Lets see what happens when a car sits in water for 50 years...

That's one huge turn out to look at a rusty car. I like how Viper's link only shows incomplete, sort of out of focus, long distance shots of the car.

I don't like the work he does, and it very well might just be the magic of TV, but he says just the dumbest things. He likes to change things just for the sake of changing them. I also don't like how he apparently treats people. Again it could be made to look worse through editing, but you can't deny that people are always either quitting or getting fired from his shop, it's a revolving door. He also likes to think that everyone else in the industry is out to get him and screw him over.

He's not the only car guy on TV that annoys me, but that is another story.

jdugeing from the things we get to see on tv, i don't like him that much either

but i think he made some cool cars

i could almost say the opposite of you, but about chip foose. he works and transforms a car completely, and you end up with the exact same car in a new coat of paint

i could almost say the opposite of you, but about chip foose. he works and transforms a car completely, and you end up with the exact same car in a new coat of paint

No. Case in point:

f1c7f25e.jpg

Gunmetal Grey combined with a resto-mod look. And Carroll Shelby has the audacity to sign off on this abomination!! Methink he's gone senile.

And his Overhaulin' 'stangs fare no better:

overhaulin1new.jpg

overhaulin2new.jpg

overhaulin3newone.jpg

The rims what get's me. Take a sharp turn and the rims will break!! It's like theirs not enough metal to compensate for the power he stuffed into the car.

And this.....the woman who got it.....I don't think she even deserved it after she tried to unload it on eBay.

overhaulin4newone.jpg

Last edited:
I love those 1st, 3rd, and 5th cars. :(

Is that first one the Rad Rides Mustang? Man i love that car

Foose had nothing to do with the GT500E's that Unique Performance has been making for the last couple of years. As I understand it, UP was just building them to meet demand to have a copy of the car from the movie, then Shelby got involved and signed off on them. After that each GT500 or GT350 they build get their own Shelby VIN tag and are entered into the official Shelby registry. Also if I remember correctly, they were building these cars with Chevy smallblocks under the hood, but now they use brand new 427 racing blocks that Shelby has been casting.

Now this isn't to say Foose hasn't been involved with Unique Performance and mustangs. He did one with them a few years ago that was a dressing up of the current mustang called Stallion. He also worked with them to make his own version of a 69 Camaro.

All of those Mustangs are butt-ugly. I would not want that either. What do you mean she tried to sell it on eBay? Didn't sell or was it pulled?

After I saw Shelby advertising some rubbish fuel additive on TV I thought he was a sell-out.

Last edited:
I really like Foose's designs. Some of the cars he has done for Overhaulin' have not been what Foose wanted to do, but catered to the owner. They use the insiders to get an idea of what the owner wanted to do with the car. Also, remember these cars are done in only 7 days. Even with a kick-ass crew like The A-Team, that puts a real limit on what you can do.

The thing I like about Foose is that his design changes are usually fairly subtle. He tries to make the car look "stock" the way it appeared in the designer's mind before cost and manufacturing limitations had to be taken into consideration. Each designer has his own style and personality, I like Foose's work and I would love to have a car done by him. Other people like a different style of customization, so a different designer would be best for them.

Foose has a great attitude and you can tell he really loves designing and building. Boyd's shop has much more drama, more infighting, and he always says that he's "running a business here." I have never heard Foose mention the business side of his shop, ever. He does what he does because he loves the work, that's the kind of guy I want working on my car.

All of those Mustangs are butt-ugly. I would not want that either. What do you mean she tried to sell it on eBay? Didn't sell or was it pulled?

I forgot the result, but the S-197 Mustang and the Dodge Magnum did get on eBay. I frequented the Overhaulin' Forums on the Discovery Channel website at one point, and many fans were extremely pissed that not only did Overhaulin' "Overhauled" modern rides, that they went to undeserving owners.

Of course, it wasn't as vitriolic as when Ian Zeiring got his Camaro overhauled. People were fuming over that one, crying "Favortism" because Jason Priestly was at the time, a host on Rides.

Foose had nothing to do with the GT500E's that Unique Performance has been making for the last couple of years. As I understand it, UP was just building them to meet demand to have a copy of the car from the movie, then Shelby got involved and signed off on them. After that each GT500 or GT350 they build get their own Shelby VIN tag and are entered into the official Shelby registry. Also if I remember correctly, they were building these cars with Chevy smallblocks under the hood, but now they use brand new 427 racing blocks that Shelby has been casting.

Now this isn't to say Foose hasn't been involved with Unique Performance and mustangs. He did one with them a few years ago that was a dressing up of the current mustang called Stallion. He also worked with them to make his own version of a 69 Camaro.

Foose helped DESIGN the "retarded" Eleanor. They even mentioned this in an episode of Rides.

I wonder what Boyd has in store for this car. I think he's incapable of doing a real restoration. My money is on him doing the normal thing which makes the car look just like every other one he's done. I guess we'll find out in 2 months when they trot this car back out when it's finished.

Foose helped DESIGN the "retarded" Eleanor. They even mentioned this in an episode of Rides.

The original "Elenor" ain't bad, but what irritates me is all the copy cats. But his choice in wheels can be pretty bad on cars. Old cars shouldn't have the thin spoke style, I hate 'em on any car, but older cars are just worse some how.

Many of his cars look damn good though. As someone else said, I like how much of what he does to cars is just to clean up the body work, and made them look the way they were intended to by the original designer... with really big ugly wheels.

I don't like the work he does, and it very well might just be the magic of TV, but he says just the dumbest things. He likes to change things just for the sake of changing them. I also don't like how he apparently treats people. Again it could be made to look worse through editing, but you can't deny that people are always either quitting or getting fired from his shop, it's a revolving door. He also likes to think that everyone else in the industry is out to get him and screw him over.

I know a lot of the industry does hate him. He's the poster boy for everything that is wrong with Hot Rodding if you ask anyone into "rat rods" or traditional rods. Though apparently he doesn't pay well, and a lot of that overtime he requires out of his team for no particular reason except for the drama, goes unpaid. The way he just keeps dumping off employee's and keeps creating pointless drama has made me stop watching the show.

He's also been busted for illegally registering cars as a 32 or a 55 chevy or the like and not having a single piece of the vehicle made by the original company or from that era.

Barry White is another story
I saw his show once, and also the one where he competed against Jimmy Shine for AMBR. I swear White has 0 originality. Especially when it comes to street rod/custom.

I wonder what Boyd has in store for this car. I think he's incapable of doing a real restoration.

He is completely incapable of a restoration. There was a car on American hot rod where a guy asked him to restore his dads Drag car, and he tried to modernize the crap out of it.

The thing that gets me about Boyd the most is his commercials. I used to work near his shop and a friend of mine lived a block from his shop. THERE ARE NO O'REILY'S Auto stores in the state of California.

Last edited:
It'll end up a roadster conversion, with two tone modern house of kolor paint and fat rims. In other words, shit.

Something else that bothers me about Boyd, his crew rushes to finish every build and then he and Duane walk out to fire it up and give it the first test drive. What the hell? Since they did all the work, shouldn't they get first crack at driving it? Atleast once in a while?

I read about him pleading guilty to fraud. Registering new cars as classics to avoid taxes and whatnot. Hasn't he also gone bankrupt a couple times?

I saw the episodes where they were rebuilding that old drag car. If I recall that was one of the main reasons why Mike, their wheel designer, left. They put him "in charge" of the build and then kept making changes behind his back, telling him to step up and suggest stuff, and asking who he thought he was to make changes after Body had spoken. Talk about mixed messages.

I'm glad that his best guys have left to work for Foose over the last couple of years, it just shows how bad of a boss he is. The same can be said about Duane. The only person, other than Boyd, that he is even remotly nice to is that old retarded guy who helps clean up the show. He should be ashamed of himself for how he treated Tony the intern, I know the kid wasn't the brightest but he didn't deserve the crap he got.

Someone I wish would leave is Lee Hayes, the middle aged black guy who used to help Roy. That guy was just blessed with a sunny disposition and always has a smile on his face no matter what goes on. He deserves better.

I'm glad that his best guys have left to work for Foose over the last couple of years

The irony of that statement is Foose was Boyds top designer for a long time. When they were building Cadzilla (which inspired the "Efijy" Holden Concept) at Coddington's shop, there is a picture of Foose on the cover working on the unfinished car.

I'm betting Lee will stick around as long as there is a TV show. His personality makes him great for the show (especially when Roy was still alive). I wouldn't be surprised to find that his job is basically guaranteed on the show.

I know that Foose used to work for Boyd and designed alot of cars that won Boyd awards. If you remember when Charlie left, Boyd kept saying "You and Chip have been planning this for a long time! He's been trying to steal you away from me for a long time. You're trying to screw me, just like everyone else has since I started. Chip is a piece of shit" blah blah blah.

From what I've seen Chip and Boyd are at totally different ends of the spectrum. Going back to that Chip quote about not seeing anyone as a competior, but a possible best friend, where as Boyd sees everyone as out to get him and will just use people as he sees fit.

One person at the shop who did have his fate coming to him was BlueBear. He was always a little know it all gods gift sack of shit. He was like the bully in highschool who was never knocked down a few pegs, and since he figured he was untouchable it only made things worse. I wish someone he was picking on would have just snuck up on him with a pry bar and just gone to town.

And I just thought of something, who is going to foot the bill for this 57? Is Tulsa going to be sending a check or is Boyd going to do this for free?

The original "Elenor" ain't bad, but what irritates me is all the copy cats. But his choice in wheels can be pretty bad on cars. Old cars shouldn't have the thin spoke style, I hate 'em on any car, but older cars are just worse some how.

Many of his cars look damn good though. As someone else said, I like how much of what he does to cars is just to clean up the body work, and made them look the way they were intended to by the original designer... with really big ugly wheels.

I think he expects every car to win an award. It's pretty much that he's in Riddler Award Mode. To hell with functionality, slap on some thin wheels and let it rip!!

I know a lot of the industry does hate him.

How did one sticker go? Avoid the Boyd.

He is completely incapable of a restoration. There was a car on American hot rod where a guy asked him to restore his dads Drag car, and he tried to modernize the crap out of it.

I was litterally going nutso on that episode. The Project Manager had absolutely no control over the project. Boyd overrode him alot of times, and the end result looked too "modern" to me. What did the guy say...."it was becoming a Boydster."

As for the Plymouth? I wouldn't be surprised if he chops the top by 3 inches, channels it, puts a glasspack, and stuffs a Viper Engine into it.

And I just thought of something, who is going to foot the bill for this 57? Is Tulsa going to be sending a check or is Boyd going to do this for free?

Hopefully pro-bono, and the historical society gave him a severe list of stipulations.

Last edited:
Avoid the Noid. Dominos should give that little bastard a comeback tour.

I wish there was some way we could follow the work on the car, but I doubt any updates will be posted till the car is finished. As I said before it will probably be two months till then, and the episodes probably won't air till the end of the year. That is a long time to wait for fresh cannon fodder.

I have an idea though. I say we all pool our money and buy a Bluesmobile with the giant megaphone on top. We then have someone drive by the shop several times a day, day after day, telling Boyd just what we think of him and what he should be doing to the car. Just picture it.

"Leave the car alone! Stop what you're doing right now and give it to a shop who will do the right thing with it. Do not rape another classic"

"Hey Lee, you RULE! Why do you put up with these guys?"

"If you cut, chop, channle, french, rake, lower, raise, remove, or add anything billit to that car you will be sorry"

"Charlie, Scott, and Mike send their love"

I have an idea though. I say we all pool our money and buy a Bluesmobile with the giant megaphone on top. We then have someone drive by the shop several times a day, day after day, telling Boyd just what we think of him and what he should be doing to the car. Just picture it.

"Leave the car alone! Stop what you're doing right now and give it to a shop who will do the right thing with it. Do not rape another classic"

"Hey Lee, you RULE! Why do you put up with these guys?"

"If you cut, chop, channle, french, rake, lower, raise, remove, or add anything billit to that car you will be sorry"

"Charlie, Scott, and Mike send their love"

"CHIP FOOSE IS A GOD!!" That would irk him beyond psychotic. :lol: