Top Gear will return, BBC insists

Asad_786

Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen Polo
Top Gear will return, BBC insists

Top Gear will return in the summer, the BBC has said - despite host Jeremy Clarkson declaring that it will not.

At the end of latest series last week, the BBC Two announcer assured viewers the show would be back in the summer.

But in his newspaper column in The Sun, Clarkson said: "Can I just say, here and now, it won't be."

A BBC spokesman responded by saying: "Top Gear will be back. A summer special is planned." A new series would reach screens in the autumn, he added.

Ratings winner

"We're expecting all three boys to present the programmes."

But he refused to give any further details or explain the confusion.

The show made a successful comeback in January, four months after co-host Richard Hammond was involved in a serious high-speed crash while filming.

An estimated eight million people tuned in to see the last episode in the series on Sunday - BBC Two's largest audience for 10 years.

Source - BBC News

I was at the filming of the last episode and the crew said it had indeed been renewed for a new series, Clarkson and May did joke a few times that their contracts were up, including clarkson saying 'see you on ITV!' after the filming. It has certainly been renewed, I think they are just negotiating their new contracts as hosts.

This is all very worrying.

I was at the filming of the last episode and the crew said it had indeed been renewed for a new series, Clarkson and May did joke a few times that their contracts were up, including clarkson saying 'see you on ITV!' after the filming. It has certainly been renewed, I think they are just negotiating their new contracts as hosts.

Ah, this might explain why the BBC spokesperson cannot "confirm" his involvement: because he hasn't signed anything. Then the media jumps on this ambiguity to create a story out of it.

But why Clarkson said it's not coming back in the summer if there is a special planned, I don't know. I wonder what he's up to. :| From his comment, it sounded more like the timing of the return was in question, not the return full stop.

Last edited:
Nothing worrying about it. Read Clarksons latest column:

"Only last week, while preparing a Top Gear item on affordable hatchbacks,"

So he's most definately still involved.

Definitely sounds like contract negotiations. hate to say it, but as much as we like a show, its still a job to them, and their right to walk away and look for greener pastures if they choose to. hell any of us in the same situation would probably shoot for the same thing.

Ed

Nothing worrying about it. Read Clarksons latest column:

"Only last week, while preparing a Top Gear item on affordable hatchbacks,"

So he's most definately still involved.

CORSA VXR!

sorry... premature something or other... move along.

Even though its months away from reaching the tube, i cant wait!

It was probably just a negotiating tactic. Clarkson knows that this was one of the best seasons they have had for ratings and if he was negotiating a new contract he could pretty much set his own terms.

Apparently, BBC3 news has just confirmed the return - with all three presenters. I'm giving this to you second-hand so can't be specific about the next part, but it was also stated that they will return with a "different location".

I presume that means they are leaving their current home. I'm aware they have been looking to relocate for a while, maybe this was the root of the confusion.

Apparently, BBC3 news has just confirmed the return - with all three presenters. I'm giving this to you second-hand so can't be specific about the next part, but it was also stated that they will return with a "different location".

I presume that means they are leaving their current home. I'm aware they have been looking to relocate for a while, maybe this was the root of the confusion.

Yes, the Dunsfold lease runs out soon, as they are developing the site. They are having trouble finding a new place, as some councils wont let them build a giant hangar and race track.

Going to be interesting to see where they are going to do the show now.. And how the track is going to be like.

If you ask me, this has been blown way out of proportion..

I for one will miss the old location. A bunch of blokes gathering in a disused aircraft hangar and laying out a track around the tarmac added to the appeal of the show.

I just hope they don't get too "spit and polish" on us. I like the ad-hoc feel.

Yes, I hope they don't go too far with the high tech look of the last series and set it in Mclaren with shiny glass and a proper track. It just wouldn't be the same.

End of an era for the show really.

They can't afford to build there own location I wouldn't think so it would probably just be in another hangar on another airfield

A bunch of blokes gathering in a disused aircraft hangar and laying out a track around the tarmac added to the appeal of the show.

I just hope they don't get too "spit and polish" on us. I like the ad-hoc feel.

This is the essence of being British; you make do with what you've got and make it up as you go along.
In the Second World War, the Germans had rockets - we had some paraffin and a big ball of string.

:)

scenarios - you pick! :lol:

a) Clarkson has a LOT of leverage with the strong success of TG - maybe he just wants to get as much money as possible before retiring... after all he is done only Top Gear (like Patrick MacNee has been only Steed in the Avengers). Consider the stupid money paid to Jonathan Ross...

b) the BBC wants to close TG for good, JC tries to provoke a reaction in the media to secure a new series of TG in spite of the opposition

c) Clarkson has had enough of the same routine. Wants something different... a new challenge... or just write on magazines and enjoy the family. A DVD here and there just to keep a nice stream of cash (fair enough :D ). You cannot reach 50 and shout "poweeeerrrrr"

d) the green ecomentalists have brainwashed JC this time! our hero is going to campaign for Green Peace

e) JC wants to quit at the top while he still can

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll get some decent answers on the TOTP special.