24 Heures Du Mans

Gatecrasher

Car(s)
Vovlo 940
24 Hours of Le Mans. It's quite possibly the biggest racing event around. It's the World Cup of motorsports. It tests the driver, the team, and the manufacturer. From Bentleys, Alfas, and Lorraines - to Audis, Peugeots and Astons. Held at the Circuit de la Sarthe - it is considered by many to be the most formidable racing event known to man.

The first event was run in 1923:
Affiche_24h_mans_1923.jpg

It was won by the Chenard & Walcker 2978 S4, driven by Andre Lagace and Rene Leonard.
1923_9.jpg

The series continued, with Bugatti and Bentley snagging a few wins, until the series stopped running during the WWII years. When it returned in 1949, a new marque would take the podium. Ferrari had their first win with the 166MM driven by Luigi Chinetti.
166mm.jpg

In 1966, the Ford GT arrived - giving an American manufacturer their first overall win. Something Chevrolet has not lived up to.
1966_2.jpg

1982 saw the beginning of a truly dynastic car. The Porsche 956, which would give birth to the 962 four years later.
Porsche956WBrun19850802.jpg

Another famous icon of motorsports, the 787B would win the overall in 1991 - drivers were Volker Weidler, Johnny Herbert, and Bertrand Gacho.
1991_55.jpg

2006_8.jpg

In 2000, Audi began their dominance of the Le Mans that continued up until last year (except a victory by Bentley's Speed 8 in 2003). They will be looking to repeat that feat but many are expecting the Peugeot 908 to take the win considering it's dominance in the Le Mans Series. However as of today, Peugeot has not successfully completed a 24h test - so there are still some questions to be answered.

Here's the entry list for the 2007 race: http://perso.orange.fr/lolo.gege/24hduMans/2007.html

My predictions:
LMP1:
Peugeot 908 #7

LMP2:
Barazi Epsilon Zytek O7S #32

GT1:
Team Oreca Saleen S7R #55

GT2:
Risi Competizione Ferrari F430 #98

I know I've skipped a lot of great cars and moments - but theres simply too much history to confine in one thread. I picked out some of the high points (imo) to maybe get people here interested in one of the oldest motorsport events around. Coverage for US viewers will be on SPEED TV. 8AM EST, June 16th.

I never watched Le Mans (except the movie :) ), I now have SPEED TV and will watch it. Can't wait!

Le Mans is awesome, this year will be my fifth year on the trot, and I can't see myself not going for a good few years yet!
Nothing beats being there, the camping, the drinking, the atmosphere of it all.
In two weeks I'll be emerging from my tent ready to head down to Carrefour to stock up!

Hearing Corvettes going down the Mulsanne at night is simply epic and real goosebump moment...

Aaaargh, I'm far too excited and it's still 13 days before I begin to head off! :D

2006_53.jpg

sweet looking murcie in GT1! I bet it will break down after 20 laps.

and a 550!
2006_67.jpg

But we need more cars in GT1 and GT2.

I know I can be overpedantic, but the GT40 actually came to Le Mans in 1964 and the Porsche 956 had already evolved into 962 in 1984.

Anyway, I'm expecting Audi to take the overall win. Again. Audi and Peugeot haven't run against each other yet so we don't know which one is faster. My bet is on Audi, and even if Peugeot beats them in terms of speed I can't see them beating Audi's reliability record.

In GT1 I think it's finally Aston's turn and in GT2 I'm hoping for a win for the #97 F430. Oh, and in LMP2, my bet is on the MG-Lola from RML to repeat their success from last year.

Le Mans is the greatest race known to mankind imo. Just one thing that bothers me: It hasn't got the same status it used to.

No Vipers or Listers :(
At least there is a badass matt black vette. Best o'luck to creation as they are local!

Radio LeMans were saying one of the RTL websites will be carrying a Live Feed of Le Mans this weekend. I believe it was one of the Dutch ones.

Does anybody have a link for it?

Le Mans is a legendary race - though I've never stayed up to watch it all in one go. I reckon Audi will take the LMP1 title over Peugeot, the car they have looks pretty impressive. And they're pretty confident of doing well this year - on the same website they have hired out a whole chateau and giving away free goodies to anyone who turns up driving an Audi. They must have plenty of cash to splash right now...

So my question again, Does anybody know of a link that we can watch Live Streaming of this race, as we did with the 24 Hours last weekend? Radio LeMans mentioned that one of the Dutch RTL sites will be having online streaming. Anybody know where to find it??

So my question again, Does anybody know of a link that we can watch Live Streaming of this race, as we did with the 24 Hours last weekend? Radio LeMans mentioned that one of the Dutch RTL sites will be having online streaming. Anybody know where to find it??

I found sth that might be helpful on a german website, it said that you need the "TVU-player" in order to watch the speed-channel(in the player it is named WHEELS) via live stream. Speed channel is supposed to cover almost all of the 24h.

I can't try it out at the moment since I'm not on my PC.

Whats TVU-Player??

I found sth that might be helpful on a german website, it said that you need the "TVU-player" in order to watch the speed-channel(in the player it is named WHEELS) via live stream. Speed channel is supposed to cover almost all of the 24h.

I can't try it out at the moment since I'm not on my PC.
Which channel is it ? Didnt have anything that says WHEELS...

Thanks. Just got it.

Does it show F1 too??

Thanks. Just got it.

Does it show F1 too??

Yep - Wheels shows F1 via Speed channel - Star Sports also shows F1 - European races generally start at 21:30 Adelaide Time.

This program is excellent

Edit: Grrr. Trying to get Speed TV up and running for F1 practice session 1 and it's not streaming!!

Last edited:
I had a few problems with the program from time to time it would freeze. Hitting the refresh button solved the problem, though a tad annoying.

I just wish it was Joost quality.

Anyone know of any other streams? perhaps a non-american one? I don't really care to learn about all the obvious. Something that assumes I know something about car racing would be nice.