[09x03] February 11th, 2007

anyways, going for the only(sadly) automotive aspect of the episode, in the end, they loved those american cars! I was a bit surprised by the comments, and with all they have alwasy had against american cars, it didn't prevent them falling in love with their cars.

Personally, I found all 3 cars looked awesome. I was thinking of what I could get here in Italy for 1000euro, and it's pretty sad. I don't think I could pull something like this here. (beside the fact pre-euro emission vehicles in europe are pretty much useless nowadays)

:lol: , great episode.

Robert the Persian

Big Stig

Inscects, old people, fat people, and cheese.

Loved the episode !
But!
I was a bit surprised how difficult it was to get a proper car. They were surprised too. My daily driver is a citro?n BX TZD Break, which I bought for ? 1000,- and it is fine. Ok, $1000 isn't ?1000 anymore, but new cars here are much more expensive then in the US.
I just checked: an ALFA ROMEO 155 1.7 Twin Spark 1994 ? 750 or perhaps you prefer an AUDI 80 1.6 AUT, also ?750. Also, if you remember, TG did the same thing in the UK. With a budget of 100 pounds ! If you can get a descent car here for that kind of money, why not in the US ?

I'd bet on the fact of them being unfamiliar with the place and not having a lot of time. I bet there are plenty of cars to get in the us for 1000$ you'd probably just have to invest a little time. Afaik the same applies to Europe. The bargains can only be made due to our recycling laws. The rest are private sales.

Too right, we have family freinds who live in St Louis, and even they fill up with fuel, lock all the doors, close the windows and drive for the border through Alabama! They even suggested that if any other country wanted to do some nuclear testing, Alambama may be a good place to start...

Don't forget that a lot of the cheap cars on the market were bought up post-Katrina. Especially in areas with lots of evacuees like Houston and Miami. If you drive around New Orleans about a quarter of the cars on the road have Florida or Texas registrations.

That's one reason why they had issues buying a car for a grand.

Indeed, It also varies on city to city. I don't know about miami, but I can find stuff in California for thousands cheaper than Arizona. Heck in Texas truck prices are amazingly low. compared to Arizona and California.

When I was in high school I remember finding a running 80's golf for 30 bucks though, just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Another reason is that as long as a car runs in some states in the US, you can drive it on the road. I've heard some friends of mine in the UK dreading putting their car through MOT inspections even with vehicles only a few years old.

In states like Florida, there is absolutely no vehicle inspection necesary. Because of that, old junkers like the presenters found still have value since they can be used. I can only hope that in more civilized parts of the world there would be no legal way to drive cars of obviously questionable mechanical integrity on the public roadways.

-Justin

I'm in the US Air Force and have spent a great deal of time abroad and I've noticed that the US auto market is different from most places. Although new cars are typically cheaper in the states, used cars aren't hit as hard by depreciation. At the beginning of the episode, I thought they were being ridiculous trying to get a car for under a grand. However, in Japan I bought a fairly well-kept '90 Skyline GTS-t for a grand. I'm blown away by the prices described on TG for new vehicles. It's almost as though the prices are the same in number as cars in the states, except the pound is twice as expensive.

As for the America-bashing, I'm not particularly offended by anything in the episode. I do believe that generally they go out of their way to portray America in a negative light, but I believe most Brits are intelligent enough to realize that there are all types in America. People you'd love, people you'd hate, just like anywhere else.

The only time I was ever bothered by America-bashing on TG was when Brian Cox was the star in a reasonably-priced car. He said America is such a horrible place to live because of the administration. Since when is life tough on a millionaire living in America because of who's in office? We're a capitalist country so legislation has very little effect on the overall quality of life, especially that of a millionaire celebrity.

The Camaro that JC had was nearly identical to the first car that was actually in my name, except mine was an '87. That was a damn fun car for an 18yr old kid, especially with an aftermarket exhaust and T-tops. Those cars were geared really tall so they're actually pretty good out on the highway. It may take a while to get to 60, but those cars pull hard through 100. Also, my car didn't take a dump until it had reached 275k miles, so I can't complain about its reliability.

Anyway, TG is by far my favorite show, even with the occasional cheap shot at America. Maybe they should add a 4th presenter.....an AMERICAN! I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited:
Hi am American, this is my first post, and I approve of this episode. This is one huge ass thread! About half of Americans dislike rednecks because they are that stupid. I am surprised that the ?boys? from the ga?petrol station did not pull out a fire arm of some type. If you throw a rock at someone with intend to cause injury, it is a violation of law (in most states). Also local and county law enforcement agencies in the south are historically sympathetic to the rednecks, things may have changed however.

The stereotype of rednecks eating road kill is false. Hillbillies do that.

The American Red Cross said it would take at least 10 years to undo the damage Hurricane Katrina did. Is there another thread to talk about Katrina on this website?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fema

Avoid the ?red states? (states that vote republican) if you want to visit.
http://mwhodges.home.att.net/2004-election-map.gif

This is a good up- to- date currency converter: http://www.xe.com/ucc/ I strongly suggest you bookmark it.

To all the non-Americans who have clearly expressed that they are not taken in by the negative stereotyping in the episode, please ignore this post, it is not directed to you. It is for the poor souls who actually believe what Clarkson says about America.

I think I'll get two friends and drive around London with bumper stickers that say "SOCCER IS A TRASH SPORT" and "PRINCESS DIANA WAS A DIRTY SLUT WHO DESERVED TO DIE". I'll get it on video and pick out the events where someone gets very angry at me. Then I'll go back to America and show it on TV and call the people of England all kinds of names because of the beating I would most certainly and deservedly get. Then Americans will get on a message board and say "Damn! Look at those hooligans. England is a scary place! Be glad we're America citizens, because those guys are nuts man. Look how those people behave when they see something they disagree with"!

The thing is, people in the South are friendly and they love cars. What a great opportunity that could have been. But Top Gear chose another route.

The level of misinformation and ignorance about New Orleans--and the U.S.A. in general--outside of the U.S.A. is astonishing. You guys get your view of America from Jeremy Clarkson and the biased BBC, lol. That's just great. It's sad. It's not your fault, but it's sad. One guy actually wrote "And I'm usually quite interested to know what's going on in the US, which is why I watch The Daily Show." The Daily Show!? Wow, you really are misinformed, that's the saddest quote I've ever heard in my life. You get your views of America from some jackass on a comedy channel.

The federal government not only gave the people of New Orleans gobs of cash, they sent in the National freakin Guard (inactive U.S. military, available to be deployed in times of emergency) to help rescue people. And people had the nerve to complain when they weren't rescued within seconds. All the complaints in the media were due to the hatred of president Bush. It was all politics. If Bill Clinton had been president, not a peep would have been uttered. That's what you need to understand about America. We are so politicized about everything. And most network television and newspaper journalists are Liberal Democrats (Left-leaning).

It was an unprecedented situation (the flooding on that level with that population). Things did not go perfectly. Not because of a lack of caring but because of the situation. Someone said it previously: in America, the state governments must ask for emergency help from the federal government. It's all a formality of course and the federal government helps in any way it can. The state of Lousiana and the city of New Orleans botched the whole thing right from the start. It had nothing to do with president Bush saying to himself "You know, I think I'll just sit here and let as many people die as I can before I do anything". But sadly there are people who believe that. The continued mess of certain parts of New Orleans is due to local foul-ups. The proof is that other parts of New Orleans are brand spanking new, such as the area around the Super Dome football stadium, where the Saints (NFL American football team) play. They sure got that together. Emailing the American white house is not only laughable, it shows how ignorant some people are about America. Our economy is doing great and unemployment is the lowest in many years (sorry Brian Cox and Jeremy and all the Bush haters).

I grew up admiring and respecting England. I always imagined that the feeling was mutual. I'm learning that it is not at all mutual. In point of fact, I'm learning there is outright hostility. Ok, it's just one television show and it doesn't represent all of England. But almost everyone (not all) on this board holds the same opinion of America as Clarkson (even some Americans incredibly, at least about Alabama).

Alabama is not full of violent rednecks. I've been there, I know this is a fact. Yet some of you believe this.

Oh well, who cares, I'm off to get a hamburger with a second topping of cheese...

WAIT WAIT Apparently it was all fake, apparently the attack was...staged. My sweet feathery jesus, it was fake. Alabama is not scary and Americans aren't scum after all. Thank the ever lovin Lord.

*ignores all the bah-humbug argument about sterotype this and staged that*
It is as funny as advertised in the first few pages of the thread. It does bring tears to the eyes, for me and quite a few others. New Orleans is shocking, no matter which way you cut it. The mateship is there. It was hysterically funny.

So, may I suggest that we all stop bitching, complaining and splitting hairs? It's getting a wee bit tedious.

To all the non-Americans ...Alabama is not scary and Americans aren't scum after all. Thank the ever lovin Lord.

That is one doozy of a first post. I'm not sure to who or what you are refering... but quantiny!

I kinda like my version. :)

It's a Joke. That goes to everyone both Americans and the rest of the world.

That goes to the Americans that get all hot a bothered by a program that was never intended to be viewed by us, does that mean they should bash on America for an hour(and I don't they did,IMHO)...no...just means the there jokes weren't meant for us. And if there are any long time viewers or readers of Clarkson then you should have expected this. Plus I am in the same camp that thinks some of those scenes were either staged or cleverly edited.

It's a Joke, also goes out to all the ignorant fools that some how think this episode of Top Gear was some sort of National Geographic documentary on rural America. Remember there are 300 million of us over here, not just the 5 or 6 they elected to show.

To be honest most people were probably more pissed off on how slow they were driving on the highway than what was actually written on their cars.

"Rome wasn't built in a Day," but it took less than two days in August of 2005 to destroy New Orleans. So for those who look at us with disdain about New Orleans, I have a question, how could Europeans sleep as civil war and genocide took place in their own continent for a minimum of 4 years? That whole situation with the Yugoslav Civil Wars had a lot of factors and was extremely complicated, the answer is that there is no easy answer.

New Orleans too is a lot more complicated than the statement "after 12 months the wealthiest nation on earth would have fix it...we were wrong." There you're dealing with a state bureaucracy and elected federal officials(Senators and Representatives) that are so corrupt, in 2000 the former four-time state Governor who last served in 1996 was convicted of 17 felony charges including, racketeering and extortion.

And in the elections last Nov '06, Rep. William J. Jefferson was reelected, while currently under investigation for bribery. In August before weeks before Katrina, the FBI raided his house to find $90,000 in cash stuffed in his freezer...no...that is not a type-o they found 90 grand cash in his freezer. And the Washington Post (article click here) reported "A former aide recently pleaded guilty to bribing Jefferson and is cooperating with authorities, and sources familiar with the case say a plea agreement with the lawmaker is being explored."

And former Mayor Marc Morial who left office in 2002. In 2005, Morial, his relatives and former associates became the focus of federal investigations into corruption during his administration. The investigation is currently on going, his Uncle pleaded guilty for stealing over $500,000 from the transportation authority alone. His uncle's wife also plead guilty for a separate charge of an insurance scheme involving current and former employees of the Orleans Parish school system engaging in a kickback scheme whereby teachers, secretaries and para-educators would receive illicit monies they did not earn in the form of false travel reimbursements, fraudulent stipend payments or (in one instance), paychecks for an employee who had left the system. In return for these illegal monies, the employees would and did kickback fifty percent of the amount of the illegal payments.(source) Two more of Morial associates have pleaded guilty after a yearslong federal probe into a conspiracy by which the two had to skim more than $1 million from city contracts.

And the AP reported early this month that "At least 162,750 homes that didn?t exist before the storms may have received a total of more than $1 billion in improper or illegal payments, the AP found." article here

I could elaborate more on corruption, but I have already written way more than i initially intended.

Besides the corruption (which is kinda hard to overlook) you also have social stratification, economics(macro and mirco), turn around time, and logistics issues to deal with not to mention trying to meet the wants and desires of the rest of the population.

I have tried to stay away from this thread because all of this was too predictable, from the jokes on the show to every almost ever response in this thread, but all the ignorance from all angles was too much.

Last edited:
Mally Dangerous said:
At 53:23 is Jeremy giving Richard the finger? lol

I just went back and checked... I think he is!! :lol: :lol:

hi i want to know when can i down load this, i cant read 47 pages. because when i go on shows i i c the 2 before it but not this the 3rd episode.

Holy crap this is a long thread!! I had to skip pages 9-40 because there just isn't enough time in the day :)
I loved this episode. I really think this might be one of the best hours of television I've ever seen: hysterically funny, thought provoking and and the end very emotional. Quality stuff.
It's really interesting reading some of the posts and there's a lot of strong reactions from the right-leaning American viewers - lighten up guys and go unleash your bile and rubbish about how the Democrats are to blame for everything elsewhere. It's a television show. It's entertainment. And NASCAR does suck. Oh and I hope Hilary does win.
But I digress.
Living in Florida (but I'm not originally from here), I thought it was really cool to see "my backyard" on Top Gear. And you NEED A/C down here. I had 3 cars down here without A/C and it was total hell, 2 of which were bought for less than $1000 - a 1987 Saab 900 and a 1971 MGB. I never thought of the in-car shower though!! Although the MGB leaked A LOT in the rain.
The part when they painted slogans on their cars was awesome! It reminded me of what we did to a friend last month. A friend who moved to Georgia came down to buy an old 1950-something pick-up from another friend of mine. After we loaded the truck onto the trailer we painted "I'm gay" and stuff in really large letters on the side of the truck. Why? For the very same reasons that they did on Top Gear - comedic value. And no, I'm not some intollerant bigot - some of those present during the paintfest were gay. So bite me.
Long live Top Gear!!

Wow....I'm really impressed by the number of new members this thread generated.
I KNEW this would be a big thread when I watched the episode.
Oh, and I liked it.