bought the new mac book pro 15.4" today

Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up?
Everybody knows PCs are cheaper than Macs, right? Wrong! (At least sometimes.)
by Scot Finnie

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9023959

Yeah, I already posted a PC laptop that is comparable to that Dell as far as specs for a LOT less cash, and it's an ASUS which means the build quality is going to be way better. Pretty lame article. It looks like they just tried to find the most expensive laptop they could, when you can actually get better quality for a lot less.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing that a mac maybe cheaper in some circumstances but that article poorly demonstrates it, they complain about pricey addons then when it comes to a mac with less ram they say just buy generic stuff.

HardOCP recently wrote an article where they tested OSX for 30 days.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM0OCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

"It would be accurate here to say: "Mac OS X has some amazing capabilities, but you spend a lot of money." Indeed, it seems the preferred method for solving Mac computer problems is to buy your way out of it. Slow computer? Buy a new one. Want to convert a file? Buy a utility. Want to do simple tasks? Buy a commercial program. Peripherals don't work? Buy replacements."

It looks like he bought it the day they new model was released...LED backlit screen is a tip-off.

yes i got the new one... LED backlight, 8600gt, 2.4ghz cpu, all that

its still not arrived yet, apple and TNT are being incredibly slow with the shipping, and their combined tracking efforst pretty much amount to nought. its infuriating at best.

using apecode.com/appletrack i have found out that it is at least in europe, somewhere because its been to the european distribution center in Arnhem, holland, and been spat out the other side.

but i found out today that despite paying through the nose for a laptop, apple pay TNT the absolute rock bottom price for shipping, as a result the products get sent as lowest priority and by slowest means.

if they had paid for a better shipping tier, it would of been on a ferry coming direct to the UK. instead they were cheap and its on the back of lorry making its way through europe

i am incredibly pissed off with apple over this. going by the website i assumed 3 day shipping like it said. i didnt realise that meant 3 days until it even moves....then upto 2 weeks after that you might recieve it.

they took my money tho, they were very quick about doing that.

so far, not entirely happy with my first apple experience.

Thats horrible. Such poor service overseas :mad:

At least everyone I know here in the US gets their Apple stuff quick. :rolleyes:

they took my money tho, they were very quick about doing that.

:lol: It seems most people are quite good at the money part of the transaction.

Thats horrible. Such poor service overseas :mad:

At least everyone I know here in the US gets their Apple stuff quick. :rolleyes:

:lol: It seems most people are quite good at the money part of the transaction.

it better not turn up with dead pixels/damaged in anyway/or have gay problems like kaput fan bearings or loud hard disk

ill be mad if it does:mad:

I dont know if its the same in the UK as in the US but is the education discount only available online? I would much rather go to the Apple store than purchase online and wait forever.

My university sells Apples on campus but I live 4 1/2 hours away, surely they must accept the student discount. :rolleyes::lol:

I dont know if its the same in the UK as in the US but is the education discount only available online? I would much rather go to the Apple store than purchase online and wait forever.

My university sells Apples on campus but I live 4 1/2 hours away, surely they must accept the student discount. :rolleyes::lol:

yeah i think it is

if i was to buy it, off of a uni computer, their network is recognised by apple and you get super discounts.... you can also do it over the phone, and if you provide proof that you are a student then you can also get the uber discount.

not sure if you can in the stores, we dont have an apple store here.

Yeah, you can do it in the Apple Store... I had to make a day trip to London, took my papers with me (registration papers) to prove I was a student at the University, walked into the Apple Store, got the student discount (mahoosive one at that - as got an almost free iPod Video, and completely free printer, plus AppleCare for ?59) and walked out with my MBP.
Otis, one of the biggest drawbacks of getting a new model is that you're gonna have to wait for it to arrive. If it wasn't a new model you'd have probably gotten it super quick.
However, from the amount of time it's taken, I'd be tempted to phone them up and at the very least ask for some sort of compensation "I got rid of the other computer expecting this one to be here already... I can't work... yadda yadda..." :) I've found they're fairly accommodating for their customers...

well its arrived today! get in

im at work right now tho, then going to the gym right after, so i wont be able to regal you all with how great it is til 7pm! haha

10days? That's quite a time. it took apple 36h to deliver mine. :D

hurry up! I like to live vicariously through others. :lol:

For those who also wanted to know: the education discount is available in stores but the proof they require depends on the store so you're better off calling before.

holy freaking shit this thing is awesome!

i loved how they packed it...heh attention to detail or what!

the damn thing is silent and i mean silent, i cant even hear any fans or hard disk or anything. everything is silky smooth as expected and the screen.....well, the LED screen is soo bright its making my dell 2005fpw look dim!

when its light tomoro il get my DSLR off charge and ill take some shots for you all.

seriously this is superb.

just need to figure out how i can get my opera passworrds off windows and onto the mac now lol

i cant remeber any of my passwords hardly

Last edited:
Yeah, the packing is quite something. Like you I was really quite chuffed at it, and it makes it feel special... it probably sounds weird to people who haven't seen it, but the packaging is really cool.

And yeah, silent is one of the big reasons I went for it - my old G3 powerbook was also completely silent and this one is the same... I love the fact that I can open a doc off of my memory stick and work off that then even the hard disk spins down and work in true silence... amazing...

Wish I could compare my screen to the new ones with the LCDs.... actually, no I don't... I may not be happy with mine anymore! :)
I was helping out a friend who's just bought the MacBook - the new wireless chips seem awesome... her MacBook could connect to our local wireless network with a good signal, mine wouldn't even connect...

Oh well - congrats! Did you ever complain about the delivery?

nah i didnt, think plenty of people did that already lol

heres some shots, sorry about the size, they are full 10mp jpegs!!!! i couldnt find how to reduce their size in aperture so you'll have to do it yourselves haha

ff and ie will probably resize for you, but opera shows the full size image for some reason

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/macmason/IMG_2444.JPG
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/macmason/IMG_2425.JPG
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/macmason/IMG_2431.JPG
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/macmason/IMG_2432.JPG

hehe apparently there are two fans spinning at 2000rpm ish..... can barely hear them. its a barely audiable woosh of air.....quite impressive considering whats under the hood