Gaiman to adapt "Death" to silver screen?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41698

Gaiman Adapting Death?

Film Ick reported a rumor that author Neil Gaiman will direct his first feature film later this year: an adaptation of his graphic novel Death: The High Cost of Living, based on his own script.

Citing an anonymous source, the site reported that Gaiman discussed the movie with Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro a couple of weeks back.

The site also reported that the film will most likely shoot in late autumn or early winter in the United Kingdom, that Transformers star Shia LaBeouf is "almost certainly going to play the male lead," named Sexton Furnival in the comics, and that the role of Death?or Didi, as she calls herself in her mortal form?has snagged the interest of a famous young actress who will be named soon.

I am so excited by this I think I need to change my shorts.

Probably Gaiman the only one that can make an adaptation that does the comic justice. Glad to know he's involved. I'd much rather prefer a faithful adaptation of Sandman, though.

I'm hoping that if Deah, the High Cost of Living does well it will open the door to a Sandman adaptation.

Guillermo Del Toro would be a perfect director for this. His cinematography would match very well with Gaiman's universe.

Guillermo Del Toro would be a perfect director for this. His cinematography would match very well with Gaiman's universe.

According to Gaiman himself, Del Toro's contribution to Death would be just as an executive producer. Probably too busy with his other projects. But I agree, if I had to choose outside Gaiman himself, I'd probably go for Del Toro. I can't say I have disliked any of his films, and he seems to have a knack for portraying fantasy worlds and stories in quite an imaginative yet believable way.

When I heard Gaiman speak in Salt Lake, he was asked how he came up with his character Death. I don't remember his exact wording but it was something like this:

"I imagined what it would be like to die, how much of a shock it would be and the type of person I would like to say, 'you know, you really should have looked both ways.'"