Driving in Australia

the great ocean road was good 15 years ago, now its full of speed cameras and a 60km/hr limit.

Where? Last time I was there, there were no fixed cameras past Geelong, and 60km/h was only in towns, the rest of the road was normally 80km/h (and was 100km/h until not so long ago). It does get busy, some of the towns along it (particularly Lorne) are major tourist towns.

Deanodriver is correct. I was on the GOR only about a month ago and there are NO fixed speed cameras and the speed limit is 80kmh the whole way. Have you been on the GOR recently asphotos?

my god there is alot of people from melbourne on here

Another joins the fold :p Good onya mate!

my god there is alot of people from melbourne on here

I never knew there were so many Melbournians, I bet we have enough people to start a war against the Sydneysiders :D.

Does anyone else beside me live within 5km of the CBD? It seems like all of you guys are in the edge of the Inner-suburbs.

^hehe... its been a long time since I last saw your Avatar as well... haha, do you happen to be Asian by any chance MixTrix? I've only ever seen Asians in Doncaster :p

The only difference with roundabouts here is that we don't indicate when we're exiting the roundabout, we do that as we enter the roundabout

http://www.openroad.com.au/motoring_newdrivers_roundaboutrules.asp

When turning right, approach from the right lane, indicate right and stay in the right lane. Where practical, you must signal a left turn after you have passed the exit before the one you intend to use. Exit in the same lane as the one in which you entered.

A quick copy and paste.

I see your NRMA NSW advice, and raise you the VicRoads Victorian rules as applying to roundabouts (since the OP was about Melbourne)

Link

In particular, sections 112 & 113 state that if you're exiting the roundabout less than halfway around (so you're effectively making a left turn), you indicate left the whole time, if you're exiting more than halfway around the roundabout (therefore making a right turn), you indicate right the whole time.

Turns out I (and 99% of other Victorian motorists) haven't been breaking the law after all :D

Last edited:
personally my favourite is people that don't indicate and veer across three lanes of traffic.

This is a good start. I love free advice. :)

The speed thing in particular could be a problem, since I'm used to driving in Toronto. (I clocked 160 yesterday, no sweat.) But Melbourne sure beats ?20C with salt blowing across the ice on the road.

Just a few hours now...

Just get Photo Blocker Spray. It blocks your license plate when a speed camera takes a picture of it and it's completely undetectable. :mrgreen:

Edit: Only $60 for you guys in Europe and Australia and free shipping! Worth looking into since you guys have a ton more speed cameras than we do in the States.

That stuff is illegal here I think (contray to what the site claims) and that site is full of shit, what's unjust about running a red light and getting ticketed for it?

I also have a vague feeling that there are cameras which can take photos of it as well.

That stuff is illegal here I think (contray to what the site claims) and that site is full of shit, what's unjust about running a red light and getting ticketed for it?

I also have a vague feeling that there are cameras which can take photos of it as well.

How is it illegal if you can't see it? And I'm not condoning running red lights I'm just saying sometimes we don't intend to speed and if you stray 10mph over the limit and a camera catches you then you're screwed so thats where the spray helps.

About the red light...my dad got a ticket for "running" a yellow because the camera took a picture of the license plate because it thought he went on red. They aren't trying to tell you to just go run the red light.

well then your redlight cameras are different from ours, there is about a 3 second delay between you going through on a redlight (Not just orange) and it actually snapping you.

How is it illegal if you can't see it? Obstruction of your number plate doesn't have to just refer to what you can see with a naked eye