What do non-Americans think of NASCAR

I am not a huge fan of NASCAR, but a few years ago I got a ride in a NASCAR Craftsman Race Truck, and let me tell you something, it is WAY more than just go fast and turn left. Those walls come creeping up on you very quickly, and it does take quite a bit of throttle jockeying to keep the car on the proper line.

I also went to an IRL race where I had a radio headset, and that radically changes the experience as well because you can hear a lot of the strategy type stuff so the ovals become quite a bit more entertaining.

I still prefer road course stuff and WRC, but I can appreciate what it takes to drive those cars at the level they do. Think about driving 170 or faster MPH less than 4 inches from the dude in front of you and depending on him to keep his line so that you can maintain the little extra bit of down force you have on your car. if that guy moves a foot one way or the other, you are royally fuxored and all hell could break loose in a split second.

So yeah... I dislike it, but I do watch it on occasion just because it is something to talk about at work, and the wrecks are pretty cool most of the time too!

i think its alright, ill watch if its on, but wont make the effort.

commentators seem full of energy and it is pretty exciting to watch them all dive into the pits on a yellow, see who comes out first. obviously the crashes are the main appeal, but its also pretty good to see cars overtaking constantly and racing 3 wide at 200mph

i have been to see stock car racing and its much better to be there i think. the sound from the cars is awesome.

alot of the tracks are oval, but they do have some traditional race circuits too and those races are just like big BTCC races (ive never seen one, but Papyrus' Nascar Racing has a couple of normal tracks to race)

There's nothing to think about. It's Shit.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of NASCAR and have been for about 15 years. I won't bother trying to convince anyone why, because anybody who has already made up his or her mind won't be swayed by anything I have to say. Another thing I won't do is start a flame war on why F1 doesn't appeal to me, but that said, I do respect the abilities of race drivers of all types.

As well, I don't mind laughing at myself...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/55036

I enjoy the occasional nascar race. It's like anything else really, if you're not already into it, you're not going to be. I never cared for watching golf on TV, but after playing golf in real life, TV Golf is much more interesting. Who here watches Poker tournaments on TV? That must be the most boring thing on the planet, but I still like it.

Nascar... YAWN.... That's a worse snore-fest for me than just about anything else. I watch F1 primarily because of the sheer amounts of technology and brainpower invested in it; what's a Nascar vehicle? An old American brick that runs away scared whenever it sees a real corner. I know F1 has dulled down these days, but for a balance, I also watch MotoGP besides it. Now that's a fantastic show with which you are able to keep up. If only the FIA can tweak the rules a bit in the right direction (all the tweaks so far have been in the wrong one), then F1 and MotoGP, together, if they aim for an even greater audience, should conquer the entire world. And by this I mean the USA as well.

Any1 who has watched and enjoyed "Days of Thunder" will tell you it is very compedative and hugely exciting, after watching a race on cable TV there id only one word to sum it up. Four letter word starts with C ends in P not much of a puzzle but I am sure you can fill in the blanks.

The Mrs watches poker TV, and I can only ask why? maybe she should sit in front of a NASCAR race it has to be more fun to watch.

NASCAR isn't too bad, but ill watch any motor sport, its just the lengths of the race that kills me. Its close racing, but i think it has alot to do with luck and driver skill. I'd rather watch a race and hope to see a result based on better car, and driver skill. The things i want V8 Supercars to take away from NASCAR is the bonus points for Fastest Lap, Most Laps Lead, Pole Position, or are these things from IRL or Champ Cars? Also V8's teams should get bonus points or point for fastest Pit Stop time. Cause at least then having the smaller points on offer these little things will have a larger effect.
Maybe like:
3 points for Pole Position
3 points for Most Laps Lead
2 points for Fastest Lap
1-2 points for Quickest Pitstop

NASCAR isn't too bad, but ill watch any motor sport, its just the lengths of the race that kills me. Its close racing, but i think it has alot to do with luck and driver skill. I'd rather watch a race and hope to see a result based on better car, and driver skill. The things i want V8 Supercars to take away from NASCAR is the bonus points for Fastest Lap, Most Laps Lead, Pole Position, or are these things from IRL or Champ Cars? Also V8's teams should get bonus points or point for fastest Pit Stop time. Cause at least then having the smaller points on offer these little things will have a larger effect.
Maybe like:
3 points for Pole Position
3 points for Most Laps Lead
2 points for Fastest Lap
1-2 points for Quickest Pitstop

Yeah, NASCAR does the bonus points. Oh, and vikirad, about your comment about stock cars running away when they see a "real corner":

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/19/johnson2Ejpglarge.jpg

NASCAR races on Infineon (same as ALMS), Watkins Glen, Monteal (same as F1), and Mexico City. Saying that stock cars can't corner is the same as saying "lol leaf springs/push rods" whenever you see a new Corvette. Its a tad ignorant and a bit silly.

If that were to apply in any motorsport where there's refuelling, then there would be a frenzy of 1-lap stints, with everyone staying on the same tires and doing a splash-and-dash even in the middle of the race...

O well i meant for done here, where teams dont do fuel stops cause there sprint races all done in like 30 - 50 min. All they need to do is a tyre change which takes from 3 - 4 seconds.

Yeah, NASCAR does the bonus points. Oh, and vikirad, about your comment about stock cars running away when they see a "real corner":

*snap*

NASCAR races on Infineon (same as ALMS), Watkins Glen, Monteal (same as F1), and Mexico City. Saying that stock cars can't corner is the same as saying "lol leaf springs/push rods" whenever you see a new Corvette. Its a tad ignorant and a bit silly.

this would of been better to use.....
[YOUTUBE]hC0XBfly_qc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]yQiH_ZZBC7M[/YOUTUBE]
i do have to agree though. it is quite ignorant to sit there and say that these cars are scared to take corners when 1) you don't even live in a country that regularly broadcasts NASCAR races 2) when you don't understand the sport at all.

I've seen a few races on TV and I always switched channels after a few minutes. Compared to what's on offer on TV (F1 and DTM mainly) it just seemed dull.

Having taken a few laps in a Craftsman truck (as a passenger) I can tell you that there is NOTHING boring about those "circles" and this is coming from a guy who use to think it was the dumbest sport on earth. I still don't really follow, but I sure as hell have a LOT more respect for the sport and the drivers.

I dont like it but I respect it.

You make the cars relatively equal and the tracks relatively simple and what you have are 40 drivers turning laps within 2 tenths each other. They're not racing the track or the car like in F1 or other circuit racing. They're racing each other. The level of competition and difficulty make winning a NASCAR race no easier than winning an F1 race.

That said, it aint my style. I find it dull. But oval racing is a completely different animal than circuit racing. The ovals are FUN to drive around and are much faster than a flat track. That's the appeal.

I dont like it but I respect it.

You make the cars relatively equal and the tracks relatively simple and what you have are 40 drivers turning laps within 2 tenths each other. They're not racing the track or the car like in F1 or other circuit racing. They're racing each other. The level of competition and difficulty make winning a NASCAR race no easier than winning an F1 race.

That said, it aint my style. I find it dull. But oval racing is a completely different animal than circuit racing. The ovals are FUN to drive around and are much faster than a flat track. That's the appeal.

see, now this is the kinda stuff that i like to hear. he's also a #1 example that not all southerners like NASCAR. how southern can you get than Macon, Georgia? hell, in Hampton (home of Atlanta Motor Speedway), the sheriff's office is closed on Sundays. i know this from experience going on a roadtrip with my parents trying to find AMS.