Anyone here use a digital picture frame?

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
I have never really seen the point in these, but there is clearly a market for it so what am I missing here? If you have one, please explain why you bought it, how long you have had it and if you still use it actively.... and if you don't mind, how much was it and how much will it store?

They're way too expensive... unless you wanna display all your pictures in one frame.

I bought one for both my grans for Christmas. Just loaded about 200 pics onto the SD card for both and they just go around in a loop. They seem to like them anyway.

The resolution sucks on most of them as well... I think 800x600 is the best I have found, and the company wanted crack money to pay for it!

I actually find them interesting because i like to collect pics from my favourite stuff (friends, cars, planes,...) but they're still pretty expensive and lack quality.

I like the idea of them because I don't have much space to display my photos. However, I don't shoot digital, so it's pointless for me. I would much rather have a really cool and stylish panel HDTV hanging on the wall. When I'm entertaining guests I can have it display my photography. I think that would be rather cool and stylish and a way to show off my work and my technology.

yeah just get a cheap 12 inch LCD monitor and make a wooden frame to go around it :) problem solved. most have memory card slots built in to run slideshows. much better quality, and you can use it as a normal monitor if you wanted

I always liked the idea. But then I decided just to pick 50 pics of all my friends and me and plastered them on the wall... And there is lots of room left on it...

I'd probably buy an actual digital frame if they were cheaper, but for the money I just got a 15inch lcd and hooked it up to my webserver. Which also gives me, or other people, the ability to just FTP images in from another system. I can also add effects if I wanted, though I just have it change quickly over to another picture on the hour.

Now does it do anything better than a regular picture? Well no, not really. If I can figure how to run a slideshow on the screen and have say a news ticker or a preview of incoming email on the bottom then it might be useful.

I'd probably buy an actual digital frame if they were cheaper, but for the money I just got a 15inch lcd and hooked it up to my webserver. Which also gives me, or other people, the ability to just FTP images in from another system. I can also add effects if I wanted, though I just have it change quickly over to another picture on the hour.

Good idea - though digital picture frames are the easy option for your mum or dad, they are not that versatile and nor worth the money if you know what you're doing

Speaking of resolution, I saw a 14" with 1280x800 the other day. For $350. Ouch.

I bought one for both my grans for Christmas. Just loaded about 200 pics onto the SD card for both and they just go around in a loop. They seem to like them anyway.

that must be the best use for them imagineable. mine would be thrilled if i gave them that. they're always nagging for pics, and since i kinda hate to be on one, there aren't that many around :p

i'm not gonna spend that much money though

I like the idea of having a digital picture frame. I am an avid photographer and I have way to many photos to print and frame. I agree that the commercial versions of most of these photo frames are very expensive and generally have poor resolution/quality.

What I am looking at doing now is making one myself out of an old laptop. I want to do this cheap and with the right system. Also the custom frame I would need would not be cheap. Here is a guide I found in Popular Science Magazine.
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/a4a95adebbf6a010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html