Lens Flair

seiko.jpg

\o/

Last edited:
<rant>
^ wasnt there an 800px width rule? It's hard to admire pics when they are running off limits and when you have a touchpad to scroll back and forth....
</rant>

today's pic
http://img487.imageshack.**/img487/1882/dsc0008671ne7.jpg

Fixed it.

Hehe, NAIDANAC A: you have any idea how i should go about doing that? :p

<rant>
^ wasnt there an 800px width rule? It's hard to admire pics when they are running off limits and when you have a touchpad to scroll back and forth....
</rant>

I think it's 1024... what screen resolution are you running?

http://img207.imageshack.**/img207/1706/img5913copyhv3.jpg

Not quite positioned how I'd like it (I should've got both reversing lights fully in frame) but I like this shot...

41-MR2Beaulieu2007.jpg

Mine look terrible compared to you guys. Well I suppose you do all have DSLRs right? Thought so. I can't afford one. Yet.

http://img365.imageshack.**/img365/1928/xl800981hb0.jpg

Mine look terrible compared to you guys. Well I suppose you do all have DSLRs right? Thought so. I can't afford one. Yet.

Hi Speedtouch... don't worry, it all comes with practice! And I definitely wouldn't say terrible!! In fact one thing that's really fantastic about this thread, if you go back to the earlier pages you can see peoples photos a few years back (or is it a couple of years - been a while since I've been there! :p ) and if you go through them you can see how some of these guys have developed...
One of the joys of digital is that you can snap away without worrying about cost and practice loads... though this is also a disadvantage as you get into a habit of just snapping then deleting any you don't like.

I learnt with film (the worrying thing is this wasn't too long ago either!) and so have learnt to compose well so as not to waste frames. Although I got out of practice after not picking up a camera for a long time and am just getting back into it. Some of the guys on here take a lot of photos and so get the practice...

You don't need an SLR. In fact whenever I've given my lectures for the photoclub here at Uni, I've always said that I personally think it's better to have not such a great camera at first, to learn how to compose photos well. When you can get great photos out of a not so great camera, then it's time to step up - then you're ready to learn about playing with more advanced things like Depth of field and shutter speed. Until then, just learn about composing the shot.

What's more, the photo I'm going to post now (which I took a few days back) I took with my rubbish compact digicam - it's 4 years old now and the metering on it is not great at all... but it's proof (In my opinion) that with a bit of creativity you can get unusual shots from most cameras.
In order to get this one I actually cheated a little and used one of my SLR lenses on the end of the compact... I don't have a DSLR myself, just a couple of film SLRs. Borrow Dad's DSLR whenever I go home though...

So, the key word is practice. Oh, and enjoy it!

After all that...:

ladybird.jpg

(as it came out the camera, bar the frame and watermark both of which I thought I'd try out...)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info monkeymax! Very informative. Now you tell me I do agree. Learn to compose, then get into detailed stuff. Great.

http://img356.imageshack.**/img356/8459/dsc011611uw0.jpg

Alok: Cool bike shot!
Monkeymax: Excellent little essay there!

A typical Vermont scene:
162254323-L.jpg

Thanks guys! Far from an expert myself but like to give guidance if I can... plus I've been writing a lot of stuff for various different things lately - sometimes it's difficult to just switch off! LOL...

Anyway, a shot from the same day as the ladybird one above - using the same technique:
RedTip-800.jpg

Now, I know the focus isn't great (the DoF is extremely narrow which I couldn't change) but of the three shots I got of this little flower, I prefered this angle over the others. Plus the smallest breathe of wind and this tip was moved - not far in normal terms but out of my frame in the camera... plus doing this all handheld made it just a bit more challenging (but so worth it afterwards)...
I'm afraid I did have to edit the colours a bit in PS as the original photo had a contrast that was just a bit too high for my liking...

Just to show you just how small that little tip is:
RedTipSize.jpg

That 1p piece is about 2cm in diameter... :)

Went to Supercar Sunday yesterday for Fathers Day with my Dad - part of an MR2 club thing. Didn't get as many photos of cars as I'd like, but have a few doughnut shots to put up, plus a few photos of a certain famous stunt driver whom I had a chat with...

Last edited: