Prince Harry may be deployed in Iraq

Goose+

From MSN news:
LONDON (Reuters) - Prince Harry could be deployed to Iraq by the end of February, a newspaper reported on Saturday.

The 22-year-old will be sent to Basra, southern Iraq, where Britain has more than 7,000 troops, the Daily Mirror said, citing an unnamed senior military source.

A royal family spokesman declined to comment on the report, while the Ministry of Defence said it was "entirely speculative".

"No final decisions have been made on which units are even taking over," a spokeswoman said. "When it is made, then parliament will be told first in the normal way.

Harry is likely to be in charge of 12 soldiers in light armoured vehicles performing reconnaissance missions in he desert, the newspaper said.

Defence Secretary Des Browne is expected to announce the news officially on February 26, the report said.

Harry, whose mother Princess Diana died in a Paris car crash when he was 12, is a Second Lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, part of the Household Cavalry.

"The final details are being sorted, but he is definitely going," the Mirror quoted the source as saying. "Naturally, his royal status has to be taken into account - but he will see action.

A report in the Daily Telegraph earlier this month said defence chiefs were drawing up a plan to deploy Harry without putting his life or those of his troops in any greater danger.

Although Harry was branded a "wild child" in the tabloid press when he was younger after admitting to smoking cannabis and under-age drinking, he went on to pass a gruelling military officer training course at the Sandhurst military academy.

"There is no way I am going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country," he said in an interview in 2005.

Wow. He must be freaking out of his mind to want to go into Iraq. He's going to be such a target too.

why waste extra resources sending him to iraq, as much as they talk it up their isn't way they'd let him come in harms way.

Is there any way to send Bush's daughters to Iraq?

A report in the Daily Telegraph earlier this month said defence chiefs were drawing up a plan to deploy Harry without putting his life or those of his troops in any greater danger.
no man's life is worth more than another. he shouldn't receive special consideration, simply because he's royal. he's never going to be king anyway, and it's not like the royals actually matter anymore.

the sons and daughters of our american congressmen, and others of some notoriety, are treated just the same as all other serviceman. that's how it should be. the only exception to that is the practice of trying to perserve familial bloodlines by not assigning siblings in the same unit.

For their own benefit, his location should be kept under wraps. Otherwise he (and the soldiers with him) will be the target of many attacks.

I think it's good that he's going. Better than being a spoiled brat and have people feeding and bathing you. Yeah, that's how I picture royalty....it's based on the movie "Coming to America"

You still have royal family?

I am sure you are not willingly trying to insult those who countries have royalty still, but as an American, I see your point, as have other Americans since about the time Thomas Payne wrote a little book called "Common Sense".

;)

Quote:Although Harry was branded a "wild child" in the tabloid press when he was younger after admitting to smoking cannabis and under-age drinking, he went on to pass a gruelling military officer training course at the Sandhurst military academy.

"There is no way I am going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country," he said in an interview in 2005.

A teenager smoking weed and getting drunk...shocking! Well I wish him and all others the best of luck. I have several close chilhood friends serving in Iraq.

Now there's a celeb that earns some resepct.

And I don't think he will attract danger to his squad, platoon etc. The bad guys would have to gain access to personelfiles to see in which platoon he is serving. After that get their hands on all the orders stating which squads, platoons etc go where and do what.
Should they manage that, the danger of Prince Harry getting blown up will be a minor problem.

Sending a prince into war... that's really smart... like...

...and in other news, the architect Osama Bin Laden was chosen to
build a WTC 9/11 memorial.

It's not the same guy, he just has the same name.
Hey! Everyone is equal, please, don't think this has any symbolic meaning
to anyone. Honest.