Ford Focus II RS has been canceled

' "It's worth bearing in mind that it's not the green issue which is driving this decision - cars have to be profitable. While Britain is the home of RS, there's not enough interest across other markets for us to earn the kind of money that's going to give the vehicle a green light," said the spokesperson.'

Well you chaps/gals (non Brits) - its all your fault, hang your non Focus buying heads in shame!

Down here in AU we have a real love affair with the Ford and the RS would have been a resounding success going up against the WRX in the market.... don't blame us! 8)

Cobol: Ford claims to bring the mkII Focus to the US would be to expensive. Which makes little sense to me, you'd think having one design being used all over the world would have saved them money on production costs. They obviously aren't saving any more on development cause they can't be bothered to actually design a new car for the US market.

That, and company politics prevent selling anything cheaper than a mustang that is also faster than said Mustang over here.

not to mention BMW 335i.. :p8)

Scion? VW? With 300hp + AWD in a compact hatchback, I was thinking more along the lines of STI and EVO.

Ford needs an entry level "tuner" car. And I don't mean the aerodynamic brick that has the Mustang nameplate or the anorexic USDM Focus.

(I know your joking but)

This wouldn't be a problem if they actually provided the US with the new chassis, rather than restyling the old one for a 2nd time.

And we still haven't gotten any Focus RS, a-holes!

That should be a-RS-holes!:mrgreen:

BTW, we DO get the European ST and four-door saloon and NOT the new US version for some reason. ST versions have virtually sold out here, price at around US$25,000!
And we're not that far away from the US. It's just that car company bosses in the US are completely arrogant and blind to the real demand as to what they perceive to be the potential demand in the US for European Fords!
Just my 2 pesos!
And sorry to rub it in!:p

Is your ST the mkII with the 5 cylinder turbo charged Volvo engine? If it is then thats pretty damn impressive.

I really don't buy that enviro-crap. Since the engine is already in use in the S60R.. It might be because ford might be getting ready to sell Volvo? I really hope they do.. :p

That, and company politics prevent selling anything cheaper than a mustang that is also faster than said Mustang over here.

My point was more about the Focus MkII in general, not (just) the RS.

That should be a-RS-holes!:mrgreen:

BTW, we DO get the European ST and four-door saloon and NOT the new US version for some reason. ST versions have virtually sold out here, price at around US$25,000!
And we're not that far away from the US. It's just that car company bosses in the US are completely arrogant and blind to the real demand as to what they perceive to be the potential demand in the US for European Fords!
Just my 2 pesos!
And sorry to rub it in!:p

Your car market is surprisingly different from ours. I just assumed you guys bought all the left over American cars, because thats all I ever saw in Tijuana when I was a kid. Last few times I've been there I've seen Ford Ka's as well as brand new 1992 Nissan Sentra's (B13 in nissan fan boy speak). Apparently you guys loved the car so much, nissan just kept making it there.

I can't say I'm surprised about you getting the better Fords, almost all the American production of Fords has been moved to Chihuahua. Thanks NAFTA :( . At least Mexican's are having less and less reason to come to the US :lol:

BTW, Don't you guys also get Peugeot's and Renault's as well?

My point was more about the Focus MkII in general, not (just) the RS.

Your car market is surprisingly different from ours. I just assumed you guys bought all the left over American cars, because thats all I ever saw in Tijuana when I was a kid. Last few times I've been there I've seen Ford Ka's as well as brand new 1992 Nissan Sentra's (B13 in nissan fan boy speak). Apparently you guys loved the car so much, nissan just kept making it there.

I can't say I'm surprised about you getting the better Fords, almost all the American production of Fords has been moved to Chihuahua. Thanks NAFTA :( . At least Mexican's are having less and less reason to come to the US :lol:

BTW, Don't you guys also get Peugeot's and Renault's as well?

http://www.ford.com.mx/home.asp

Nice mixture, some cars I've never seen before (Fiesta estate for example) You really should be worried that Mexico gets the Mk2 Focus and the ST and NA doesn't ;)
Here in Europe it's quite common to buy a car in another country (basicly a price issue), so if you want one, just got to Mexico :D

http://www.peugeot.com.mx/
http://www.renault.com.mx/

google helps ;)

Shouldn't have to google everything, especially considering it was just a quick add-on question to what I was already saying. Ever hear of "making conversation" :censored:

The US has safety regulations that make it illegal to import cars without a lot of expense. The EU may have regulations for cars from outside the EU, but not from countries within.

Like even though we get the BMW 330i, legally we couldn't just import a German one. The headlights aren't legal for example.

This country definitely sucks when it comes to freedom of choice. "Land of the free" my ass!

Last edited:
Shouldn't have to google everything, especially considering it was just a quick add-on question to what I was already saying. Ever hear of "making conversation" :censored:

The US has safety regulations that make it illegal to import cars without a lot of expense. The EU may have regulations for cars from outside the EU, but not from countries within.

Like even though we get the BMW 330i, legally we couldn't just import a German one. The headlights aren't legal for example.

This country definitely sucks when it comes to freedom of choice. "Land of the free" my ass!

What's wrong with the lights on a german Beemer? :|

They have a different part number ;)
Seriously I think the headlights have a different set-up because the regulations in the US require them, I think the difference is very minor (and they can be replaced by the right ones for the right market).

Though I find it pretty ridiculous banning imports of totally save cars when you see what is driving around on the streets in the US. Here you can import every car, it just has to pass an examination by the authorities who might require some changes like yellow indicators in the rear but you can even license a car with RHD and nobody cares.

@thedguy: of course I have, didn't you see the ;) ?

I am not really that sure what the rules are if you import a car to finland but I think they only bitch about the lights if the car is imported from UK or other country that drives on the other side of the road or if the car has been modded and the lights are not CE certified, whatver that means. We drive on the right side of the road in fin. :)

The only problem I have noticed on BMW lights is the foglights. It is superduper annoying when the dick behind the wheel keeps the foglight on during normal night time driving. OR daytime driving.

US safety laws are quite a pain in the ass for enthusiasts. They are fine for those who want to make sure they get a car that is somewhat safe, and don't care about cars.

In the 80's people used to bring over V8 S classes before Mercedes started to bring them over. People still do that with Ferrari's because of the waiting lists. This actually pissed Ferrari off and has got US customs cracking down on importing cars, even if they are legally converted.

Legally converting a car to US safety spec can get very expensive. If it's a LHD car and there is one sold in the US, the importer can sight that the US model is close enough, and them change the imported one a little... sometimes. This doesn't work on anything RHD vs LHD. That made imported Subaru Imprezza's and Lancer Evolutions illegal in the US.

I really wish there was a way to get a better enthusiast law on the books so those of us that are willing to accept a car we drive may cause our death in an accident can have cars we want. Right now the only way to bring a car over without modification is if it's rare (under 500) and driven no more than 2500 miles a year.

The DOT (Department of Transportation) has to certify them and they are horribly slow. I know Europe had really nice Hella lights for some 15 years before they could sell them on the same cars in the US.

The example I can recall is that Euro market BMW's, at least the old E36 models, have actual glass covers. The US ones have to be plastic to keep broken glass to a minimum. Even older model cars were required to have ugly ass huge bumpers. A popular thing to do to US spec European cars, especially BMW and Benz's is to remove the "Diving Board Bumpers" and change them to European versions. Our cars require a "5mph bumper" which means you should be able to hit a car at less than 6mph and do no damage to the car.

Also US requires yellow turn signals/side markers. Retarded small stuff. I don't understand why the US (and Japan) don't work with the EU on setting up safety regulations on cars.

As I stated before "America: land of the free" My ass!

Last edited:
This doesn't work on anything RHD vs LHD. That made imported Subaru Imprezza's and Lancer Evolutions illegal in the US.

Not entirely true....on another point actually.

You can get a RHD Subaru Forrester....provided your working for the United States Postal Service or are under contract by them.

US safety laws are quite a pain in the ass for enthusiasts. They are fine for those who want to make sure they get a car that is somewhat safe, and don't care about cars.

In the 80's people used to bring over V8 S classes before Mercedes started to bring them over. People still do that with Ferrari's because of the waiting lists. This actually pissed Ferrari off and has got US customs cracking down on importing cars, even if they are legally converted.

Legally converting a car to US safety spec can get very expensive. If it's a LHD car and there is one sold in the US, the importer can sight that the US model is close enough, and them change the imported one a little... sometimes. This doesn't work on anything RHD vs LHD. That made imported Subaru Imprezza's and Lancer Evolutions illegal in the US.

I really wish there was a way to get a better enthusiast law on the books so those of us that are willing to accept a car we drive may cause our death in an accident can have cars we want. Right now the only way to bring a car over without modification is if it's rare (under 500) and driven no more than 2500 miles a year.
Sadly Canada is following this route, instead of waiting 15 years to import a car the government now wants us to wait 25 which is stupid. Like the US its for "safety" reasons. I'm sure many future Skyline owners are pretty pissed, I've only just seen a handful of R32s and apparently that will be it until another 7 more years to get a very old R32. I doubt any Canadian will want to wait 25 years for a good Euro Ford Focus.