Mythbusters attempt to beat the Speedtrap; Failure Ensues

I'm not Takumi

Car(s)
Toyota AE86 Corolla
Torrent here: http://www.mininova.org/tor/612117

Basic summary:

Mythbusters are pestered by fans to do Speedtrap myths. They focus on Speed and technical devices (i.e. License Plate Covers) to beat the camera. They do it horribly. Lulz ensues.

Special guest apperances by a Dodge Neon and a "severely snipped" Lambo Gallardo. And many fans on the fansite have pretty much denounced the Mythbusters from not taking a tactic used by our own beloved Richard Hammond and Black Stig from the very first episode of Top Gear.

As much as I like Mythbusters, I think sometimes they leave out important info or skew their results. It's like they don't want people to know certain things, like how to beat speedtraps.

As much as I like Mythbusters, I think sometimes they leave out important info or skew their results. It's like they don't want people to know certain things, like how to beat speedtraps.

More like Lawyers and Insurance type of stuff, which sucks all the fun outta it. Plus they did show one surefire way to beat the camera (abeit an illegal one).

theyre definitely not that thioroug, probably for legal reasons and because if the people eat it up anyways, why go more hardcore?

They failed for obvious reasons on this one...they want complaints so they can revisit it :D

I'd screw it up every time just because. Also in a case like this I don't think they want to piss off the people that would bitch "you're helping people break the law." Which is why they don't always give all the recipes to the bombs and stuff they build.

BTW, didn't Hammond/stig find to beat the UK style cameras one had to break 170? I know the UK ones require 2 pictures to do the job, rather than our system radar, which honestly I doubt is all that beatable with excessive speed.

I'd screw it up every time just because. Also in a case like this I don't think they want to piss off the people that would bitch "you're helping people break the law." Which is why they don't always give all the recipes to the bombs and stuff they build.

They do show illegal activities on Discovery....It Takes a Theif has ways you can break into houses, and Overhaulin on TLC actively uses the felony called Grand Theft Auto to grab cars.

So it's kinda a moot point for Mythbusters to claim "Oh, we don't wanna show you ways to ************* and to make ***********" when two other Discovery shows do the exact opposite.

I think they wanna revisit this one.. Another chance to drive the lambo.. hehe

it would be nice if they would reference topgear one of these days

it would be nice if they would reference topgear one of these days

Knowing them, they won't. Ever see how badly they react to fan comments whenever they do Gun Myths?

"Oh you didn't use enough powder.....YOU USED THE WRONG GUN!!!.....WTF, where is the gun safety?!?!?!"

And before I forget, anyone rememeber a few seasons back where Hammond used a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747 and used one of the engines to demolish two cars? That aired less than a few months after Mythbusters couldn't do their own JetTaxi Myth due to "insurance reasons."

Last edited:
They do show illegal activities on Discovery....It Takes a Theif has ways you can break into houses, and Overhaulin on TLC actively uses the felony called Grand Theft Auto to grab cars.

So it's kinda a moot point for Mythbusters to claim "Oh, we don't wanna show you ways to ************* and to make ***********" when two other Discovery shows do the exact opposite.
I'm pretty sure they have prior arrangements with the owners before they do that stuff. So in other words, stealing the cars on Overhaulin is most likely faked.

And before I forget, anyone rememeber a few seasons back where Hammond used a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747 and used one of the engines to demolish two cars? That aired less than a few months after Mythbusters couldn't do their own JetTaxi Myth due to "insurance reasons."
I knew that one was total BS even before I saw the Top Gear version. The jet the Mythbusters used had nowhere near the power of the plane mentioned in the myth and then they say a jet engine can't turn over a car. (The engine they used was actually pretty darn weak.)

And they wouldn't let Adam do that stunt on the movie special, even though it was set up and supervised by stunt professionals. Just look at all the stuff they get away with on TG, especially Hammond. 8)

In conclusion: I hate insurance companies.

On a side note, I got to see Adam and Jamie in person and even shook their hands and got autographs. :mrgreen:

it wasnt a gallardo, it was an lp640, and it seriously looked like they knew you COULD beat the speed camera, but didn't want to promote how to do it to the public. Why did they switch from the 2 mile runway to what looked like a half mile track? According to the first episode of top gear they were still about 35mph off the necesary speed. And they didnt use photoelectric glass liscence plates covers, which I happen to know for a fact work.

I'm pretty sure they have prior arrangements with the owners before they do that stuff. So in other words, stealing the cars on Overhaulin is most likely faked.

Not with Overhaulin. They steal and modify the car prior to getting permission from the registered owner with help of someone close (like a Wife or Friend).

it wasnt a gallardo, it was an lp640, and it seriously looked like they knew you COULD beat the speed camera, but didn't want to promote how to do it to the public. Why did they switch from the 2 mile runway to what looked like a half mile track? According to the first episode of top gear they were still about 35mph off the necesary speed. And they didnt use photoelectric glass liscence plates covers, which I happen to know for a fact work.

Sorry, but my field of expertise is Japanese Cars, especially Kei cars.

I wouldn't mind getting Kari Byron's autograph...

kari-byron.jpg

32196_051306_KariByron_03_B.jpg

http://www.fhmonline.com/pop_video.asp?idx_id=2243

The above is a video from her FHM shoot.

Yeah she's the only reason I'll watch the show. They always leave out stuff and their results are almost always skewed. I don't see why no one tries the Photoblocker spray which glares your license plate from the camera. Supposedly many news teams have covered it and it has indeed worked but neither TG or Mythbusters tried it.

It's far from a moot point.

To catch a thief gets permission, otherwise discovery would be sued out the ass. Also, the premise of the show is to show you how to AVOID having that happen to you. They tell you how the thieves work, and how to protect yourself from them.

Overhaulin doesn't show people how to steal cars. I don't see them ever showing anyone how to properly use a slim jim, or hot wire a car. The closest I think I've seen is them using the easiest way of stealing a car... a flat bed.

All that is different from flat out showing someone how to get away with breaking speed laws, or building explosives "for scientific purposes." Because we all know if you show a 10 year old how to build a small bomb he's gonna be stupid enough to give his parents an excuse to sue Discovery.

It's far from a moot point.

To catch a thief gets permission, otherwise discovery would be sued out the ass. Also, the premise of the show is to show you how to AVOID having that happen to you. They tell you how the thieves work, and how to protect yourself from them.

All that is different from flat out showing someone how to get away with breaking speed laws, or building explosives "for scientific purposes." Because we all know if you show a 10 year old how to build a small bomb he's gonna be stupid enough to give his parents an excuse to sue Discovery.

Tell me how showing the Actual Burglary as it happens and how they got in is no different than showing someone how to beat the speedtrap camera, even if it is illegal??

Overhaulin doesn't show people how to steal cars. I don't see them ever showing anyone how to properly use a slim jim, or hot wire a car. The closest I think I've seen is them using the easiest way of stealing a car... a flat bed.

Overhaulin' does show an aspect of how people can steal cars. While I won't say how, i've heard cases where fellow tuner cars have been "stolen" via the same tactic Overhaulin' does to grab cars. Even unscrupilous (profession name redacted) have done the exact same tactic to extort "money for services not rendered legally in any form."

Last edited:
I like mythbusters a lot, but I must admit that was the lamest test ever, but I imagine it's like when they tested trying to beat the breathalyzer. There are ways to do it, but they don't really want to give your average Joe the tools to be a bigger dickhead.

The fact they didn't use a real speed camera is just plan silly though. Those camera's don't use top of the range SLR digicams, as far as I understand they use low lux camera's which is why these sprays work as they bounce a lot of IR back.

I was trying to find a clip from car wars where they caught someone with a modified plate, they definitely work.

Also just incase some one try's to argue mythbusters were right.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-qv4gYAE8[/YOUTUBE]

I love the mythbusters, i really do.

In this case, they did it wrong. I wont email and complain coz im sure they knew they could of done it. They arn't idiots i just think that discovery gives them limitations, can you imagine what would of happened if they showed that? people would complain that people are dyeing coz myth busters told them to go faster than 170 MPH and you won't get caught.

So many people would complain, and say they are trying to convince there kids to just drive faster if yo uwanna beat the speed camera.

So that sucks, honestly they shouldn't of botherd if they wern't able to do it. But anyway its nice that they tried. I've only thought this way once so its not bad outa however many episodes there is now. 70 maybe?