Johnny Smith -- Yay or Nay?

Johnny Smith -- Yay or Nay?

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
He's made a large improvement this season, largely due to not having to do as many boring ass segments like Jon Bentley was doing I think.

So, do you enjoy his segments this season? Or no?

He does not bother me and hes takes a very different approach than any of the other presenters both in the way he explains how something feels but also the experience overall and that alone makes him worthwhile imo..

Yep. I find him nice and entertaining. Loved his C-Class and Phantom reviews.

Yay. He's improved a lot this series - his reports are now some of the best on Fifth Gear (that's not meant to be faint praise).

It's funny how someone who hasn't even been on the show very long is now better than Vicki.

He has improved... however he is still a ricer at heart, so i hate the 'spikey haired c***'. :D

It's funny how someone who hasn't even been on the show very long is now better than Vicki.

I agree 100%. Johnny actually reviews the cars in depth and has a bit of humour about him. Bloody Vicki just squeals and giggles and doesn't really tell you much.

I love his reviews. He's good, and that's an end of it.

He really is great! I loved the way he compared (11x04) the Golf GTI to going to your toilet at home. That's the kind of description i can relate to.

I would love to hear Austere, cl191, don vito and Prost264's opinions about him, since they all voted Nay...

At the risk of being unpopular here, I voted Nay. I have nothing against Johnny and at least he's not as cringingly irritating as Vicki. I just find him a bit boring to be honest.

I would love to hear Austere, cl191, don vito and Prost264's opinions about him, since they all voted Nay...

I was completely indifferent about him until the C Class review. I thought it was boring and he tried too hard. It irritated me enough to form a negative opinion of him.

Fine:

He wastes too much time trying to be funny and doesn't offer enough insight on the car. A prime example would be his dreadful C Class review where he offered literally no information what so ever and instead went on about how much of a twiddling little nancy boy he is and how much he loves to wear rings like a gypsy.
He spent every moment of the whole entire segment speaking in a stupid voice about how many newton metres it take to push in a button while rubbing his genitals on the centre console.
Then he made this years biggest call in motoring journalism; 'Mercedes-Benz build quality has returned' and I'm expected to take him seriously. This guy? A guy that looks like he sleeps in a condemned warehouse at night? A guy that sounds like I'm on acid?

I don't like the guy. I don't like his personality and I don't like the way he thinks he can joke around and be all casual and shit when he still hasn't even begun to prove himself as a motoring journalist.

Last edited:
Big improvement this series, better bits to do also. Thumbs up from me. (To be honest what really irritated me was that silly haircut last series - its gone, so I can now concentrate upon what he is trying to tell me).

Definite yay. Articulate and engaging, he should of been in Lovejoy's place last season. I hope they keep him around.

Ops I voted for Nay cause I thought it said "Gay or Nay" for some reason :? His segments are fine, its just the cars that he does which makes me kind of cringe.....I mean a whole day in a Smart car, ring any bells? I thought his Rolls-Royce Phantom segment would have been really good like 3 years ago. There's tons of other new cars out there right? I think the motoring media as a whole has run out of ideas lately. Could be a reflection upon moderately priced car design if you ask me :p

Ops I voted for Nay cause I thought it said "Gay or Nay" for some reason :? His segments are fine, its just the cars that he does which makes me kind of cringe.....I mean a whole day in a Smart car, ring any bells? I thought his Rolls-Royce Phantom segment would have been really good like 3 years ago. There's tons of other new cars out there right? I think the motoring media as a whole has run out of ideas lately. Could be a reflection upon moderately priced car design if you ask me :p

Aggree with alot of what you say, but I like his segements, but there's room for improvement, imvroomment even. Thought the peanuts in the ashtray was cool touch;) At least he's an antidote to rubber burning car review, his have a bit more imagination in them.