(US) Police Car Comparison - Crown Victoria, Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Charger

Now is the 4.6L in the Crown Vic the same one that's used in the Mustang?

jetsetter said:

Really, it's the same. It's just a Ford modular engine, the same motor with different displacements has been used in everything from the F-150 to the GT. There is even a V-10 version (I've seen one in a Grand Marquis run in the 12s).

The latest version in the Crown Vic is more powerful then the first 4.6 in the Mustang (250 vs. 215).

Edit: Here is a picture of one of the local Sheriff department's Chargers.

cop_charger.jpg

Sorry for the quality, I took the photo with my cell phone. My wife works at a company that outfits police and fire departments with radios, lights and sirens. She says the officers prefer the Charger over the Crown Vic, mainly because it's faster.

Last edited:
Really, it's the same. It's just a Ford modular engine, the same motor with different displacements has been used in everything from the F-150 to the GT. There is even a V-10 version (I've seen one in a Grand Marquis run in the 12s).

The latest version in the Crown Vic is more powerful then the first 4.6 in the Mustang (250 vs. 215).

The Mustang's heads are quite different, 3-valve compared to the Crown Vic's 2-valve.

The Mustang's heads are quite different, 3-valve compared to the Crown Vic's 2-valve.

Yes, the '05+ Mustang engine has the 3 valve heads. The '96 to '04 GT Mustangs had 2 valve heads. At some point (I believe '99) they came out with PI heads in the Mustang, which where still 2 valve, but flowed much better. The Cobra versions of the Mustang used 4-valve heads.

Yes, the '05+ Mustang engine has the 3 valve heads. The '96 to '04 GT Mustangs had 2 valve heads. At some point (I believe '99) they came out with PI heads in the Mustang, which where still 2 valve, but flowed much better. The Cobra versions of the Mustang used 4-valve heads.

Yep that was Mustang only. Ford basically makes a profit with the CV every time they sell it, so the less money they have to dump into it, the bigger the profit for them (which ford really needs now).

Plus, the 2v has been proven for reliability purposes, and can go as high as 500,000miles without anything more than basic care (oil changes and such). Sure it's not as fast as the Charger, but the Charger isn't proven, the Ford is.