Top Gear Back on the Discover Channel

It would be nice if I could get the freakin Science Channel. :mad:

Forget it. The studio segments of the shows are so gutted and dumbed down that they're almost not worth watching. But if you insist and your local cable company won't cooperate, DirecTV is your friend!

Yeah I've seen that same episode, off and on. It is pretty raw in terms of the end result, like something is missing. The reviews are still good, and people who haven't downloaded the show can enjoy it I suppose.

Never watched any of the international versions, but looking at the description of each episode, are they chopped up bits from several different episodes put into a lump? Cuz one episode has the Apache helicopter segment in the same episode as the Bowler Wildcat episode, and i'm sure in the U.K they were made a year apart weren't they :S

I downloaded a couple from a torrent site - the quality really suffered, sort of disjointed. Also to hear the boys using American terms (hood, fender, trunk etc.), that is so. ... Strange.

The studio segments of the shows are so gutted and dumbed down that they're almost not worth watching.

It's the same here on BBC Canada. They take a chainsaw to each episode. I understand why they do it though, because the actual show is an hour and here they have to allow for commercials. That said, at least it does air here in Canada, and for that I am thankful.

yea - the one for this wednesday has the Evo vs. Lambo (5x07) and Hammond getting hit by lightning (4x05). a bit out of order, then.

yes, but people who haven't seen the full show still enjoyed it (i.e. my family/friends)

A bunch of young boys on bikeguide.net were in shock at the awesomeness of TG on Discovery. I know my dad is always watching it when it seems to come on. I showed him and my 83 year old grand father the "alabama episode" and they loved it.

The responses I've seen from just this heap of shit (by some members opinions anyway) tells me a proper version introduced to the US would do quite well.

I think Americans from any state, except Alabama, love laughing at those rural idiots from the Alabama. Almost everyone outside there, knows that's the worst state, it's quite dangerous.

I'm told Alabamans (correct term?) even cannibalise each other if there aren't any sausages or hamburgers..:unsure:

It's the same here on BBC Canada. They take a chainsaw to each episode. I understand why they do it though, because the actual show is an hour and here they have to allow for commercials. That said, at least it does air here in Canada, and for that I am thankful.

At least the Canadian versions are just cut for commercials. The US version is a completely different intro and outro for the segments, apparently they think Americans have no sense of humor whatsoever. You can tell NO ONE is having any fun doing them.

At least those Americans who have ExpressVu can see the Canadian shows which are as close to the real thing as you can get here in the Western Hemisphere.

^F***, I have DirecTV!

yes, but people who haven't seen the full show still enjoyed it (i.e. my family/friends)
In all fairness that is probably true. Even all cut up the program is still better than anything home-brewed (ATM). My first exposure to TG was thru some random internet clips. They were funny. Then I saw few eps on Discovery and I'd lie if I said I did not enjoy seeing the reviews or selected bits of "cocking about".

Nevertheless, the content as presented always felt to me "incomplete", somehow random and out of context, lacking....something. I did not watch the show for a show so much as simply cool cars on track. Exciting but not overly special. After few eps I started poking around the net and found this site. TV life was never the same, and suddenly I understood why I was bothered so much. The actual show as originally produced makes sense and is a show, not some random (albeit cool) review pieces. And, unlike the americanized version, is actually some pretty funny shit.