Elderly Tourist Kills Mugger With Bare Hands

teletubby-warrior

Da Superfan
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/elderly-tourist-kills-mugger-with-bare/20070223114409990001

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (Feb. 23) - An American senior citizen killed an alleged mugger with his bare hands, and his traveling companions aboard a tour bus fended off two other assailants in the Atlantic coast city of Limon, police said.

A retired member of the U.S. military aged about 70 put suspect Warner Segura in a head lock and broke his clavicle after the 20-year-old and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus, Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose, said Thursday. Segura was later declared dead, apparently from asphyxiation.

The two other men fled when the 12 senior citizens started defending themselves during the Wednesday attack. Afterward, the tourists drove Segura to the Red Cross where he was declared dead. The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said.

The tourists left on their Carnival cruise ship after the incident and Hernandez said authorities do not plan to press any charges against them.

"They were in their right to defend themselves after being held up," he said.

Hernandez said Segura had previous charges against him for assaults.

In a media statement, Miami, Fla.-based Carnival Cruise Lines said the Wednesday incident occurred during an outing at a Limon beach which a group of a dozen passengers had arranged on their own.

"According to witnesses, while sightseeing at a local beach, the group of guests were approached by three assailants, one of whom was armed," the statement said.

"The victims struggled with the armed perpetrator, and were able to disarm him. During this process, the gunman's two accomplices fled the scene. In the course of disarming and restraining the assailant, he died from apparent asphyxiation."

Neither the Costa Rican police nor Carnival identified the man involved in the struggle with the mugger.

The cruise line said the guests were questioned by local law enforcement and then returned to the ship. The ship's departure from Limon was slightly delayed to await their return.

"All of the guests involved, who had booked the cruise together as a group, have opted to continue with their vacation plans. Carnival is providing full support and assistance to the guests," according to the statement.

The ship, The Carnival Liberty, continued on its scheduled itinerary, with a port call scheduled in Colon, Panama.

BAD ASS.

Buy that man a beer!

Some teen kids in my neighbourhood were taunting some very old man,
swearing at him etc.

One of 'em approached the old man to spit at him,
the next moment the old dude made a beautiful direct
punch to the face, knocked the kid out clean :)

Old people ftw!

I don't know why people consider senior citizens as weak. They're not. At that age you can pretty much be sure they've been in their fair share of fights. So they have experience. And as is the case in this story, one of them might be a retired cop, a retired army man, a former boxer or martial arts instructor ... how the hell are you going to know?

Or better yet, mugging an ex-hitman ... you know you're gonna die sooner or later if the person you're robbing has killed for a living.

the mystery has been solved, we have found stalin's killer.

Good on you mate! Fending off some 20 year old thugs.

What a legend. I want to meet him.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when they tell what happened to their mates though. I bet they will have come up with a different story to tell - but it won't help because what really happened is in the papers. I would love to see what happens!

Man, this guy rocks! I get a mental picture of Al Bundy for some reason, hehe.

And if I were beat up by a 70 year old, I don't think I could ever show my face in public again :lol:

Wow !

Unnecessary to kill him...

I doubt he actually knew he killed the guy
until everything was over.

Heat of the moment, plus it's possible he inflicted
some heavy injury to the criminal's pipes, he just suffocated.

If someone attacked me with a lethal weapon,
and I got a firm hold on him, I wouldn't let go
until he stopped moving.

I doubt he actually knew he killed the guy
until everything was over.

Heat of the moment, plus it's possible he inflicted
some heavy injury to the criminal's pipes, he just suffocated.

If someone attacked me with a lethal weapon,
and I got a firm hold on him, I wouldn't let go
until he stopped moving.
+1
sadly, sometimes lethal force is necessary.

+1
sadly, sometimes lethal force is necessary.

+2 and I hope that I not only live to 70 but have the physical ability to do the same when I get there.

Unnecessary to kill him...

Three armed men against a bus load of seniors? I would have killed him too. He's scum and he deserved what he got. The only thing better would be if the other two got at least a sound beating if not killed themselves.