Every boy grows up wanting to be one of the blokes from Top Gear

TurnerGTX

Once, little boys dreamed of growing up to become firefighters or pilots or guitarists or - if their parents had anything to do with it - fund managers and entrepreneurial plumbers.

Nowadays, every boy grows up wanting to be one of the blokes from Top Gear. Forgive me if I'm projecting a little here; it's my way of saying that - dammit - I want to be a bloke from Top Gear. And I don't really care which one: blustery Clarkson; witty Hammond or scruffy, man-in-the-middle May.

Australia - car buffs and the uninterested alike - has gone collectively nuts for Top Gear and I've gone nuts with it. I don't know many men who don't watch the show and ask: do they really get paid to make television that is so much fun? I don't know many women who, once dragged kicking and screaming to the media centre (nee the television room), don't mutter something to the effect "that was rather fun . . . for a car show".

http://www.theage.com.au/news/epicure/wine-show-odd-couple/2007/04/19/1176697004700.html

Can you stop posting pointless things please, all you seem to be doing is posting articles.

:lock: Mods

Last edited:
I can't see a reason to lock this thread HondaF1. I think you gotta ease off being "the lurking locker" for a bit or at least use the Report Post button for threads you think should be locked, like I advised before.

Hammond as witty? Uh...no, that would be May. Hammond is Clarkson's lapdog more than he is witty. Still, good to see the TG guys get more exposure. My friends are already wondering when the Oz 'n James tour to California gets broadcast.

I can't see a reason to lock this thread HondaF1. I think you gotta ease off being "the lurking locker" for a bit or at least use the Report Post button for threads you think should be locked, like I advised before.

Point taken. Forgot about the report button. Signature changed. I'll spend more time trying to get my F1 team up the grid instead!! :D

Can you stop posting pointless things please, all you seem to be doing is posting articles.

:lock: Mods

Ah. The forum bully. There is always one on every messageboard.

Whilst your pathetic negative ramblings will have no effect on me it will put off others who have been lurking and are considering signing up and posting.

As for posting 'pointless' things - if it actually is 'pointless' it will be ignored and quickly fall off the page. If it's inappropriate then the mods will lock it.

Hammond has his moments - usually in the vicinity of The Cool Wall. Sure, he and Clarkson agree on most things, but not all; he's far from being a "lapdog." If I had to describe Hammond he's Clarkson's antithesis - he's short where Clarkson is tall and charming where Clarkson is cantankerous. They may agree on some of the cars, but personality-wise they could not be more different.

May is the one with whom I most identify. Sure he has his quirks that get mocked, but of the three he's the one I would most like to share a beer with down at the pub.

Ah. The forum bully. There is always one on every messageboard.

Whilst your pathetic negative ramblings will have no effect on me it will put off others who have been lurking and are considering signing up and posting.

As for posting 'pointless' things - if it actually is 'pointless' it will be ignored and quickly fall off the page. If it's inappropriate then the mods will lock it.

Thats a bit harsh...

Thats a bit harsh...

I think this is an excellent post. I wish I had some way of being a car reviewer, it has always been my dream job and these guys redefine car testing with every show.

Ok, I've re-read it, and I was a bit tough here. I was just getting annoyed that there have been lots of really annoying posts lately and I thought this would be another one.

I didnt read the story properly and I admit I was wrong.

It was my dream as a little girl to become a TG presenter (yep, back in the bad old days of Goffey!) Sadley, my Father didn't deem it a 'sensible' job, and I was made study cookery & computers instead.
Bet he wishes he hadn't shot my ambition down in flames though. Think of all the perks VBHs family might get...!!