I'm on YouTube!

Overheat

Forum Addict
Okay, so yes, it's blatant self-promotion again, but I just posted my first you tube video of a song I wrote ages ago. Anyway, did it so that I might get back into writing music again and any comments from you guys would be much appreciated.

The link to the vid is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GG4EblIM5Y

Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone leaves :)

Man, you look like such a hippie :lol:

FYI, you can embed YouTube videos with the [ youtube ] tag:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GG4EblIM5Y[/youtube]

Good work Overheat, just wish the volume was better as I can't make some of the lyrics out.

You even got the grunge look down!

Good job dude!

As far as the video quality, the audio is pretty "hissy", but the song/performance itself is good :thumbup:

Not bad, mate! I like how you are NOT using the usual A B C D E F G barre chords. Very moody, like maybe Radiohead?

I played the vid three times so I could hum along a bass line I made and play the drums in my head. :D

Do you record via your computer? I use Guitar Track Pro 3, very easy to use...good quality. I would suggest getting a drum machine like the Boss Dr. Rhythm and a cheap bass; a used Ibanez is good. You can plug in the computer via a 1/4" jack port, and there is no need for amplification. Though I suggest a compression pedal for the bass.

Good song. More originality than 90% of pop tarts. How long have you been playing/songwriting? What where you playing, Fender?

Hi watisdis, I've been playing for about 6 years, very much on and off though. Only recently started to get back into it. When I got my new flat I decided to buy an acoustic for the living room so that I'd play more and it's working so far, every time I see her just sitting there looking pretty, I feel I have to pick her up and have a strum :)

It's a Martin Grand Concert guitar btw.

jayhawk, thanks for the tips :) I did Music Technology at school, so what you're saying is bringing back memories - hehe. Incidentally, that's when I first wrote this song too by the way. The recording that I made there was just using a webcam and a small condenser mic (and I mean really small!), hence the really poor quality, but I just made it for show and for inspiration, to tell myself to keep at it. If I was going to record an actual record, then I'd use better equipment.

I was on an EP a while back with the band 16th Round. That wasn't really my music though, although I did influence a lot of it and I did a lot of the mixing, they weren't my songs. Can hear that stuff at www.myspace.com/16thround if anyone's interested btw. I always felt with that band that I was more of a fan that got involved. I mean I do really love his music, Wes Johnson that is the singer/songwriter and I know I'll never be as good as him. But what the hell, it's worth a try! :D

Martin, eh? Wow. Nice choice.

I myself have been playing guitar 18 years, and I did studio sound engineering and live mixing for a local band in Madison, WI.

Gosh, I havent played a guitar for about a year now. Well, you inspired me to dust one of them off!

Martin Grand Concert: Nice choice! I didn't know there were other fellow guitar players here, nice to have company.;) Overheat, Jayhawk we should start our own dedicated thread/topic! I've been playing for going on 7 years now although sometimes life (i.e uni, work) gets a little hectic and in the way. I'm currently trying to save funds for Gibson Songwriter Cutaway
460937.jpg

Or an SG either would be fine.

I've got one just like that Fernandes, except mine's a Jay Turser and it's green. And it's got a Ferrari 430 sticker on it. :)

BTW, is that pic really a 10 second exposure? Or were you simply sitting there that long while she got ready to snap it?

Last edited:
I've got one just like that Fernandes, except mine's a Jay Turser and it's green. And it's got a Ferrari 430 sticker on it. :)

BTW, is that pic really a 10 second exposure? Or were you simply sitting there that long while she got ready to snap it?

10 second exposure. That was #10 IIRC, it was really hard to sit that still and breathe shallow. :lol:

Love those long exposure shots - and very well done for staying still that long! :) Got some sexy axes there by the look of it. Besides my Martin, I have an Epiphone .335, although I've just sold her, so she'll be dearly missed. Here's a recent pic of her: http://img215.imageshack.**/img215/4008/zebaypics001by6.jpg

She was my 3rd guitar that I've owned, the first two being Squier Strats that I no longer have, and I'll be sorry to see her go, but I don't use her any more so there's not too much point in having her around besides nostalgia.

My other guitar is a Brawley Threat, which I think looks beautiful and plays brilliant, great action. I think I posted a pic of that one on this site quite a while back when I first got it, it's probably in the New Toys thread, I'll go and have a look after I've posted this.

I'm glad I've helped rekindle some love with you guys and your guitars too, it's really made me want to write more just from the support I'm getting here :) In fact, I just wrote a song a few minutes ago that I'm very happy with, which is the first time I've done so in a long, long time, so I'm pretty chuffed. Now I'm gonna spend the next few days learning it - hehe.

***EDIT - yeah, just checked the New Toys thread, seems I got the Brawley in October of 2005 - quite amusing how this website keeps tabs on my life :p anyway, here's the link to the pic: http://img58.imageshack.**/img58/3526/newax7ts.jpg

Last edited:
Aaah! You have a 335! I love the tone of those! You get some really jangly sounds to them, perfect if you are into Oasis or The Stone Roses. Like, uh, me. :)

You have excellent taste in guitars, sir!

Nice job dude! :thumbsup:

My first thought was Radiohead (as Jayhawk mentioned before), and thats good :)

Thanks manc. I do like Radiohead a lot, so I'm always happy with that comparison! hehe :)

btw guys - I'd like to see your stuff on youtube too, especially the guitarists amongst you, let's see what you're made of :p Feel free to hijack this thread with you own youtube links - I'd like to see that :)

Great stuff Overheat! I still listen to Matchstick Men, Seaside Heights, Rooftop Gardens and Australia from time to time you sent me a while back. Keep up the good work!