LS7.R named the Global Motorsport Engine of the Year

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
Corvette Racing?s V8 wins prestigious award
16 November 2006

General Motor?s small-block V8 added another accolade to a long list of honours when Corvette Racing's LS7.R was named the Global Motorsport Engine of the Year at the inaugural Professional Motorsport World Expo in Cologne, Germany on November 9.

The race-prepared LS7.R engine, which shares its architecture with the production LS7 small-block V8, propelled Corvette Racing to its fifth GT1 class victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 18, 2006. The 7.0-litre engine also powered the Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars to the 2006 American Le Mans Series manufacturers?, drivers? and teams? championships with a perfect reliability record.

?Winning this award is another milestone in the history of the legendary GM small-block V8,? said GM Racing Director Mark Kent. ?The championship-winning LS7.R has evolved into a very high level of development, yet it retains the longstanding virtues of compact size, simplicity, reliability and high specific output that have made the GM small-block V8 the world?s most successful production-based racing engine.?

The 2006 Race Engine of the Year Awards were organised by Race Engine Technology magazine. The editors made three nominations in each of the four categories: Grand Prix Engine of the Year, Global Motorsport Engine of the Year, North American Race Engine of the Year, and Alternative Power Race Engine of the Year. The magazine then invited votes from 50 key race engine engineers representing the spectrum of motorsports.

?Never before have so many experts voted for a competition engine award,? said Race Engine Technology editor Ian Bamsey. ?Each of the category winners was a genuine selection by an impressive jury of peers.?

The Global Motorsport Engine of the Year award was given to GM engineer Roger Allen, engine manager for Corvette Racing. Herb Fishel, former director of GM Racing, accepted the award on behalf of Allen and GM Racing at the ceremony. The Corvette Racing program was conceived in 1996 under Fishel?s guidance.

?Winning this prestigious award spotlights the technical expertise of GM Racing and the world-class team of partners and suppliers who have contributed so much to the success of the LS7.R engine,? said Allen. ?Winning at Le Mans, winning the ALMS championships, and winning this award are all tributes to the teamwork of Pratt & Miller Engineering, Katech Engine Development, and all of the LS7.R component suppliers.?

The LS7.R is the heir to the GM small-block V8?s winning tradition that began in 1955. The small-block V8 is the foundation of the hot rod and high-performance industries and the cornerstone of racing series around the world. GM has produced approximately 90 million small-block V8 engines with a combined output of 27 billion horsepower.

GM Powertrain developed the production 512 horsepower LS7 small-block V8 that powers the Corvette Z06 using many competition-derived components and design features. The LS7 bristles with race-inspired technology from Corvette Racing, including titanium connecting rods and inlet valves, a dry-sump lubrication system, CNC-ported cylinder heads, a forged steel crankshaft, and a big-bore aluminium block with plate-honed cylinders.

http://www.easier.com/view/News/Motoring/Cadillac/article-84009.html

Notch another one for the small block.:D

:\

'race-inspired technology' the most over used statement in history. And yay for the vette, not for this, but for the other important ones.

'race-inspired technology' the most over used statement in history. And yay for the vette, not for this, but for the other important ones.

The LS7.R is the race engine and the production LS7 features were pioneered on race vehicles.

That's a given, i know.

27 billion horsepower!

But the HP/liter, and the pushrods! PUSH RODS FOR GOD SAKE!!! :evil: :tease:

If I'm not mistaken the 427 blocks ARE the race blocks. So that isn't exactly "race inspired."

But the HP/liter, and the pushrods! PUSH RODS FOR GOD SAKE!!! :evil: :tease:

If I'm not mistaken the 427 blocks ARE the race blocks. So that isn't exactly "race inspired."
The Z06.R's engine's only differences between itself and the LS7 is no catalytic converters or butterfly valves and an ECU tuned for race gas. It has been unbeatable in FIA GT recently.

Gotta love those Vettes..

It's a great engine from what i know, there are a good few projects to plant LS's into TVR's over here in the UK, Cerberas mostly.

The thing is, we are in a era of electronics rather than whats inside the motor and for all the shit that everybody gives GM they really are ontop of this stuff.

All the construction techniques etc that go into this motor and the like you suddenly realise that even tho its a pushrod motor its all the way up there! The other things like it weight and the like are something that very few people touch on, but for what it is, its pehnominal. Even motors like the LS1 earn my respect.

For example I love my Nissan RB (Skyline) engine in my Holden, but I have to face facts that even tho its a double overhead cam motor with 24 valves, for its weight its a piece of s**t with a piss poor powerband......

As for the HP/Litre, it should be AIR DISPLACEMENT PER LITRE stupid idiots.....

As for the HP/Litre, it should be AIR DISPLACEMENT PER LITRE stupid idiots.....

Personally I think any of that is retarded. If anyone wants to argue useful points how about Fuel Economy per HP or HP per Weight or Fuel Economy per HP per Weight?

BTW, I've heard the RB motors weigh in the area of 700lbs (about 320kg?) I just can't remember if thats with or without a trans, if it's without, a 70's Big Block is lighter and far more power capable.

I fear having brought this up is going to bring out the morons, so I will save some face by claiming to be trying to have a legitimately serious discussion on this subject.

LMAO. That means alot from somebody with a Skyline avatar.

Actually It's a Nissan GTR not a Skyline.. And i don't have a pic of mah Volvo!! 8)

ed. Happy now?

Last edited:
Personally I think any of that is retarded. If anyone wants to argue useful points how about Fuel Economy per HP or HP per Weight or Fuel Economy per HP per Weight?

BTW, I've heard the RB motors weigh in the area of 700lbs (about 320kg?) I just can't remember if thats with or without a trans, if it's without, a 70's Big Block is lighter and far more power capable.

I fear having brought this up is going to bring out the morons, so I will save some face by claiming to be trying to have a legitimately serious discussion on this subject.

I can weigh it if you want, but which RB? lol, there are quite a lot of diffrent types! erm I think from memory a old RB20DE came in around 220kg without a trans....don't quote me on that, I'll double check for you.

I've only had a look once in my life at a Chev smallblock (LS1) out of a Holden VX Commodore Ute and I was impressed. Much more compact and felt a lot lighter on the engine crane....then again that may be because of the ungainly dimensions of the RB engine. RB's are by no means unkillable, lol to tell you the truth they seem to die quite a lot. :lol: I think the main problem is that once you put the twincam heads on RB's the weight distribution of the motor goes top heavy. You may mock pushrods (I do! :p ) but you can't argue with the fact as far as motor weigh distribution goes they are the best thing out there (just don't include boxer engines!)

As for RB gearboxes there are 3 main types (in manuals), one light weight box and the two heavy duty boxes. The Automatic gearboxes are very very very heavy, again depending on what type.

I know, I've had my arguments mostly with young Americans who can't drive yet and have been brought up on a diet of the "mythical" Skyline with its "unkillable" engine and they can't seem to understand that nothing is unkillable nor unbeatable. They will not pull 750kw (1000ish HP) out of a stock motor....lol what a joke.....:lol: :lol:

I've jumped on the Skylines Oz forums and NZ skylines site a few times. A friend of a friend owns one of the skylines used in the American Touge (at least if it's the same GT-R I think it is).

The RB I was talking about was the RB26, thats the one most people in the US will jerk off at the mere utterance of its name. I think the guys doing RB swaps in 240's/silvia/(wtf ever you want to call it) here in the US are stupid, parts aren't all that common, and it's a heavier longer motor. I may be sick of hearing "SR20 swap" but it makes far more sense in than a damn RB engine, at least if something breaks on an SR20 there is a chance the local autozone may have the part you need in a pinch.

One of the first things I read on both of those forums was the cheap mods guys do, and the fact that either the pistons will burn up, or the rods crush like a 4 year old under a bus above 450hp. The more I read on there, and the more I've seen on TV shows in the US involving "tuner" versions of the GT-R's, the less I think they are really anything that special. At this point I want to drive one to see what all the fuss is about. I'd wager a tuned FD or FC would be far funner to drive though.

I don't mock Pushrods, I'm usually one to defend the 'vette (though I don't think it's some unbeatable ungodly machine). OHC's have their benefits, small dimensions is not one of them. The small block became popular in the first place because of it's small size or better put Power to weight/size ratios. And no matter how bad anyone tries, can anyone honestly say the modern SBC (LSx engines) are bad after having driven them? Even the Anti-American Clarkson loves it.

I'm curious to see if GM ever produces the Dual cam Engine they've been testing. It still has pushrods but allows the proper use of variable valve timing. Though they are apparently playing with 3 and 4 valve cylinder heads that are still pushrod actuated. Not surprising there though, American Diesel engines have been doing that for decades.

Last edited:
Some cars just dont have room for pushrods because of their large physical size. I will admit though that the LS7 is one hell of an engine. Light, powerful, torquy, what more could you possibly want?