SUV/Compact SUV

Ok, so you want something with a bit more presence than a typical estate (and I can say estate if I want!)

What about the Volvo XC70? It's comfortable, luxurious, AWD and a bit more clearance than a regular car. It's still not an SUV so it will be safer in a crash - less chance of a rollover, the most deadly kind of crash. It will get better mileage, and it actually has more usable interior space (both cabin and cargo) than many of the SUVs listed so far. How can you loose? It also has that classy Swedish design that will always look good.

http://img79.imageshack.**/img79/1102/5es4gi2.jpg

That does look pretty nice. I'm gonna look into Volvo a bit more.

I'll report back after going to all the stealers and narrowed my search down.

The XC70 is nothing great, a Subaru Legacy is everything the XC70 is but better. It feels very disconnected to drive, same as many SUV's but it's hardly an SUV at all. Plus it's on the pricey side.

That thing looks like a bowling ally hire shoe!

I agree with bartboy, there about the Subaru. I think it would be cheaper than the Volvo and it looks quite nice for what is basically a family wagon.
4q8e9mt.jpg

But hey, Che Guevara wants a Freelander. I don't know very much about them but I do hear that the new model is way better than the old one. There's probably not much point in buying one if you don't intend to use it off road but there's no point in not getting it if it's want you want.

Subaru Legacy Black Limited:
header.jpg

:lmao:

sorry that just looks silly

only good volvo is the V50, but they do that in AWD and some good colours.

Legacy would be a good choice. that one looks really mean 8)

Nissan Xterra - $20g base
Toyota FJ Cruiser - $22g base

Both are badass cars and they are reasonably priced.

Ok, so you want something with a bit more presence than a typical estate (and I can say estate if I want!)

What about the Volvo XC70? It's comfortable, luxurious, AWD and a bit more clearance than a regular car. It's still not an SUV so it will be safer in a crash - less chance of a rollover, the most deadly kind of crash. It will get better mileage, and it actually has more usable interior space (both cabin and cargo) than many of the SUVs listed so far. How can you loose? It also has that classy Swedish design that will always look good.

And in some month there'll be the new version.

Subaru is a lot sportier than Volvo.

For a family car though, I'd still take a Volvo. The Slip detecting AWD system is quite decent and it rides a loft softer than a Subi. The interior is nicer too.

Remember, this is a family car.

I wouldn't go with the Freelander, it's just a Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute. I think they look goofy, but that's just me.

Ha you have no idea what you are talking about.

The old freelander had nothing to do with the Escape and neither does the new one. The old freelander was designed before the escape was even thought of. It was designed back in the late 80s early 90s and went on sale about the same time as the RAV4. Yes it was a bad vehicle in the US because you couldn't get a diesel but its off road ablity was vastly superior to anything else in its class.

The new LR2/Freelander 2 is a clean sheet design and uses an Inline 6 cylinder engine shared with Volvo. I was at the LR2 launch in California and it was bad ass. The LR2 shares its front clip with the S80 sedan but uses more heavy duty suspension components. The rest of the LR2 is unique to Land Rover for now.

I have videos of it too I will find them then edit this post.

Oh and pictures too I have pictures of our group at the launch. The video is just generic that some magazines shot while they were there. I need to up load the pictures to my photobucket thing first.

[YOUTUBE]FYpCg-i0K2U[/YOUTUBE]

The course looked more impressive in person and they skipped the articulation humps that had the LR2 on two and three wheels for a couple hundred feet. The artifical snow there is about a foot deep. Obviously that course is not that extreme but since the majority of the people going through it are driving off-road for the first time and doing it in a vehicle with out low range it is pretty impressive.

[YOUTUBE]zggVAYREeJU[/YOUTUBE]

That video has some of the same footage but some commetary as well. That first water trap is about 20 inches deep. They didn't sent the journalists through the timed trail course that the retailers went through either. I have to look and see if I have pictures of that.

[YOUTUBE]c6ZaWzvCyJU[/YOUTUBE]

Some pretty good shots there.

I agree on the XC70 if you want a little moderate off road ability with slightly more cargo capacity. The seats in the XC70 are very, very comfortable. The seats in the LR2 are the same ones from the Range Rover Sport just with different leather.

Last edited:
get a suburban

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D19gU_YBnZ0[/youtube]

get a suburban

no... just no. he clearly doesn't want a truck, and especially not one that is actually american. no need for a truck that size, unless like you, you live in australia...

no... just no. he clearly doesn't want a truck, and especially not one that is actually american. no need for a truck that size, unless like you, you live in australia...
We Australians don't have much use for them either. I've only seen a handful in the ten-odd years they've been on sale here. We much prefer the Toyota Landcruiser.

Last edited:

I don't think it being American has anything to do with it. It is just not the type of SUV he is looking for.

What about the new Jeep Patriot, or the Liberty, or the Grand Cherokee, or the Wrangler... yes... I like Jeeps, but hey, they are good cars.

Thanks for all the advice, I have kinda opened my search up a bit....so carrying goods is no longer that big of a factor. I still have another month to decide....

I'd recommend an Audi Avant, they're available for very reasonable prices, nice to drive, nice to look at and you can get a lot of stuff into them. Try getting one with a big diesel and you can pull a RAV4 anywhere you want, too.

My vote is on a Subaru wagon (I'd go with a Forester). Very reliable, somewhat sporty (drives great on tarmac) and will probably fulfill the vast majority of peoples' offroad ventures.

A RAV4 and the terrain the toughest terrain you're likely to face - http://media.drive.com.au/?rid=18570

Last edited: