Cheap Automobiles to Buy

Cheap Automobiles to Buy

• Total voters

RUU-CHAMA

Car(s)
Mazda6
I was looking for a cheap car to buy for a family member and I have narowed it down to these choices, which would you choose:

This
1628294768.216299441.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x377.jpg

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

Or This
1725038402.218073807.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

1995 Chevrolet Camaro

Or is this more appropriate
1768857167.219064930.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

1997 Geo Metro

I trust you guys judgement and will go with whatever the general consensus is. If you have another nominee in the 3000-4000 range I would love to hear it.

Poll added.

And anything but the Geo.

Probably Camaro, not THAT Camaro though.

depends on the type of driver, just a town run about get the pontiac if you want to drive get the camaro, I'm sure that geo is much cheaper and if he/she knows nothing about cars go for that one it will be reliable and cheap to gas up and repair.

I'd say the Camaro. Simply because the other cars are butt ugly.

We should know more about your family member, and what that person will use the car for. For example, I would recommend the Pontiac, unless I knew that the person was a teenager- then nothing but a Geo would do. =)

Go for the Grand Prix. They are inexpensive to maintain, plus it is useful unlike the Camaro. If it is the 3.4 liter, LIM gaskets may be a problem, but probably fixed already. If it is the 3800, it will happily go to 250,000 miles. Actually, both engines are fine. Plus it is front wheel drive, so no matter the person, it can be controlled.

The Geo? Skip it. Geo's of that vintage are very reliable and cheap to maintain, but were built to go 100k miles and nothing more. Avoid.

Yeah, the Pontiac is the 3.4 liter version. The car will be mostly freeway driving, and it is going to be my sisters first car. After considering her Christmas present I am seriously leaning towards the metro. I remember when I rented one, it reeked of Marijuana, when I put the gas pedal to the floor it did nothing, the engine did not even increase in noise and the power steering did not work on slow corners. But I (a fat American) fit in it comfortably.

As much as I love Camaros, I'd have to side with the Grand Prix on this one. From what I can tell Camaros can be kinda iffy on reliability. I've never heard any bad things about the Grand Prix. It's probably the most useful of the 3 as well.

Besides...IMO, a V6 Camaro isn't a Camaro.

Grand Prix. Far more usable car. $3000-4000 is way to much for a geo metro. $50 sounds like a good price on a geo.

Thank you I have decided on the grand prix because it seems to be in better condition and my sister likes it. Thank you, now all I have to decide on now is if this:

4397_9080531612.jpg

The 345 horsepower, 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine powered Barbeque

Is worth a look.
Good night everyone.

Though I really really dislike Pontiacs, I would say the Grand Prix. It's the most practical and makes the most sense out of those.

If it is for your sister then get the Pontiac. They're cheap to keep on the road and it will probably run forever anyway. I had a '94 Buick with the 3.4L that had over 170k miles on it when I sold it and it ran great.

Though I really really dislike Pontiacs, I would say the Grand Prix. It's the most practical and makes the most sense out of those.

Have to agree. I dislike pontiacs because we have 2 of them (one is currently parked in the garage with a window stuck down) and they have just really irratating problems. But of the 3, I'd go with the Grand Prix because it seems most practical.

I voted geo because I felt sorry for it.... but go for the Camaro, BUT TAKE THAT BRAW OFF IT GAWL DARN!!

I would take my money and buy something better than any of them. How much do you have to spend?

EDIT: With $3-4K to spend I would rather get a 20 year old Mercedes Diesel than buy any of these.

a '95 camaro??? that's such an odd year when considering 4th generation camaros. you could get a '96 ss for a couple of hundred dollars more. or get a '97 with the lt4 engine. better yet, get a '98 with the ls1 engine.

you're talking about a $500-$1000 difference between a shitty '95 lt1 and a venerable '98 ls1. if you have the money, you can get a '01 z28 or ss that has an ls1 with a ls6 manifold, new cam, and no egr system for $12,000.