Top Gear of the Pops

This was rubbish. Might be because I am not british so I don't even get the whole Top of The Pops thing anyway.

The last song was funny to watch in the sense that Hammond is a very good bass player, May is very handy with the keyboadas, Justin Hawkins is one of the best new rock singers in the world and Jeremy has no sense of rhytmn at all. And I do mean none. It was especially difficult to watch since I'm a drummer myself. The whole band consisting of somewhat (very) talented musicians and then along comes Jeremy :mrgreen: .

Hammond was clearly enjoying the thing and it was easy to see from his eyes that once the cameras were turned off I bet he took the mickey out of Clarkson, big time.

Other than that, I didn't find the show that funny.

^I was pretty impressed with Clarkson. I wouldn't be able to play it like he did.. =) How can you miss a beat that badly? :D

Yeah, it was disappointing if you were hoping it would tide you over till the next series of Top Gear... sigh... though - the news was pretty funny.

Bring on the next series.....

*ashwalk goes and jumps in his time machine and goes forward in time*

You're forgetting, it was a special for Britain, as a fill in whilst the main comic relief went for the news. Of course it wont appeal to everyone.

Wait for the summer special. I reckon it's gonna be the bits they didnt use in S9

So what? You saying because they aren't British they can't comment on it? Are you also saying that British people are more likely to enjoy it?

No, Im saying that it was made for a British Charity day, so it wouldnt appeal to everyone.

You're free to comment on it.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.

No, Im saying that it was made for a British Charity day, so it wouldnt appeal to everyone.

You're free to comment on it.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.

All I said was that it wasn't enough to tide me over... it was enjoyable enough, but if you look at, for example, the Little Britain comic relief special (from a year or two ago) it seemed like they were able to keep more of the tone of their own show whilst incorporating the Comic Relief strictures...

Also, Top Gear is funny even without them trying (too hard)... the caravan special, anyone? The Toyboata going upside down? There was more comedy to be had in leaving the boys be, methinks... and it would have had the added bonus of being an extra half hour of Top Gear for this year. Even if it was just Richard eating cardboard, Jeremy ragging on Americans and May making cock jokes.

...but that's just my 2c.

Last edited:
All I said was that it wasn't enough to tide me over... it was enjoyable enough, but if you look at, for example, the Little Britain comic relief special (from a year or two ago) it seemed like they were able to keep more of the tone of their own show whilst incorporating the Comic Relief strictures...

Also, Top Gear is funny even without them trying (too hard)... the caravan special, anyone? The Toyboata going upside down? There was more comedy to be had in leaving the boys be, methinks... and it would have had the added bonus of being an extra half hour of Top Gear for this year. Even if it was just Richard eating cardboard, Jeremy ragging on Americans and May making cock jokes.

...but that's just my 2c.

It was never meant to be Top Gear anyway.
The point of the show was to incorporate 2 of the BBC's biggest shows. Top Gear and Top Of The Pops (deceased), hence Top Gear Of The Pops. It was never designed to have anything to do with cars, it was just a fill in of the main program as a "comic relief" during the news.

So what? You saying because they aren't British they can't comment on it? Are you also saying that British people are more likely to enjoy it?

of course British people are more likely to enjoy it...

People might just be confused, cause they thought it was a Top Gear Special, but it wasn't. It was more a Top of the Pops Special. And from that point of view it was great! I like sarcasm me. I even dare say that if "normal" TOTP had been like that, it would have not been axed.

I thought is was a big pair of big girl's pants. It wasn't particularly funny; all the music was a total anathema to me and I don't ever want to see McFly again. Maybe if they had driven that 24 tonne tractor Richard had over them, then it would have been funny. Travis are just dull; what kind of person buys a Travis CD? A suicidal insomniac deaf one? Or just a tw*t?

Please don't lower yourselves to the Comic Relief level again. You're much better than that.

I thought is was a big pair of big girl's pants. It wasn't particularly funny; all the music was a total anathema to me and I don't ever want to see McFly again. Maybe if they had driven that 24 tonne tractor Richard had over them, then it would have been funny. Travis are just dull; what kind of person buys a Travis CD? A suicidal insomniac deaf one? Or just a tw*t?

Please don't lower yourselves to the Comic Relief level again. You're much better than that.

You know, it IS possible to say *YOU* don't like the band without labelling anyone who likes Travis as "A suicidal insomniac deaf one? Or just a tw*t?"

That was really f'n offensive.

People could say the same about those of us who watch Top Gear. SO how's about next time, you stick to not liking it without bitchslapping entire groups of people because you don't happen to like a band, mmmmkay?:rolleyes:

And yes, Top Gear, never lower yourselves to the level of helping a charity and good cause. How dare you!?!!?

You know, it IS possible to say *YOU* don't like the band without labelling anyone who likes Travis as "A suicidal insomniac deaf one? Or just a tw*t?"

That was really f'n offensive.

People could say the same about those of us who watch Top Gear. SO how's about next time, you stick to not liking it without bitchslapping entire groups of people because you don't happen to like a band, mmmmkay?:rolleyes:

And yes, Top Gear, never lower yourselves to the level of helping a charity and good cause. How dare you!?!!?

It is also possible not to be a sanctimonious politically correct tosser. No, really, it is. (Incidentally, the irony is, you sound just like the type of person who whinges about every little thing that is said on Top Gear).

You're such a delicate soul aren't you? Bless.

Whilst I agree with you over McFly, I happen to like Travis. And buy their CDs. And I'm neither suicidal, insomniac, deaf, nor a twat [I hope].

However, as I said earlier in this thread, that was not one of Travis's better songs. Actually, it's one of their worst, by the sounds of it. Whilst your own impressions of Travis may be formed just by this and the inevitable "Why Does It Always Rain On Me", and you're allowed your own opinion, don't assume all Travis is pap because of one song.

Just because Pearl Harbour was crap doesn't mean every Hollywood blockbuster is.

Wait for the summer special. I reckon it's gonna be the bits they didnt use in S9

Sorry, going completely off-topic here, but does anyone else think the Summer Special might be a goodbye to Dunsfold? Just a thought I had earlier.

Back on topic, I thought it was really good fun. Good way to spend half an hour.

It is also possible not to be a sanctimonious politically correct tosser. No, really, it is. (Incidentally, the irony is, you sound just like the type of person who whinges about every little thing that is said on Top Gear).

You're such a delicate soul aren't you? Bless.

Which is as far from the truth as possible. I just REALLY hate sweeping generalizations with no merit.

:rolleyes:

good day...
I didnt read alot of this thread, so forgive me if anyone asked already.

does anyone know the name of the song by Mr "Jizzy Tissue" :lol:

checked a few of his tracks online, cant seem to find that one tho

Chalk up another reason why I hate most modern mainstream music. Yes, I'm a bitter old geezer who listens to some weird old geezers called The Doors. On repeat.

McFly effin' sucked. They looked like a bunch of sniveling wimpy douchebags straight out of the Disney Channel, looking like a perfectly manufactured rejected boy band that MTV execs think will appeal to EVERYBODY under 30. That one guy in the hoodie had such an irritating laugh that if I was there I most likely would have jammed an industrial-sized auger into his eyelids. 10-15 behind bars would have been worth it.

Ok, I guess I give them some credit for writing a song on the spot. But then again, it's the typical whiney pop-punk nu-age emocore crap that pollutes modern rock charts anyway. I was actually hoping they would have used the three words (good call James May as well!) creatively, instead of shouting "SOFA! ADMINISTRATION! HAI-UN-DIE!" like a bunch of lameos at a sporting event. I bet all their songs sound like this, but that would mean I would have to listen to them. And if that was the case the aforementioned auger would be through my skull instead of through Douchey McDoucheDouche there.

Are they big in Europe, by the way? Are they constant fixtures on British Teen People? If that's the case, then that'd be depressing. And I happen to like the Arctic Monkeys...even if they are apparently bigger than the Beatles who were bigger than Jesus.

Boy, I hope I piss off some McFly fans here! All 3 of them, they might fling their nail polish at me. But it is pretty late, they've all been tucked into bed by now by their grandparents...

As for Travis, err...my friend's name is Travis. What a strange and dull name for a band.