Most used passwords in the world

I usually use ~8 digit passwords with numbers and capital letters.
Also I do write them down. I heard it's actually recommended, because that way if you forget you password you don't have to bother the helpdesk about it. Just remember to keep the notepaper in a safe place where others can't see :p

None of those are my password, since my password is --

Hey wait a second --

Heh heh, nice try!

I've used the same password since 1998. Awesome.

over 20 random letters and numbers (you dont get the exact number) randomly obtained by banging on my keyboard for a few seconds in notepad, and memorizing the results. Beat that.

Great Fry reference... I love that episode. The best is when the bank teller blows the dust off the old style PIN number machine. :lol:

Its the price of a cheese pizza and a large soda, ten seventy seven.

Last edited:
OK one system I am on requires 14 characters at least, one special character at least, one Capital character at least, and one number at least. There should be no English words in it either. Doing one of those is surprisingly quite difficult. It forces a change every 30 days too.

Yeah, I know how that is. I have 7 different systems at work that all require unique passwords with the requirements above. And they only last 30-60 days.

over 20 random letters and numbers (you dont get the exact number) randomly obtained by banging on my keyboard for a few seconds in notepad, and memorizing the results. Beat that.

t.)V^~]0Di*M&/~CTq&6]Ld8iWsTR?!pjy\,.6h),)#5KN.2<)8xUur/!w'Vz6r

^63 printable ASCII characters, obtained from a real random password generator.

OK one system I am on requires 14 characters at least, one special character at least, one Capital character at least, and one number at least. There should be no English words in it either. Doing one of those is surprisingly quite difficult. It forces a change every 30 days too.

One of my textbooks talked about how those kind of super impossible to guess passwords are the worst kind. You know why? Because people often write them down and leave them inside their desk on a scrap piece of paper.

So if this is a work password and you want to do some cold-hacking, why not rummage around peoples desks looking for a string of 14 characters.

Many passes, different rates of change => no choice but to keep a log (on a remote secured server of wich I do know the password :p )

Something else:
The first thing I learned during the CISCO CCNA course was the so-called "password recovery", ... weird ... hacking CISCO routers, taught by CISCO ... really weird :?

If you read a little further down the page he talks about how the numbers aren't random, and that no computer algorithm creates random numbers. Instead pseudo-random numbers are created.
Computer can't create totally random numbers. There has to be a seed (a number where everything starts) and set of calculations that change that number. But a pseudo-random can be random enough, like on that site claims that the same string never will come up. The same string on that site can come up, but the seeds are made to vary on such conditions that the exact same seeds are with very high probability not going to happen more than once.

Just remember to keep the notepaper in a safe place where others can't see :p

Underneath my keyboard? :)

Having worked in a few 'secure' companies over the past few years, I've now got a habit of using bizzarre passwords, quite long too. When people see me typing in my passwords they're quite surprised, but it's become a habit now...

Patrick Stewart had the best password in the film Safe House. It was a series of graphics you had to arrange to form a Japanese character, unless the alignment was perfect the system would not let you in.

Good luck brute-forcing that one.

I just have a knack for memorizing letters and numbers. My password for almost everything is a combination of some letters and numbers, and capitals, that was our password for the internet on a 14.4 modem when I was about 9 years old. None of my family would even bother remembering something so obscure, so only I know it.

My one at school used to be "asecret", so when people asked my what my password was. I would say, "My password is a secret and Im not going to tell you" :)

I'm getting a bit sick of our work policy when it comes to passwords. We need a password that is longer than 8 characters, does not contain proper words, has to contain a capital letter, and a number, it gets reset every 6 months, AND when renewing it, you cannot use your last 14, or anyone else's last 14.

Part of my job involves installing our software at customer sites. Most of their passwords are either a) non existent or b) stupidly simple to guess. It always impresses dollybird secretaries when I unlock their bosses PC on the 1st or 2nd go, as they have previously tried on countless occasions!
One firm uses "justme" as their admin password on all their DC's!
Where the wife works, they have to have complex passwords, changed every 30 days. People don't cope so just Post-It to the screen :(
Security is good, but too much security is worse :(