[09x05] February 25th, 2007

I noticed that when he raced the GTi in the Lambo, that everything was EXACTLY the same as when he raced an r33 gtr in the McLaren...even the dialogue was the same.

I've heard that at least four or five times this thread.

Actually, it's a valid test, a good test. Why not use it? I would find a mk5 GTI very fast indeed, while the test just shows how much faster the Murci is. Numbers is hard to comprehend. Very hard. Especially when it comes to acceleration. "This car goes from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, that's about this fast | |".

Oh, you get the point.

Ambulances, police cars and maybe even fire trucks are the reasons.

Remind me never to be transported in the back of an ambulance.

I know they're bigger than an Espace, but they'll still lose. If the gates are properly configured, they won't be down any longer than they need to be, an ambulance won't be excessively delayed.

NTM

I've heard that at least four or five times this thread.

Actually, it's a valid test, a good test. Why not use it? I would find a mk5 GTI very fast indeed, while the test just shows how much faster the Murci is. Numbers is hard to comprehend. Very hard. Especially when it comes to acceleration. "This car goes from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, that's about this fast | |".

Oh, you get the point.

Yes, I get the point.

I always wonder why they don't put double barriers across the crossing, so there's no way across. $$$ probably.

I think it's also a safety thing, just in case someone gets stuck in between the barriers. With this design, you can always get through the other side. That's what I thought anyway.

I also hate myself for having too good a memory. Jeremy recycled his joke about the aircos in Lambo's. He made a similar one (though much better) while reviewing the Spyder.

I noticed that too! In the Spyder he said something about an asthmatic blowing at you through a straw... ahh, love me my Clarkson reviews...

Also, just to weigh in on the "Top Gear Dog" debate... I heard "TG" too...

Remind me never to be transported in the back of an ambulance.

I know they're bigger than an Espace, but they'll still lose. If the gates are properly configured, they won't be down any longer than they need to be, an ambulance won't be excessively delayed.

NTM

Yes, the gates almost always pop back up immediately after the train has passed. But when the gates start to drop down, atleast here there is a 20-30 second gap before the train is at the crossing. They do jump the lights, but ofcourse they have the right to do so in the case of emergency. They do the exact same risk while crossing any intersection.

Another reason is malfunctions.

I think its quite nanny-stateish to make them double-barried. All I can think of is that people who jump the lights at train crossings are most likely suicidal than anything.

that was his house in the cotswolds, it doesnt seem that big honestly but of course its probably bigger than most of our houses. and the jet fighter was surprisingly cheap i think, they were just gonna get scrapped otherwise.... no engines or equipment, just the shell so i dont think it cost as much as you'd think. the trenches it put in the garden were huge though.

Yeah well it looked like he had a huge "garden" (lacking a better description). And he said it cost about the same as a Ford Mondeo which I guess isn't a lot for him, but for 'normal' people it is. :p

I personally, didn't like the show this week. It was very boring I think and have to ask - why in the world did they have to test tracktors??? I like the "cocking about" but this episode was all about that, except for the Lambo review.
About the Lambo - I loved the car, the test itself was mediocre. Jeremy pulled the same trick years ago, racing a Diablo vs Golf Mk2. They could've changed the Golf with something else. I believe, even pitting the LP640 against a Boxster would be very impressive.

The best episode of the season?? no way.
I must say, the episode was good indeed.
The Jeremy loves Kristin Scott Thomas was hilarious.
The tractors was good.
I think afterthe first two episodes of this series, which were just OK, this season can really become the best season ever.
It's good to see the train crash..genuinely scary..

Pasha

That is the FIRST time I EVER bothered watching the star-in-a-car. It was okay.

Definitely one of the more entertaining episodes, also one of the worst "Stars" ever.
She cut JC off 3 or 4 times and had about as much character as the Italian news reader girls.

I think we need a new benchmark JC, someone with more personality or at least some wit.

Couldn't agree more Drewzor.
Also Im so fed with the Celebrities of the world trying to be leaders in being Green.It is the most hypocritical thing.Ok they drive a hybrid but use so many limos upteen times day and when the fly they do so in private aircraft.So they use hell of a lot more fuel than the average person.And then say I drive a hybrid Im green!!!!!!
end mini rant.

Last edited:
I was entertained for an hour - and was excited to watch it, and am excited to see the next... there are an awful lot of people that complain about what is still one of the best programmes (the best in my opinion) on the planet.

I was entertained for an hour - and was excited to watch it, and am excited to see the next... there are an awful lot of people that complain about what is still one of the best programmes (the best in my opinion) on the planet.

Couldn't agree more.

wasn't exactly the most golden ep of TG ever, but neither was it an hour with Tim Lovejoy... I did laugh a lot at the pre-KST banter during the news... unfortunately Kirsten herself was either completely oblivious to how much Jeremy worships the air she exhales, or too boring to make the most of it... she can't drive to save herself either (Stig's tractor laps were far more entertaining). SIARPC was only saved by Hamster and May carrying on in the audience.

The tractor stuff was funny but was about 10 mins too long... I agree that the big budget cocking about stuff is starting to take over the show, and after last week's almighty explosion, no amount of expensive tractorising is going to better it. I think it is time for another cheap car challenge of some sort... maybe buy a classic British sports car for under ?5K or something and see who's rusts out last ;-) ? The tomfoolery definitely needs to be centered around cars more.

Good to see Top Gear Dog though, even if she is a lousy sheep dog!

Lambo was cool but it was like the only car tested - bit lame. I have noticed a lot of similar dialogue and concepts ie. the wheezing asthmatic air con and the LP640vGTI / McLaren F1vsR33GTR... oh well, at least they're being consistent.

very disapointed with that episode, i *think* its the worst ever. It is the first episode ever i turned off 5-10mins early.

The top bit was the lambo review, but it could have been better. It was a bit bland. The train crash should of been on fifth gear, it was a rubbish 5 minute segment appealing to people who like a loud noise. Maybe next week we will see 2 cars crash into each other wow.

The tractor review was not funny and a waste of time. Why review tractors (even for a laugh) i would of rather they'd reviewed bicycles. I actually thought there might be some farmers out there finding it quite valuable, but why it was on top gear i dont know. Slowest lap of the track? What is that all about?

I think the news was a lil strained, a comedy act with the timing a bit out - also found it pretty juvenile (which usually is fine with topgear). The same goes for the Kristin Thomas interview, it was very faux. Come on he doesnt actually worship its just some TG folklore really. I actually enjoy some of the interviews but the problem is JC is a terrbile interviewer so you dont get much out of them.

Im not too fussed as i think its been an excellent series so far and they cant all be 100%

Last edited:
I liked the tractors! Hammond's was awesome. The Murcielago vs. Golf GTI was Mclaren F1 vs. Skyline GT-R all over again unfortunately. He almost said the same words in that part.

It's tough being creative all the time. At least he stole it from himself, instead of someone else.

Wasn't the public service announcement hilarious? Its one of those things JC does so damn well.

Peregrine Falcons aren't the fastest animal when flying flat though, only when they are diving they reach 320 kph (200mph) plus.
There are probably faster birds that fly flat and straight.
Yes they are the fastest, both in horizontal level flight and especially when diving.

The peregrine is the fastest bird on record reaching horizontal cruising speeds of 65-90 kmh ( 40-55 mph) and not exceeding speeds of 105-110 kmh (65-68 mph). When stooping, the peregrine flies at much greater speeds however, varying from 160-440 kmh (99-273 mph)!
http://www.extremescience.com/fastinworld.htm

I think The topGear Crew are loosing there focus, i mean they have to remember that this is a Car show "CAR" so where are the cars ? this is like the fifth Episode and there gave only been like 2 new cars!!!! the rest is just making rockets and driving tractors and stuff!!! Where is the real information? i mean i admit it was fun! but I wish they could focus more on the cars and testing them to the limit, not doing annoying stupid stuff