Billion Routers any good?

jmb

Car(s)
BMW 120D M-Sport
Need new router for home that does Wireless, ADSL, VPN tunnels.
Draytek and Zyxel I'd be happy with but they are a bit pricey... but for 50 quid or so less I can get the Billion 7402G.

Anyone used one? Are they reliable?

A billion of what?

Never heard of them here in the states..

They've got a following here - I've been using a 7100S for several years now without a hitch. Well priced, good quality units.

i've never heard of them either, but from the site they look very good. lots of features and they look more robust than most others :)

They have a cult following here in aus because of places like wingepool.com.au *cough*
supposed to be quite good

^ It's .net.au :p

Sure there's plenty of winging on there, but there's some good advice to be had too.

99% of it is "why are you guys still with bigpond they are teh suck" or someone pretending to make a vague question that relates back to telstra sucking

Well thanks for the replies- I asked in another couple of places too, and so far no horror stories (although most people haven't a clue what they are :)) so I've taken the plunge and ordered one.
If it's crap, you're all to blame :p

Dlinks suck

the last few D-links i had where cheaply built unreliable pieces of tat. the last one's power adapter actually fizzled out....bought a netgear instead and its been great, plus the handy wizard thingy its got in it means when it goes wrong while im away even my mum can fix it

i would never buy a D-link. for a start they look shit with the bright colours. if it's gonna sit in my desk,i'm gonna have to look at it at some point, so it has to look good-ish (Linksys WRT54GS here :)) but they look really cheap too.

for me it would be linksys or netgear, but as i have said this one seems quite good :)

It's arrived. Not set it up yet as at work, but is smaller than expected and looks nice in an understated way - feels fairly solid.

I've been burned with Linksys tho - figured that because it said Cisco on it, it would be quite good (this was a WAG54G).
The wireless became horrendously unreliable, but I kept it (coupled with a seperate Wireless Access point) and it was OK - until the LAN ports gave out too...

Same thing happened to two other guys in the office with the same thing as well :(

Thats what I heard about D-Link, but I got the slightly updated WBR-2310 and it's been fantastic. It apparantly fixes some of the old model's problems. Looks great too compared to the previous model as it comes in black and silver. Much better than my old Microsoft POS.

I agree with Matt2000, never buy a D-Link, especially if you want to use BT. I never heard of Billion router either, so idk how good (or bad) they are. But I'm currently using a Netgear WGR614 router and it's great.

I like D-Links and Netgears.

Personally I wouldn't use either of those. I have had a d-link in the past and it wan't very good and several of my friends have netgears, mainly because they are cheap and they don't want to spend extra money when they can get a cheaper one, and they are usually the ones calling me up for help.

I have a couple of 7404VGP-M's running my home wireless network and have never had a problem with them. My brother works for an ISP and Billions, although not the easiest to use, are the ones he would recommend without going to really expensive stuff like Ciscos.