Jaguars....

Multiple Jaguars = Multiple Orgasms

One last shot - fixed the fog lights on the Series III yesterday:

IMG_0776.sized.jpg

IMG_0769.sized.jpg

Addition - some exhaust work:

IMG_0915.sized.jpg

IMG_0909.sized.jpg

Dual Magnaflows replacing the four original mufflers/silencers.

This definitely goes to show that the right car designs (even from the '80s) can be timeless when cared for.

That said, how long until you break down and get a new XK? :p

I'm not. The new one is *barely* faster than my 00 was stock, and with the pulley and tune, the 00 is now *far* faster than the new XKR. It has a *real* interior, not one that looks like they lifted it from a Taurus. And it looks *much* better than that abortion Ian Callum cobbled together from some Aston parts and the Mustang parts bin. I'll give you that the new XK handles better out of the box, but as the Jaguar boffins proved with the prior XKR-R, there was a lot of room for improvement in the old car. I'm currently seeing what else can be done to improve the handling on the 'R, and I suspect that it will also end up being better than the new XKR.

With the Magnaflow system on it (both my cars have Magnaflows now), my XKR sounds *far* better than the unrefined rasp that the new car has. So, no, I won't be getting a "new" XKR any time soon.

$27K????

Lucky...

Jags have terrible depreciation! For people who by used = hell of a lotta car for the money.

Exactly. Jaguars depreciate like nothing else. A $90K (USD) XJR becomes a $45-55K (USD) car just by driving it off the lot.

Smart people buy their Jaguars preowned/used. The only exception to that is if you *know* you are going to keep the car at least ten years; then you can buy new (so you know the car has been maintained properly from new) because in 10 years the depreciation won't matter.

Since I bought my XKR convertible, I've seen a *lot* of them going for around the same price. I've even seen an 02 XKR coupe going for $20K.

Very nice Jags there... The strange thin about Jaguars I think is that they move you like no other car in it's class does. I have been driving our Jaguar many times and looked at people driving BMWs, Mercs and Audis, always with a serious look on their face, and I'm just wondering; Once they see the Jaguar, perhaps they realize that they bought the wrong car? And I'm glad to report that we haven't had any problems with out Jaguar, except from the traction control that gave up last summer, but it was quickly fixed.

I haven't really been a fan of the XKR convertible, as I always prefer coupes to their convertible counterparts. For me the best looking of the old XK was this, the XKR 450 Typhoon made by Racing Green cars in the UK using parts from Arden.

car_photo_23707_5.jpg

Spectre, that is an awesome collection. I was trying really hard for a 2003 XJR but even at their price points i could not find an acceptable one in the price range so I "settled" for an E420 which is a great car and at least has a V8. I still want an XJR though....maybe once we put the E420 out to pasture I will pick up an 04 with the new current body style. great cars man!

What kind of numbers did you put down on the Dyno?

I'm not going to post them at the moment because there is some discussion (among the club that had the dyno day that I had attended) as to whether the numbers were accurate or not. I'm going to wait and see how it shapes up before I post numbers I may have to retract later.

Suffice it to say my US-spec car (after some mild modifications) is now faster than a stock Euro-spec car (with the shorter gears, higher compression, and better cams); a friend of mine with one and I have raced and my car is faster. It also will go an honest 135mph before touching redline - previously it had trouble exceeding 120, and the original top speed was 124.

Last edited:
FYI, we're looking at adding another one to the 'family stable' for my stepmother in California, a 95-97 XJR with low miles (320hp I6 with the blower, stronger transmission and simpler electrics than the later cars, and very amenable to more boost). We're seeing lots of candidates for $10K USD or less with less than 70,000 miles on the clock.

Very true, they seem to be a great deal.

How is the search going? My sister's car ate its trans so I'm looking for a replacement. Suggest any links for me to readup? Mmmm, just the thought. :)

Update: Since I posted this elsewhere, I thought I'd post a pic of my Series III doing what it does best:

HPIM0433.jpg

I've put about 10,000 miles on it since I took the picture.

Ian, sorry about not getting back to you, still need help?

And a link to everything that's on that Series III, along with everything pending:

Link!

Looking good. Can't wait to see the supercharger and computer install. Should be quite a sleeper.

As for my sisters car, I found a few R's around here... I'm still looking - might grab a 528i that we found. They sure are pretty cars (the R), but I know more about the repair / parts group for BMW's now. . . hard decision.

I've been thinking about getting an XJ6 myself. I'm looking at the 1987 to 1992 years. They are cheap, have low miles, and are in good shape. I am a little worried about insurance, fuel, and repair costs though.