So, I ask why don't they do it?

Take a look at my sig. It looks almost identical to the concept - the only difference are the off-the-shelf tires and it doesn't have the funky roof window along the front of the windshield.

As a general rule you are correct. I think that people fall in love with a concept but when it comes down to it most would not buy such and outrageous car. Also they have to make the concept street-legal with crash protection, proper lighting and signals, etc. It also has to be produced en-mass and it's very hard to duplicate one-off hand built prototypes on the production line without a massive price tag.

In short: the car has to be practical to build, own and drive while being legal.

Blind_Io Yea you've taken the charitable route and what you sat is true. But cost does comes into it too, and sometimes the engineers have a moan and need things changed to, for instance, make the car handle correctly. Adding the lip spoiler to the original Elise springs to mind.

well after building more concepts that cars over the few years, jaguar seems to be turning their concepts into exact replicas well so far its just the XK but the XF concept is supposed to be exactly like the production version...which will kick ASS, too bad it wont have enough powere to compete with the M5 tho:( it has now shifted down to the RS4/M3 ring

It all boils down to cost and practicality, as mentioned above. Although the white interior with mirrored dash looks cool at the motor show, it is completely impractical, and will probably look like shit after the first week. Parts would also be ridiculously expensive, as well as tooling the manufacturing plant to build such outrageous items.

The sleek, coupe looks often have to be modified to allow passengers to travel comfortably, as well as get in and out of the car. Windscreen angles also occasionally need to be changed as the shallow angles sometimes cause massive distortion.

Yes, I know cost is why production cars are scaled back from their concept counterparts. What I'm saying is that companies should sell optional parts that make the production car look more like the concept. Sorta like how Scion sells a boatload of optional add-ons straight from the dealer. Sure, may not be able to include the most extreme concept features but they should be able to do things like rims and bodykits.