PS3 Thread

It's a sim-style interface by the sound of it. Such 3d environments, while being easy on the eyes, are not known for their efficiency. Every 3d environmental interface (outside of a game, of course) I have ever used has been slow and cumbersome. Why dupiclate the real world in computers when you are not constrained by any of the same limitations?

Live has a great interface that is intuitive and quick. I tried to imagine giving that up to walk around a 3d virtual "home" and I didn't like the thought. No, I haven't used this particular interface, but based on the description I have used ones similar in various games and programs. None of them were very good. Can Sony do a better job? Maybe, but I think they are trying to polish a turd.

Honest opinion.

Wait for it...Good job Sony. This is actually pretty cool. The trophies are cooler than achievements and the bowling and stuff is pretty unique. This does very much remind me of second life. Which also means you could get microtransaction whored. But overall it is a step in the right direction. The only thing though, I would not actually want to use it for matchmaking or use it at all. Just not my cup of tea. But overall it is a good move.

Worth the price of a PS3...well for me no, but others maybe.

This sunday I'll try to get one for Free ))

10 PS3 will be given away at Gamex-expo in Russia! I'll post Photos of Russian PS3 start later after that.

There's no Tetris for the PS3, I would just sell it instead. :p

I love how for achievement that they show 4 pics and yet only one is related to achievements.

I dunno though. Honestly I do not really want to create a character and have a MMO as an interface. Just not me. Rather go out and actually meet with the people. But live does need to get the 3d achievements if other developers hop on board too.

I love how for achievement that they show 4 pics and yet only one is related to achievements.

I dunno though. Honestly I do not really want to create a character and have a MMO as an interface. Just not me. Rather go out and actually meet with the people. But live does need to get the 3d achievements if other developers hop on board too.

Just about everything you can do in Home can also be done through the cross media bar. It just won't look as cool.

- IGN

Ya but as of now the cross media bar is really bad. I still would prefer the Xbox way. Although I never said Home sucks. Because it is really good.

Penny Arcade sees the Light

Penny Arcade sees the Light

47d4dpf.jpg

Sony, Immersion Make Nice in Patent Case

By Jordan Robertson
AP
03/02/07 7:54 AM PT

Sony and Immersion have agreed to settle a long-simmering patent infringement lawsuit in which Sony was accused of using Immersion's vibration technology in its PlayStation game controller. As part of the settlement, the two companies said that they will look into ways to use the technology in PlayStation products.

Sony (NYSE: SNE) and Immersion (Nasdaq: IMMR) said Thursday they have settled their long-simmering patent dispute over the vibration technology that shakes video game controllers, and will work together to bring the so-called "rumble" function back to PlayStation products.

The litigation threatened to halt Sony's U.S. sales Email Marketing Software - Free Demo of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles, controllers and games that use Immersion's "vibro-tactile" technology.

The patented technology adds a sense of realism to video game play by jolting the player's hands whenever there's gunfire, explosions, crashes or other dramatic on-screen events.

Immersion's shares jumped nearly 32 percent in after-hours trading, while Sony's stock plunged 6.2 percent to 5,830 yen (US$49.36) in Tokyo Friday.
Settlement Resolves All Issues

Immersion sued Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment America in 2002 seeking $299 million in damages.

A federal court jury found in 2004 that Sony violated two of Immersion's patents, and a judge the next year ordered Sony to pay hefty damages and stop selling products with the patented technology.

The court issued an immediate stay until Sony's appeal could be resolved.

The companies said in a joint statement Thursday that the settlement resolves all pending litigation between them surrounding the patented technology.
Big Pay Day

As part of the truce, Sony will pay Immersion $97.2 million in damages and interest, as stipulated in the original court award that Sony was appealing.

Sony will also pay $22.5 million in licensing payments through 2009 plus an unspecified amount of fees and royalties.

In total, Sony will cough up at least $150.3 million to settle the litigation, when factoring in $30.6 million in compulsory license payments the Japanese company has already paid.

In return, Sony will get unspecified rights to some of Immersion's patents and will explore ways to include the technology in future PlayStation products. No further details of the business arrangement or terms of the deal were disclosed.

Sony, which did not include the vibration function in the new PlayStation 3 hardware, said the conclusion of the litigation would not have a material impact on its earnings forecast released on Jan. 30.

Immersion's shares jumped $2.30, or nearly 32 percent, to $9.53 in after-hours trading after the settlement was announced, and the company reported a narrower loss for the fourth quarter. Immersion's shares were down 7 cents during the regular session on the Nasdaq Stock Market

Source

And this...
Gran Turismo HD 2.0 Impressions

The pinnacle racing franchise finally gets Force Feedback.

by Chris Roper

US, March 23, 2007 - To coincide with the UK release of the PlayStation 3, Sony and Polyphony Digital have revved their engines and moved Gran Turismo HD to the European PlayStation Store. But while US and Japanese gamers are still running laps in version 1.1, UK gamers have gotten the world's first taste of Gran Turismo HD Concept 2.0.

Largely identical to version 1.1 (and 1.0 for that matter), GTHD 2.0 includes the same 10 cars, the Eiger Nordwand track and time trial and drift options. However, there's one major difference: Version 2.0 includes Force Feedback support. Yes indeed, now that Sony and Immersion have kissed and made up, Polyphony has been able to implement the technology into the game. Listing official support for four Logitech wheels, namely the Driving Force Pro, GT Force, Driving Force and Driving Force EX, racers are now able to actually feel the road as they compete for leading laps times on the game's online leaderboard.

Source

My bro picked up a PS3 yesterday. I must say, the system is huge. It looks kind a george foreman grill. Anyway, he also picked up Virtua Fighter 5. Ugh, it was terrible....I played one round and it made me feel sick. I told him to get rid of the game, sell it or trade it...whatever. He also got Formula 1....which was better. Once he gets the system online, it should be a pleasing experience. No force feedback though, which is ridiculous.

VF5 is one of those niche games, and it's the best at what it's supposed to be, which is the most technical and deep fighting game on the market. People who like fighting games will love it, otherwise, stay away.