Clarkson hates new Civic Type R!

I have driven the newest version of the North American Honda Civic. What I liked mostly was it looked great inside and out. The ride quality isn't actually that bad considering I've been in other Hondas/Acuras that were not that good. Acceleration is rather quick for city speeds. Room in the back is actually decent and good headroom. The things I didn't like were the vague steering, so-so handling, rear visibility, sensitive pedals, its noisy...Toyota is still many years ahead of Honda in sound deadening and lack of grunt with highway speeds, it just seems to hesitate to go faster than city speeds. Its technically the worst car I've driven so far but keep in mind I haven't driven many different cars so with its good points I would say its mediocre, there are far worse cars out there that I haven't driven. The only car I can compare it to properly is the Mazda Protege and I liked that car other than its lack of power and less spacious interior.

road quality probably also plays a big part in it, my integra and my mates new gen integra (RSX to americans) jiggle all over the road and are about as harsh as you can possibly be (and the tyre roar is deafening - sound proofing in general sucks)

You've clearly never driven on any Bay Area roads - even back in Utah where winter destroys the pavement we don't have roads this bad.

As for the noise consideration: I found the road noise is significantly affected by the tires. Many companies make budget tires for the Civic and other smaller cars and they tend to be louder. High-end tires frequently have more advanced tread patterns and rubber compounds which can make for a more quiet ride. I don't really notice anymore because I always have the windows down and the stereo on. Even when I have someone in the car with me I have my window down a bit - an old habit from driving in snow and off road, I like to hear what is going on and I like the fresh air.

As I said before, I have not had the chance to drive one of the new Civics, but I quite like the steering on mine. I can tell that it has the typical understeer of FWD cars, but it turns in nicely and is very responsive and communicative on the road.

I also test drove the Corolla when I was car shopping and I didn't like it at all. The suspension was less responsive and more insulating, the car seemed taller and more prone to body roll, and the steering was very isolated from the road. I went with the Honda and I have never regretted my decision, nor do I share the experiences some other seem to have had with the badge.

Of course I can only share my experiences and I by no means want to invalidate any one else's.

The tyres fitted to the integra at the momment (due for replacement soon but provide excellent grip) are so loud at freeway speed that if you turn the radio up to drown it out a bit you can't have a conversation with someone next to you :p

I also test drove the Corolla when I was car shopping and I didn't like it at all. The suspension was less responsive and more insulating, the car seemed taller and more prone to body roll, and the steering was very isolated from the road. I went with the Honda and I have never regretted my decision, nor do I share the experiences some other seem to have had with the badge.
This is something that has been affecting the majority of the newer Toyotas. The power steering just does too much which makes it feel disconnected, I really feel that in the Avalon. Although I have always liked the ride comfort of Corollas as a passenger other than the noted body roll of course. That said its the absolute primary reason why I'm keeping a big 21 year old RWD Toyota, the more older power steering(more like assist) I feel is far superior than the system they use in newer Toyotas when it comes to feel. Sure its difficult to get used to, but its so much more responsive and fun. I would like to try a Lexus to see if some of that responsiveness remained or has been lost.

Civics always had a hard ride. So JC doesn't like it. So what? It still has triangular exhausts, and a massive fanbase.

I also test drove the Corolla when I was car shopping and I didn't like it at all. The suspension was less responsive and more insulating, the car seemed taller and more prone to body roll, and the steering was very isolated from the road.

Yes, and the ride height on the Corolla is higher. I noticed after seeing a 2007 Corolla and 2007 Civic parked next to each other. The Civic is lower and wider. Inside and out it is a much more exciting car. Although I do like the Corolla engine better. I've also been car shopping recently, and the Civic engine sounded like it was fueled by spanners.

:D

Last edited:
The Type R doesn't have IRS? :blink:

Where's your technology now? Honda's stolen the suspension technology from the Mustang! ROFL!!11!1!!

Upon researching, it actually doesn't. It has a solid beam axle out back. That's delicious.

Wow. I find that hard to believe! :blink:

Correct me if I'm wrong, most FF cars have a live rear axle anyways, to save money, and weight.

Last edited: