expensive American cars...

We don't do Maybach style cars.

Our luxury divisions consist of Cadillac, Chryslyer and Lincoln thats about the extent we're willing to pay for a luxury sedan from the big three. If one of them built a Maybach-esque car it would fail horribly.

Why do you think the VW Phaeton didn't sell well here? Yes it is a good car buy it has a VW badge on it. No one is going to (or did) pay 65k for a VW in this country.

We don't do Maybach style cars.

Our luxury divisions consist of Cadillac, Chryslyer and Lincoln thats about the extent we're willing to pay for a luxury sedan from the big three. If one of them built a Maybach-esque car it would fail horribly.

Why do you think the VW Phaeton didn't sell well here? Yes it is a good car buy it has a VW badge on it. No one is going to (or did) pay 65k for a VW in this country.
VW builds Golfs and Jettas. At least Cadillac and Lincoln have had a history of building extravagant machines. We used to do Maybach-style cars, back in the day when people thought smoking was healthy for that matter. Why not now, with all our technological advances?

If anything, Cadillac at least needs to build a Sixteen-like luxobarge. A handbuilt flagship halo car oozing with style from a company that's actually doing pretty well would not only kick maximum ass but would draw way more people into showrooms like the Ford GT did. Hell, they used to be a legitimate competitor to the Rolls-Royce and the rest of the world, so a 6-figure Caddy wouldn't be so far off in people's minds. "Standard of the World" would be appropriate now that they're actually trying now.

And frankly, if people working at Cadillac and GM actually gave a shit, it could happen. It would certainly change public perception of the domestics...the XLR's roof? C'mon, are you guys serious?

cd1932series2795801.jpg

lincoln_continental.jpg

There is a large more expensive Cadillac coming in the future.

Hopefully.

Either way, it'll be interesting.

And the Europeans will hate it, so more points for us. :p

Are people so into bashing American cars that they start complaining that a roof goes too high when it opens?
I'll find something to bash any car for. Ferraris, Astons, Jags and Citro?ns.

:)

Cadillac could actually do it themselves in terms of a nameplate - see the *original* Cadillac Phaetons, with a V16 engine.

But, if it is determined that an older nameplate must be resurrected, there really is only one choice, isn't there?

"Duesenberg."

I'd love so see a modern Duesenberg made. Especially if they built 'em like they did before, on their racing engine and chassis.

I think Cadillac could make about 25 of the Sixteen concept for enough to break even on. Would be nice to see a modern American car to take the title of Best (again).

I wonder why it is that while America cars are very powerful they have rubbish handling and awful interiors. Even the Corvettes use that cheap American plastic interior.

What Spectre had said before about the distances and bean counters was also part of it, the big thing to help kill off good handling American cars was Ralph Nadar and the Corvair. The Corvair had everything a Porsche 911 got 8 years later, but the Corvair was "unsafe at any speed" because it's suspension would "tuck" under braking and if you did several high speed lane change maneuvers it COULD flip. Keep in mind the corvair had very similar suspension as a then new Mercedes ( and the older 300sl gullwing in fact). The car is still a very good handling car, it's biggest downfall handling wise is the steering rack has to many locks. Basic tweaks, modern rubber and it becomes an extremely competitive racer. Plus it's light at 2200lbs with a 3.6 liter (I think) flat 6.

Basically the car got so much press that GM got scared that a good handling car might cause someone to do something stupid, get hurt and sue the company. Easy cure is to make it understeer like a son-of-a-bitch. The Original Z28 camaro was about the only other car besides the vette to handle well, and it was originally a hidden option package to homologate the needed parts for Trans am.

As far as Spectre's point on distances (which I tried to point out before in other threads), just look at the area I grew up in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Metropolitan_Area

It's not uncommon for people in California to do 60+ mile drives (1 way) to go to work. I've got friends that would do 110miles 1 way.

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand about the XLR is why the top opens the way it does:

xlr.jpg

It opens up waaaay too high. I feel like a slight wind could break the whole assembly...not to mention splling any left over water all over the place. Why couldn't they just do it the way Mercedes does with the SL?

4cd6_1_b.JPG

Can you even open those tops at speed?

The GM one is a bit more complicated appearing, but if you were to modify it to open at speed the wind would likely rip the back of the Mercedes off since it just acts like a big air brake (not that the top folding down on the Cadillac doesn't).

Judging by looks alone (I have no desire to figure out exactly how that top works) that they saved money (an insignificant amount probably) on the latch mechanism by just moving the entire trunk/boot lid up rather than tilting it back on the latch like benz seems to do.

It's a great way to draw attention to yourself when showing off your fancy electric top though. You have a HUGE flag that goes up in the air, rather than the understated Mercedes setup :D

Last edited:
Chrysler tried................... and they made a Rolls.

Chrysler%20Imperial%20Concept%202-lg.jpg

Chrysler%20Imperial%20Concept%201-lg.jpg

I can't wait for the new CTS, that car is going to be awesome. Even you Europeans have to agree that that car has a great interior.

No, im not really interested in a $400K piece of junk. I'd rather see more well-made, fun to drive $20-40K cars.

Ed

No, im not really interested in a $400K piece of junk. I'd rather see more well-made, fun to drive $20-40K cars.

Ed

I am not entirely sure how $400K would equal junk......

I saw the Imperial in person at the Philly auto show. I hope it doesn't happen. Its even uglier in person.

I saw the Imperial in person at the Philly auto show. I hope it doesn't happen. Its even uglier in person.

Ditto but at the St. Louis show. God that thing was hideous.

I am not entirely sure how $400K would equal junk......

Cost doesn't equate quality, look at much of what comes out of Europe :lol:

It always seemed to me as one spends more money on a car the more reliability goes down. Look at the 60's-80's Toyota or Honda's they last for ages, Rolls Royce's on the other hand were complete piles of shit, I do work for some one who used to sell them and told me of more stories of how shitty they were than I could remember. Look at the reputation Italian cars have and English cars...

Either way, Chrysler would figure out how to release a 400k heap of shit.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In the old days, Chrysler was a luxury brand. Remember before the Chrysler Neon, Chrysler Intrepid and all that other crap?

Chrysler Imperial FTW!

If DCX made Chrysler its premium U.SA. brand, kind of like Lexus, and Dodge its value line, kind of like Toyota, that might work. Chrysler is already positioned above Dodge (Town and Country, Aspen are upscale versions of Dodge vehicles...)

They're essentially the same cars with a Chrysler grille on it. Cadillac should make that sixteen and show the world some true American luxury. The more I look around these forums, the more i think that Jeremy was right about Americans being "cost conscious". Seems like everyone just wants quantity over quality.

I don't think it'd be worthwhile, purely because I doubt it'd be cost effective.

Once the US makers return to profitability with their bread and butter cars, then it'd be worth investing the money into developing a super-luxury car (for all the new technology at least).

I do like the new CTS and the 300C, I reckon the styling of those is what an American car should be, big, brash, made to look bigger than what they are (see Dodge Caliber), that's what American carmakers are good at.

Can you even open those tops at speed?

The GM one is a bit more complicated appearing, but if you were to modify it to open at speed the wind would likely rip the back of the Mercedes off since it just acts like a big air brake (not that the top folding down on the Cadillac doesn't).

Judging by looks alone (I have no desire to figure out exactly how that top works) that they saved money (an insignificant amount probably) on the latch mechanism by just moving the entire trunk/boot lid up rather than tilting it back on the latch like benz seems to do.

No, the XLR top can only be opened when you're stopped.

Also, the XLR's trunk opens for the top like that so they only have to use one set of hinges to lift the trunk to admit the top, or to access the trunk space to put stuff in. Mercedes has to use two totally separate hinge units to get that to work. It costs more and adds more complexity and weight.