Male: 56%
Female: 44%

16 - 24: 14%
25 - 34: 20%
35 - 44: 21%
45 - 54: 16%
55 - 64: 10%
65+: 8%

Top Gear got an impressive 8 million average on Sunday night with 29.7% audience share. The episode started off with 7.2 million and climbed to an incredible 8.6 million peak.

On the night Top Gear was the joint third most watched show only being beaten by Coronation Street and Lewis - it came joint third with Emmerdale.

It was the top rated show in it's timeslot beating Rough Diamond on BBC ONE (3.4 million), Wild at Heart on ITV1 (7.6 million), Bodyshock on Channel 4 (1.7 million) and Grey's Anatomy on five (0.8 million).

Top six shows

Coronation Street (10.4 million)
Lewis (8.4 million)
+Top Gear (8.0 million) Higher because of a higher peak
+Emmerdale (8.0 million)
Wild at Heart (7.6 million)
ITV News (5.8 million)
Comic Relief Does Car Booty (4.9 million)

Ratings this series

9x01 - 8.1 million
9x02 - 7.2 million
9x03 - 6 million
9x04 - 7.4 million
9x05 - 7.4 million
9x06 - 8 million

Last edited:
Does Greys Anatomy only get 800,000 viewers over there?? Here in Australia, it's the most watched weekly show.

Good to see Top Gear do so well after people said it should be axed after the crash. Roll on season 10!!

That's amazing that local programming can be so popular over the American stuff. Here in Canada our domestic shows are at best 1/10 as popular as the American shows.

That's because a bunch of people have already seen these shows six months before from the US. ;)

Yeah imports rarely get more than 1 million unless they're REALLY big and then they won't get more than 2 million.

Isn't it also because five is a pay-tv channel in the UK? Significantly less viewership than free to air is to be expected.

Isn't it also because five is a pay-tv channel in the UK? Significantly less viewership than free to air is to be expected.

No, five is free. Sky is the pay-tv channel that tends to come out on top of the cable ratings [though rarely hits a million viewers at once].

Five is one of the five free terrestrial channels in the UK, everyone with a TV get's Five.

Upyourego, I just wanted to ask, do you have any sort of idea what TG was pulling in back in Season 1 and 2.

BTW I'd just like to say thanks for providing this info, makes for some really interesting reading.

But five isn't actually free, is it? Isn't the TV license fee for TV viewing in general? I know the proceeds go to the BBC but I thought that the fee was technically for any channel.

LoneWolf - Funny enough I can tell you what TG was getting back in Series 1 (of the current format) - I created a roundup of ratings.

Series 1 and 2 had an average of 3 to 3.5 million. I've posted a full breakdown on my site here.

http://www.upyourego.com/topgear_ratings.htm

Shawn - Sort of - the TV licence is basically for the right to recieve a television signal in the UK so technically five isn't free but it is free to air - you don't need to pay AGAIN to recieve it (you don't need a cable or satellite subscription).

It's also available over the air without the need for an extra box or digital reciever.

But five isn't actually free, is it? Isn't the TV license fee for TV viewing in general? I know the proceeds go to the BBC but I thought that the fee was technically for any channel.

Depends how you intepret it. Yes, strictly speaking Five isn't free because you have to pay the TV license. But if you want to own a TV and use it, you have to pay the TVL anyway, which means no channel is free.

So, considering you can get Five (along with the other four channels) on terrestrial for the basic TVL, it can and is considered a free channel.

Hmm, I see. It's a technicality issue then.

I know the license fee is a bit of a topic in the UK but you know, I'm all for it. All you need to do is compare the BBC's quality programming with the garbage coming out of America. I'm not sure how having a license fee makes the programming better but it sure seems to.

Sorry for going OT, it's 4:30am here and my brain is fried.

Hmm, I see. It's a technicality issue then.

I know the license fee is a bit of a topic in the UK but you know, I'm all for it. All you need to do is compare the BBC's quality programming with the garbage coming out of America. I'm not sure how having a license fee makes the programming better but it sure seems to.

Sorry for going OT, it's 4:30am here and my brain is fried.

x2

Or compare it to what ITV, or even the rubbish Sky (aka Murdoch tv) produce. I for one am more then happy to continue paying the TVL.

Does everyone have subscription services in the UK too? Because if the free stuff is good enough, you're paying a lot less than us.

Well 8 million people subscribe to Sky (satellite) and 4 million to Virgin (cable) so yeah of the 35 million TV homes in the UK 12 million homes paying for extra tv is pretty high.

The pay tv gives you access to American imports, repeats of BBC and ITV shows and if you pay even more Sport and Movies.

Am I the only one really surprised by the American special being, according to ratings, the low point in the season?

Am I the only one really surprised by the American special being, according to ratings, the low point in the season?

Possibly down to 9x02 not being as good so less tuned in next week. Probably the best way to get an idea of how much people liked the episodes is to look at the ratings for the repeat showings.

That is more likely a response to episode two than the actual episode itself. You can normally read these as the ratings from the next week are the reaction to the previous week.

So low ratings for episode three probably means fewer people enjoyed episode two.

The fact that episode four was high again can be read that people enjoyed the American special (the repeat rating for episode three were up on usual as well).