Top Gear on You Tube

I thought it wasn't a very good quality clip considering the technology available at the hands of the BBC. If that is par for the course of the sort of quality we as viewers are going to get, i can see people still putting their own rips up and taking the risk of having them removed.

Yeah I thought the quality was a bit limited and it's very similar on every clip they've uplaoded. I'm hoping people will complain and they will improve it.

The problem with people putting their own clips on the site is that now the BBC have partnered with You Tube they will have access to You Tubes copyrighted content detector and clips not uploaded by the BBC will be removed even quicker.

urch.... 4:3

I might be wrong about removing fan clips - looks like the BBC see these as important. Ie xpect they'll still remove full shows but clips will be ok.

Ashley Highfield, BBC director of future media has said the Beeb would not be hunting down all BBC copyrighted clips already uploaded by You Tube members.

But has sais they reserve the right to remove anything that might infringe other people's copyright or swap poor quality clips for better quality originals - and oh will remove anything that might damage the BBCs brand.

?We don?t want to be overzealous, a lot of the material on YouTube is good promotional content for us,? he said.

People outside the UK will also get more than those of us on the inside. You will get a BBC branded news channel put up by BBC World bringing you broadband versions of clips on the BBC news website.

We already get the Broadband versions but you'll get it through a flash player whereas we're stuck with real player.

So they delete all the good quality versions then upload a bad quality one. Sods.

I'll just keep downloading Top Gear from here. The BBC won't upload entire episodes.

It'll be nice if they put up entire episodes of the Mighty Boosh when they make the new series.

They're using it as a promotional tool (in the UK to promote content on TV, radio and the iPlayer) and around the world to promote DVDs and content on their commercial channels.

However, as I've already mentioned the BBC WILL be launching a commercial version of the iPlayer at some point so you WILL be able to download full episodes of BBC shows (for a fee).

urch.... 4:3

The BBC have responded to the aspect ratio issues in a comment on their channel homepage.

"that is a fair point and one thing you'd think we would have got right! We will try harder but tapes are coming in from all over the BBC in different formats and some of this first batch have gone out squished or stretched we know."

Crap quality and it's not YouTube's fault. :(

I'm just wondering. Does this mean that the BBC will stop pulling the top gear videos?

"Mr Highfield said the BBC would not be hunting down all BBC-copyrighted clips already uploaded by YouTube members - although it would reserve the right to swap poor quality clips with the real thing"

Bollocks. They've done the complete opposite!

I am just bewildered now - after having my account suspended because of their legislation they are now saying they will not be taking any copyrighted videos down? They even admitted to favouring the free promotion. Surely Youtube could be in a position to reinstate accounts previously suspended due to the BBC?

Last edited:
"Mr Highfield said the BBC would not be hunting down all BBC-copyrighted clips already uploaded by YouTube members - although it would reserve the right to swap poor quality clips with the real thing"

Bollocks. They've done the complete opposite!

That's very strange indeed. Could it be that YT took these clips down preemptively to make sure that the BBC would sign the deal? And that they went a bit too far in their pre-coital excitement?

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone who uploaded TG clips in the past. Without you, I would never have become a TopGear fan. It's a shame that some of you got their account suspended.

(And a special thanks goes to YT member "Xurrian" for uploading almost every non-TG BBC show presented by Clarkson. Unfortunately, his member page showed an "account suspended" message today. Xurrian, if you're reading this: if you ever visit my hometown, all drinks are on me :))

I have sent a further email on this development:

Apologies for lumbering you with emails, but I feel obliged to report a recent innovation under the subject of my suspended account situation. I have sent a few previous emails expressing my sentiments - my account was suspended due to apparent infringements under the copyright of the BBC. However, it was announced yesterday about a recent deal that the BBC has finalised with Youtube, which I found on the following webpage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6411017.stm

I quote the following "Mr Highfield said the BBC would not be hunting down all BBC-copyrighted clips already uploaded by YouTube members" and "We don't want to be overzealous, a lot of the material on YouTube is good promotional content for us", which I feel severely undermines their previous accusations.

Since it is now crystal clear that the BBC will not be undergoing the removal of additional copyrighted clips, and instead actually endorses it, I feel that this greatly injustifies my previous suspension. I would be grateful for a further response on this matter.

I uploaded full episodes with much better quality than that crap and at first they suspended my account but I just checked it and they permanently disabled it. :(