Free DVD with 2/2007 issue of Top Gear Magazine

we've never had any luck finding the magazine at borders or b/n in the washington dc area. Anyone see it around here? What about in Austin, TX?

My Borders has it here in NJ. Big Hint: It wasn't in the typical car-mag section (though on the same aisle). It was down futher next to all of the racing magazines / f1 / etc. Just past the aviation section.

Now, how the freak do I play a PAL / Region 2 DVD :mad:

Last edited:
The DVD, assuming it's the same as the UK one, is complete crap. Don't bother buying the magazine especially for it. I grabbed it off the net when it wasn't bundled with the issue over here, and it's massively disappointing. It's only 30 minutes long for crying out loud!

The DVD, assuming it's the same as the UK one, is complete crap. Don't bother buying the magazine especially for it. I grabbed it off the net when it wasn't bundled with the issue over here, and it's massively disappointing. It's only 30 minutes long for crying out loud!

It is, I just got the DVD working - the races are heavily edited and don't feature any of the original music. They cut basically half off of the Veyron race alone. :(

My Borders has it here in NJ. Big Hint: It wasn't in the typical car-mag section (though on the same aisle). It was down futher next to all of the racing magazines / f1 / etc. Just past the aviation section.

Now, how the freak do I play a PAL / Region 2 DVD :mad:

PAL DVDs will play on any PC DVD drive, however you must make sure your PC DVD player is region free. I have an application on my computers that lift the region lock outs, plus my regular home DVD players are also region free because i watch a lot of foriegn region DVD movies AND it plays PAL as well as NTSC.

I learned this the hard way when i had another TG PAL DVD, i had no idea it was PAL until i copied it for other friends who complainedthe video was playing back funny and i had no idea what they were going on about.

Ed

PAL DVDs will play on any PC DVD drive, however you must make sure your PC DVD player is region free. I have an application on my computers that lift the region lock outs, plus my regular home DVD players are also region free because i watch a lot of foriegn region DVD movies AND it plays PAL as well as NTSC.

I learned this the hard way when i had another TG PAL DVD, i had no idea it was PAL until i copied it for other friends who complainedthe video was playing back funny and i had no idea what they were going on about.

Ed

You can find instructions online for a lot of DVD players that will take off the region encoding. This one helped me, but there are others out there.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Ok, so for some reason, in America at least, only Borders bookstore chain package the Top Gear The Races compilation bonus DVD with the 2/07 issue of the magazine, which im assuming because of the sticker that says 'Border's Newstand Exclusive'. This was confirmed as Barnes n Noble copies of the issue as well as copies in onther newsstands and bookstores did not package this DVD.

As far as the DVD itself, i haven't had a chance to watch it yet and its only the 612, SLR and Veyron race, minus the DB9 challenge.

Just want to hear if other ppl found this DVD packaged with the magazine. I assume this came with all the issues sold in the UK, but i dont know about the rest of the world.

http://img185.imageshack.**/img185/7254/cimg0407em1.jpg

Ed

glad to see fellow nasioc/i-club members on the finalgear forums! :)

yep got it, I was surprised they included that. Why couldn't tehy just include it on the previous magazine. Anyway atleast they brought it over here

well, we did look at two DC area Borders, and spoke with the periodical buyers at those and two others....and none carry it. Very odd. One knew they had it at the California store he'd worked at previously, but didn't know why it wasn't in MD.

I bought my copy at a Borders in NYC, so no idea why some have it and some dont

I bought my copy at a Borders in NYC, so no idea why some have it and some dont

i'm sure it's based on some marketing survey showing that people in the dc metro aren't interested in cars. Or in UK publications. Or something. We used to have a bunch of great newstands that catered to the international community (duh, it is DC, home to an embassy and chancery or two), but the chains have taken over.