Teen to graduate college after 1 year

bartboy9891

I'm not Moe
Quick study! Teen to graduate college after year
Now plucky Michigan 19-year-old is heading to law school
1:03 p.m. ET April 25, 2007
BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. ? A 19-year-old suburban-Detroit resident is on track to graduate from The University of Michigan after just a year of study.
Nicole Matisse, of Bloomfield Hills, is to officially graduate in the summer with a bachelor's degree in psychology.
As a student at Lahser High School, Matisse had exhausted the curriculum by her junior year. Between the exams she passed on eight advanced placement courses and the eight classes she took at Oakland Community College, she had amassed enough credits to enter the university last fall as a junior.

"When I got to U-M, I only took 19 credits, and I was bored and craved more credits," she told The Detroit News for a Wednesday story. "So even when I took 27 credits this semester, I felt I could have added even more."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18310636/?GT1=9246

She went to the same school I go to now. Going to Law School at 19, that's insane!

Yeah...somebody came to my mother's office yesterday looking for an RA job. The kid's a molecular biology major with a good GPA, he's a senior at UC Davis. My mom asked him about his high school and he said, "I didn't go." Apparently, he stopped going to high school at age 14 and just enrolled at Davis (really weird considering the tough admissions process there) and he's set to graduate at 17.

I'm sorry but I don't think that it's appropriate in the slightest, how much of the stuff will she be able to remember 2 years down the track?

Also bartboy9891, that's more of a US thing starting law that late. My brother started his law/aerospace engineering degree when he was 18

Genius kids ... they study hard, live with their heads in books, graduate early, miss out on life and die young.
It's true and really sad.

I'm sorry but I don't think that it's appropriate in the slightest, how much of the stuff will she be able to remember 2 years down the track?

Also bartboy9891, that's more of a US thing starting law that late. My brother started his law/aerospace engineering degree when he was 18
Yea in other countries, such as India, you are able to go right into med school without the 4 years to get a bachelor's degree. I would like to take some classes other than the necessary ones, even if it's just for fun.
Many people say that she is just wasting her time and all. The way I see it, she'll be out of school way before others, she'll have a career by her mid 20's and she'll be able to retire earlier.:wheelchair:

Genius kids ... they study hard, live with their heads in books, graduate early, miss out on life and die young.

Exactly. You see a couple of them around here, 15/16 year old kids at uni. They seem really awkward and out of place. No matter how smart I was, I wouldn't want to do that...

Must of been this guy's sister:

http://img388.imageshack.**/img388/212/doogiehowsershowcardvu0.jpg

So true. I've heard that they wind up with huge amounts of self-imposed stress and kill themselves on a fairly regular basis. That, or they turn into hermits and spend teh rest of their lives as eccentrics. You wonder why you never hear about adult genuises other than Stephen Hawkings?

I knew a guy who had the same sort of thing, he had an incredible memory, he could remember the score of every single major league baseball game ever played, who played, and other random stuff like that, but he couldn't carry on a conversation or operate a microwave. He mumbled to himself a lot and never really got anywhere in life.

I think its the same in most parts of Asia... I started my degree at 17, but tbh... it doesn't make much diff how old you are once you get into uni, I don't think it has ever mattered to me that all my friends from uni are 1 year older than me

So true. I've heard that they wind up with huge amounts of self-imposed stress and kill themselves on a fairly regular basis. That, or they turn into hermits and spend teh rest of their lives as eccentrics. You wonder why you never hear about adult genuises other than Stephen Hawkings?

I knew a guy who had the same sort of thing, he had an incredible memory, he could remember the score of every single major league baseball game ever played, who played, and other random stuff like that, but he couldn't carry on a conversation or operate a microwave. He mumbled to himself a lot and never really got anywhere in life.

Well that's a bit different from simply studying harder than most people (which is what i assume this girl did). There are those kids that push themselves to ridiculous lengths just to achieve their outlandish goals, and there are those who work better than others. This girl sounds like a fanatic version of the latter. Often it's the parents that push kids to over-achieve.

The guy you knew sounds like a savant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_savant

Kim Peek is a fairly famous autistic savant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Peek

He has read over 10,000 books and can remember lines and pages of each of those books, but cannot walk properly or tie his shoes by himself.

I think there is more to high school and university than academics. I don't know what the future holds for her, but if it's just a regular career...what's the rush?

indeed... there is much more to be learned in college than whats in your classes.

Exactly. You see a couple of them around here, 15/16 year old kids at uni. They seem really awkward and out of place. No matter how smart I was, I wouldn't want to do that...

I know what you mean they wouldn't be able to fit in with the social scene at uni, which personally I think making connections with people is just as important.

Graduating in a year? Wow! I could never have done that at Ohio State. I had enough trouble just filling up my schedule, let alone getting the classes I needed/wanted. Most people take 5 or more years to graduate simply because they can't get the classes they need until their 3rd or 4th year. Finishing in a year might be somewhat possible at my new school however.

The way I see it you're going to be working your whole life. What's the rush to get started?

http://img131.imageshack.**/img131/6519/71914212pp8.jpg

http://img131.imageshack.**/img131/2298/dumbdumberps4.gif
"Look at the funbags on that hose hound..."

You show me a kid graduating from college in a year at 19 and I'll show you someone who won't get laid until he's 30.