2007 Formula 1 Season

Webber to test night circuit

March 30, 2007

FORMULA One driver Mark Webber, fresh from a high-speed test on Malaysia's Sepang Circuit, is to make a leisurely drive around a proposed night circuit in Singapore on Saturday.

The planned drive comes after the Singapore government said negotiations were under way to host a Formula One event in the city-state, and it was prepared to offer support.

"Mark Webber will be taking a leisurely drive around the proposed street circuit," a statement from the Australian's Red Bull Racing said.

Monaco hosts the circuit's only other street race, and there is no night race on the calendar, Red Bull said.

"It's great to hear that Singapore may be included in the global F1 calendar with what might be the first night race. It will be fantastic for the city and perfect for the drivers, given the heat in southeast Asia.

"However, safety is a priority so it is important that the right amount of lighting and testing is done," said Webber, director of the Grand Prix Drivers Association, in the statement.

The 4.8km track proposed by designer Hermann Tilke takes in Singapore landmarks including the British colonial-era Raffles Hotel.

Source

It'll be interesting to see what he thinks of the track and what it's like at night.

F1-live.com

More work needed on Singapore night race

31/03/07

Mark Webber praised a proposed Singapore street circuit after driving it on Saturday but said more research was needed into a plan to race here at night.

The Red Bull driver said organisers would have to look into lighting and the effect of rain, which could create glare in dark conditions.

"They are talking about the night concept which again is very, very new and pioneering and something which has not been done before in Formula One," said Webber who is also director of the Grand Prix Drivers Association.

"The question of whether it rains has been mentioned," he added. "It requires a lot of research and development into actually understanding how that could take place in terms of the amount of lighting required to make the event safe for the drivers, for marshals and (other) people taking part."

"There's a few unanswered questions which need a bit more research, but that happens when you have something very exciting and something very new which is what we have here."

Webber took a morning drive in a non-race car around the 4.8 kilometre route proposed by designer Hermann Tilke.

Despite the potential risks, Webber said "all the drivers are very, very keen to race on a new street circuit, which is definitely going to be the case here in Singapore."

"It's a very clean and beautiful city and I think it's a real signature event if you can have a Formula One Grand Prix here," he added. "I can see the enthusiasm and the excitement to have an international sporting event such as the world Formula One championships here and it's something which looks exciting, no questions about it."

Oh wow, a lot of this F1 rumours turns out to be true. :lol:

Anyone else noticed that the German GP has lost it's German title. Its now the European Grand Prix.

http://img120.imageshack.**/img120/5641/singaporetrackmq2.gif

Thats the planned Singapore track that Webber drove. Whats everyone think?? The Carasel looks good up the top there aswell as 2 bridges :)

Really? It made sense when there were two races in Germany, but not any more.

F1Racing still list it as the Grand Prix of Germany

Go to formula1.com, the official site of F1, and it's listed as European. Unless it's only when Nurburgring is hosting it??

I've just had an idea. Let Nurburgring have the German GP each year and rotate France and Hockenheim each year instead. Solves the problem of finding a race to alternate with France and also gives us the Nurburgring each year.

no it's the german grand prix at the nurburgring, next year it will the grosser preis von deutschland at hockenheim - hockenheim has the rights to the name, they've agreed to share the race between the circuits, and the title will always be the german grand prix..

I think that makes sense.

no it's the german grand prix at the nurburgring, next year it will the grosser preis von deutschland at hockenheim - hockenheim has the rights to the name, they've agreed to share the race between the circuits, and the title will always be the german grand prix..

I think that makes sense.

Go to formula1.com, it's clearly listed as European GP. But if Hockenheim has the rights to Grosser Preis Von Deutschland, and it's translations presumably, then it makes sense Nurburgring being called European GP. I'd like it to be called Grosser Preis Von Nurburgring, sounds much cooler :D

Thought i'd bump this up for the 4 week break.
Ferrari and Mclaren are both claiming to have major improvements for the next round. Hopefully these improvements cancel each other out and keep the championship competitive. BMW have to keep developing and not rest on their laurels, one step back and they'll be left playing in midfield. RBR are looking better, now to just give Webber a reliable car.
Im also hoping Kimi has more time to work on his qualifying pace, fixing that would put him back in front (bit of an obvious statement:lol: )

Thought i'd bump this up for the 4 week break.
Ferrari and Mclaren are both claiming to have major improvements for the next round. Hopefully these improvements cancel each other out and keep the championship competitive. BMW have to keep developing and not rest on their laurels, one step back and they'll be left playing in midfield. RBR are looking better, now to just give Webber a reliable car.
Im also hoping Kimi has more time to work on his qualifying pace, fixing that would put him back in front (bit of an obvious statement:lol: )

Well I hope the Ferraris can improve their overtaking ability so that I can stop yelling at the TV at 4-6am. Despite all the jokes I've made I also hope Honda catches a break since they have extended time off. It's pretty sad to see a factory team getting beat by their customer car.

I don't get it, if Ferrari are having trouble following another car, then why don't they just put two cars in the windtunnel and solve the problem?

Discussion of F1 between Bahrain and Spain can be made here. Spain GP thread will be created closer to the event to avoid there being 20-30 pages of nonsense. Thanks!!

Do you lot agree that if one is made before the beginning of May, then we shall ask for it to be closed and start a new one at a better date?? I only say this because this is one of the most active sub-forums on here and we need to start getting a little bit more organised with race thread starters.

Last edited:
Do you lot agree that if one is made before the beginning of May, then we shall ask for it to be closed and start a new one at a better date?? I only say this because this is one of the most active sub-forums on here and we need to start getting a little bit more organised with race thread starters.

Agreed.

Maybe we should have a predetermined time for starting race threads, like the start of the week or the week before Friday practice.

EDIT: I see HondaF1 already made a similar suggestion in the Bahrain thread.

Last edited:
Start race thread 10 days before a Grand Prix, unless it's back to back races where we will start it on the Monday.

So for normal 2 weeks gaps, we will have 4 days after the event of being able to discuss the previous race, then get the next one going 10 days before hand so that the previous race thread can slow down and move on to the next one. Any longer gaps, we can use this for discussion as was planned originally.

I don't get it, if Ferrari are having trouble following another car, then why don't they just put two cars in the windtunnel and solve the problem?

this is what i've always thought

they complain that they cant follow another car, particularly in corners.

why not just make a car that can? you'd be top of the field.

what im guessing is, by doing that, you'd make the car rather slow when its just driving on its own in clear air which would bum you for qualifying and race leading. they have to either work out a balance....or the fia have to make some new regs

I think ferrari have a cooling issue which makes it hard for them to follow in a hot air of another car.

Or they have gone aggresive with the wing design and behind another car it is unstable. They are fastest in a straight line remember.