Hey Hey It's Saturday

HondaF1

Aussie Bastard
Car(s)
First Aberdeen Bus Network
Attention Australian's

Hey Hey it's back again

AUSTRALIAN TV veteran Daryl Somers is a step closer to reinventing his iconic variety program Hey Hey It's Saturday.

Following talks with Seven boss David Leckie, Somers has received funding to make a pilot of a new Saturday night format, which would see him return to the primetime slot he ruled for 15 years.

Hey Hey It's Saturday began on Channel 9 in 1971 as a Saturday morning children's cartoon show.

In 1984 it graduated to an evening slot and became a powerhouse for Nine.

The show won 28 Logies and was holding its own in the ratings when Nine decided to axe it as a result of high production costs. The final episode screened on November 20, 1999.

Seven had no comment to make regarding Somers' return.

It is no secret, however, that since his reincarnation as host of the hugely successful Dancing with the Stars, Somers has believed there is a public appetite for a Saturday night variety show.

John Blackman, who made his name as Hey Hey's voiceover man, is said to have been approached to work on the pilot.

The whispers of a Hey Hey return will be greeted with delight by thousands of viewers, many of whom grew up on the antics of beloved characters Ossie Ostrich and Dickie Knee.

It is not known, however, whether that particular pairing would be revived for the new program.

Source

John Blackman on MMM in Adelaide had mentioned about 2 months ago that Daryl had been having some discussions with him, and now this :D\

Red Symonds and Russell Gilbert are both on 7, so theres some of the regulars. Basically they could have the old format going from Day 1. Hopefully they bring back Red Faces.

Will you be glad to see it back? Did you watch it growing up? Did you miss it when it was axed?

They know what to do differently and what people liked on that show, so I think it will still be like Hey Hey, but made for the 21st century.

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!

The return of Plucka and Red Faces, yes please. I remember watching Hey, Hey growing up, wasn't happy when it got axed. Hopefully, it will follow a very similar format. :)

I can see Sonia Kruger being the Lavinia Nixon of the new show.

Last edited:
^^^ what he said.... and while we are being nostalgic..... I would love to see a reunion of Good News Week

*does a happy dance*

I can't wait until its back on the air... I remember the Saturday nights in front of the TV. And with Hey Hey in the 7:30pm timeslot, and The Sideshow with Paul McDermott on the ABC moving to a 9:30pm timeslot.... it's looking to be an enjoyable night in front of the TV..... (Yes... I know.... I have no life...)

Last edited:
Watched it when I was younger, but I don't miss it. I think it had it's time - however if they make for format a big edgier, it might just work again.

This sounds like a good show - swap you Tiswas for it :

[youtube]ToJOy9EMUfY[/youtube]

[youtube]9VgOSymxSzw[/youtube]

[youtube]LpXy4M7_mvs[/youtube]

Aussies - Can you guys find any clips. ...

Last edited:
Even when I was young and stuck in the house I didn't watch this show. Now that i'm older i'm usually out playing pool and getting drunk and high and trying to get laid on a Saturday night.

Yeah, bring it back. The old ladies will be glad. And who knows; If it has Sonia Kruger as Devon postulated I might even watch it when I stay in...