TG's upcoming American special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily the only comment they made about Canada was favourable (Its like Lancashire Hotpot with maple syrup - and thats a good thing!)

Personally I get a massive kick out of it - saying that, I find many Canadians to be exctremely self-depricating, and proud of it.

Equally funny is his love of all things Jaguar/Aston Martin/Volvo (XC90) and the Ford GT, despite they're all owned/made by an American company. I say it's freedom of speech, more power to him for saying things most people are thinking anyways! :D

Now if only ford would sell all the brilliant cars it sells overseas in NA :lol:

(Same to you Holden!)

Now if only ford would sell all the brilliant cars it sells overseas in NA :lol:

(Same to you Holden!)

Wholeheartedly do I second that. I swear, every time I'm in a bookstore and I pick up Evo or CAR or whatever foreign magazine, I get fits of rage. After drooling at all the cool European-only cars, of course. Pathetic, NA!!

Luckily the only comment they made about Canada was favourable (Its like Lancashire Hotpot with maple syrup - and thats a good thing!)

Jeremy himself has taken the "boring" tack, but that's just by default. Canada isn't something you can sum up in a grand gesture, so I don't expect him to come up with anything more insightful. =)

Finally joined the forum...long time d/l of the episodes

I just cannot emphasize how much I want to watch this episode. Considering that I've lived in the south all my life, I just cannot wait to see what the TG guys do in the south. I mean brits in the southern states is a humorous trip waiting to happen. Who cares if someone pisses off another, as long as we're all entertained by it!

Long live top gear :mrgreen:

I too am interested to see how they make fun of the south (the "Alabama Inflammatory Statement Down The Side Of the Car Challenge" mentioned in the preview at Topgear.com has no choice but to end in hilarity, if they actually did it), but I hope they stay away from the stereotypical "idiot south" gags. My dad's from the south, so I spend a lot of time there and while some of the people are uneducated and poor, they aren't inbred and vicious as all to many people make them out to be.
I think it's much more fun to take the route Borat did and make fun of the southern gentry, and their inability to be anything other than polite and obliging. I can only imagine what Clarkson in a beat up old Camaro could do to a polite southern lady in her Lincoln TownCar.

As an American who both loves his country and despises the attitudes of some of the folks who live here, watching Jeremy rant is both hilarious, and occasionally uncomfortable. But we need to be jabbed at occasionally. Its the folks here who never hear the opinions of non-Americans who never question their own values and attitudes. And that's tragic.

I understand JC's revulsion, but I think he's getting it from the wrong place. Let's face it, there are good reasons to find the US culturally unappealing. But he picks all the superficial reasons. We're fat. We make cars out of cheap plastic. The bar in his hotel in the middle of the freakin' desert closes too early. Come on, man.

See, I think he doesn't want to confront the real cultural ugliness in America, because it's starting to appear in the UK, too. Things like generations of kids growing up in vast soulless tracts of identical suburban homes, shopping at big box stores and drinking Starbucks. The UK isn't far behind us on this score. The bland sameness that's spreading across our country hasn't stopped at our borders.

And the bottom line is that JC is, by his own admission, a professional jackass. That's what he does for a living, and he's really good at it. And we benefit, because it's funny. So I say long live Clarkson.

Americans should get over it frankly. American TV programmes love kicking the stereotype boot at us too, but we don't care. Just look at The Simpsons and Family Guy. Constantly taking the p*ss out of Britain for having ugly people with massive teeth and stupidly posh accents. A stereotype just like Jezza saying Americans are fat.

If we can take the jokes from The Simpsons and Family Guy, you can take the jokes from Top Gear. Mmmkayyy!?

^^ hell yes.

We're all fair game - there isn't a nation on the planet that doesn't have a stereotype associated with it.

And, for people with their heads screwed on straight, having your stereotype made fun of isn't the end of the world. It's funny.

Of course, it's Clarkson's fault that I now think all Dutch people are constantly stoned.8)

It's easy to laugh when your countries stereotype is being made fun of when you don't fit that stereotype. I'm not fat, stupid, or ignorant :) I can point to Sri Lanka on a map, I've been to Europe (twice) I've played both kinds of football (QB, and Keeper) I have owned German, American, and Japanese cars. And I'm building a Locost, which is a British design. I don't think any American who watches Top Gear fits the stereotype anyway.

I strongly support insulting someones bad habbits.

However, as we found out, insulting random people in public where they live is not a wise thing to do... And even though I live in the US, I didnt expect that kind of reaction from some random gas station... Kind of scary actually.

I'm an American

I'm an American

Like it says in the title, I'm an American and I love Top Gear. I've seen EVERY episode and have seen all the American bashing. The sad thing is that most of what they say has some truth to it. Especially the overweight issue. I've just watch the American Special (s09e03) and was actually scared for the guys at that gas station in Alabama. I wouldn't have done that, especially since I'm not even white. I just wanted to apologize for the South. I'm from Washington which, besides Alaska, is the farthest from where they were that you can get. Hell, Americans don't even like the South. So me being under the impression that this is a UK site, don't want you getting the wrong idea about America. The South sucks in general. People, weather, animals, intelligence, everything.

Just want to say, Great Episode. its interesting how the African Americans with grills being extremely helpful and rednecks in Alabama being that hostile. And also how they showed the aftermaths of Katrina, absolutely stunned. And i live in California. So lessons learned: Never go to Alabama w/o a gun, and New Orleans' still really really messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.