BBC makes deal with Youtube, starting BBC channels

Jacobfox

Car(s)
VW GTI 4-Door (MKVI)
Source Dailytech.com:
YouTube and the British Broadcasting Corp. recently announced a deal in which YouTube users will be able to access BBC content through YouTube, the popular online video sharing web site. BBC hopes the deal will help reach new audiences overseas and greatly increase revenue. The deal has been called a "ground-breaking partnership" that will "engage new audiences in the UK and abroad," said Mark Thompson, BBC director general.

YouTube will feature three new BBC channels -- BBC, BBC Worldwide, BBC News -- with the first two channels dedicated to content and shows, the last channel solely offering news. The BBC News channel will offer consumers 30 news clips per day, according to BBC.

A quick search for shows such as The Office or EastEnders on YouTube revealed many clips, including full episodes of the shows. BBC will also not actively hunt down copyrighted clips to have YouTube remove them -- but may swap poor-quality show clips for ones that are higher quality.

YouTube already has deals with CBS, NBC and Fox, while in negotiations with other large broadcasters. BBC is now the first international broadcaster to agree to a deal with YouTube.

Both BBC and YouTube declined to discuss terms of the agreement, except that advertising revenue would be shared from two of the three BBC channels.

I'm really stoked about this, the BBC will probably include Top gear in this.

A-Okay by me if they do include TG

This kind of philosophy is the future. The BBC is forward thinking here.

This is great news :)

I still prefer to have a rip from VUK, but that does sound good.

Hooray for BBC.
That's much smarter than hunting down people who post their content.