Has Honda dropped the ball?

Koenig

Just read the latest EVO today at Chapters and they had a comparo of the new Civic TR with all the closest competitors (GTI, Megane, etc.). In the end, the Civic only got 3.5 stars while the GTI and the Megane got 5. They especially like the Megane.

Anyone else really worried about this like I am? I mean, the Civic TR was probably the most hyped hot hatch, but now it doesn't seem like it's going to deliver the goods.....

well, the topgear site nominated as the best hot hatch of them all following by the GTI. It deserves that additional 1,5 stars for the looks

Honda's type-r cars have usually ofered a great driving expereince but been absolutely horrid to live with, suspension that feels like it's made out of solid steel...

That is just one opinion about the car. For every one bad review there will probably be one good one.

I certainly would not say Honda has "dropped the ball" - they have fostered a cult-like following; something only domestic brands have managed with any success in the US. Their bread and butter is still production of solid, reliable, practical cars.

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in Sweden there are 2 versions.. One hardcore and one softer....

Just read the latest EVO today at Chapters and they had a comparo of the new Civic TR with all the closest competitors (GTI, Megane, etc.). In the end, the Civic only got 3.5 stars while the GTI and the Megane got 5. They especially like the Megane.

Anyone else really worried about this like I am? I mean, the Civic TR was probably the most hyped hot hatch, but now it doesn't seem like it's going to deliver the goods.....

Hate to say this, but that's not the latest issue over here :p

On a more on-topic note, yes, I think they're off the ball a bit. I don't doubt the Civic Type-R is good fun, but [as is the trend these days] the new Civic is heavier, larger and suffers a bit more compared to the old one.

What really strikes me is from EVO issue 100, where they had the 'ten best cars ever as voted by the readers' - and there were two Hondas. The Integra Type-R [which was declared 'best front-wheel drive car ever' a few issues back], and the NSX-R. They bemoaned the lack of 'special-feeling' Hondas about at the moment, as the company tries to turn itself more and more 'green'.

As for their review of the Civic Type-R? Sure, dfferent magazines have different opinions. But EVO is the magazine I trust most regarding car reviews, and if they think the Golf GTI and Megane Renaultsport R26 Team F1 are better, I don't doubt it. Remember the Megane is the latest in a fairly long line of sporting Meganes which have all improved on each other, whilst this is the first Type-R of this shape Civic, and there's a rumoured Type-RR to come.

I would probably buy the Megane. I'm amazed at how brilliant that car is, dispite it's age.

im no honda fanboy, infact i rather dislike civics, but i will admit that honda actually does have more charm then most similar companies are willing to offer, the Fit/Jazz is a great little car, the Accord is comfortable without being boring or vulgar (the engine isn't bad either), the current S2000 (atleast 05+) is probably my favorite 30k sportscar, yes ive driven it as well, and the rest of the lineup is rather interesting as well, atleast compared to the huge blandness that alot of companies seem to offer

as for the new civic (north american) i think its neat, but i would agree id rather have a GTi, the Civic is still a bit plastic compared to the GTi, and no more interesting, where the Civic looks completely as though it was designed by a retarded teenager (assissted by a good engineer) the GTi seems as though it was created by somebody who loved driving as well as understood the word gemutlich, its just a smarter package through and through

Last edited:
yeah, but when the veedub's oil pump goes or a cylinder goes out.

and the civic's...well...you know...

dosent.

then what

Power! Honda Civic! Yeah! Actually I don't like it. A Civic pass me by once and the driver is total wanker with his huge exhaust, Vroom! So from that on, i hate Civic, but I like the Megane. I think Renault make great cars. I also do prefer to trust Evo.