IRC channel must move, but where to? Suggest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Paris = Chris, the owner of the small little IRC network we're currently on.

Code:
[Thu 18:48:11] <~Paris> im shutting down p44
[Thu 18:48:14] <~Paris> just an fyi
[Thu 18:52:18] <@BigJ> orly?
[Thu 18:52:19] <@BigJ> when
[Thu 18:53:45] <~Paris> sometime in may
[Thu 18:54:05] <@BigJ> for good?
[Thu 18:54:09] <~Paris> yep
[Thu 18:54:13] <@BigJ> how come
[Thu 18:54:41] <~Paris> whiners, and the fact that im prolly jobless soon

So, where shall we move to? I'm thinking P2P-NET where many popular torrent sites are located. Then again, I am trying to move us more towards a fan site than just a downloads site.

And a few networks that are out of the question before anyone suggests them:

• Freenode -- it's for software projects and what not, not generic websites
  • EFNET -- piece of shit network with short nicks and no real services to speak of
  • Some other tiny network with like 20 people on it

Our own IRC network with just basically our channel only is not out of the question, but I more prefer to just move to a well established network so that people don't have to connect to a network just for one channel hopefully. A large network also ensures we don't have to deal with anything and we know it'll always be up with someone looking after it at all times.

What about Quakenet?

What about Quakenet?
Been years since I've been on there, but don't they have rather lacking network services? Like no NickServ and such IIRC.

Ideally I'd like to switch to another UnrealIRC powered network.

Last edited:
Whatever you decide, DON'T move to quakenet.

No Nickserv == teh suck.

Can we not help Chris out somehow to keep him up and running, if he's going to be looking for a new job soon may be it'd be possible to sub him until he gets back on his feet? Promise to do something about the whingers too perhaps? Might help him and us?

irc.chatsociety.net, nice, stable, has services, i know the admins, it's all good. :)

Quakenet has network services ( and L bots) but no nick name protection ( other then for network opers) but #gear is not available there.

My suggestion would be access-irc network (http://www.accessirc.net/ unreal3.2.5), since uknova houses there. which is an other torrent site specialized in uk TV torrents.

#gear is not available there.

I want to move to #finalgear. The channel was created before the "FinalGear" name and back when I was hosting the site at http://gear.viper007bond.com/. Might as well make this an opportunity to change the channel name to match the site name. ;)

And P2P-NET hosts channels for uTorrent, SceneTorrents.org, HDBits.org, and many others.

P2P-NET sounds good...I don't wanna leave P44 :(

irchighway!

coz im already on it, but yeah it has all the nickserv features, and stuff like that. Plus lots of other places, is stable i only get drop outs once every few months. and its probably more my internet connection than the network. I just checked and no one is using #finalgear

What other things are we you looking for in a network?

I'm for our own network. Chances are that most nicks people use on the forums are already taken on large networks with nickserv, which means that people will need to choose another nick for IRC than on the forums. Furthermore i think that hosting your own server gives you more freedom in how the network is ran. I can understand why you don't want people connecting just for 1 channel to some network, but to my knowledge that has also been mostly the case with p44 for most people. There will always be people that keep whining "why can't you host it on network X, because i already connect to there?"
I'm sure there are enough members over here that have colocated servers that are willing to share some of that bandwidth to host our own network. I am one of them. I have a server colocated in Rotterdam in the Netherlands, in a datacenter directly connected to the AMS-IX.

EDIT: Not to mention that your own irc network (irc.finalgear.com) just looks a lot 13373r :p

irc.finalgear.com already works. ^_^

Yeah, 'cause irc.finalgear.com is currently aliased to irc.p44.org. The front page and Java chat use irc.finalgear.com though. Had it that way for a while incase we ever had to move (I can just update the DNS).

Sidenote; Hosting irc servers with sitelutions DNS will end with your domain suspended.

Yeah, I have some servers that can run some IRC servers. UnrealIRCD+Anope?

i like the irchighway idea, i'm already on it, it's already got services, and it's small enough that we won't be in teh suck like efnet or rizon

Status
Not open for further replies.