So I have $60,000 - what to buy?

Going a little OT here, but the Solstice I sat in had 1000% exactly the same plastic in the interior as found on the outside of my gorgeous, mint condition, 2006 GARBAGE CAN
If the Sky's interior is anywhere near that, I would agree with deuses.

Thanks everyone! To answer some of these questions....

The Austin Martin V8 Vantage. If I could find a 1 year old used one for 60k, I'm sold! But it'll never happen... :(

Check the Los Angeles and San Francisco Craigslist. I saw one last week go for that. And if you want a V12, there's lots of DB7s running around for cheap.

Alternately, you could get the V8 Vantage's sister car, the 07 XK8 or XKR, used. Jaguar has depreciation like nobody else, so they get cheap when used. You could even get an 06 XKR, the previous car (which I own a 00 example of, and like the looks and appointments of more) for cheap: http://www.texascarsdirect.com/PublicWeb/UI/WebForms/InventoryDetail.aspx?id=5388A

That's a black XKR Coupe with 16,000 on the clock for $49K.

Jaguar's depreciation is unbeatable! :p Well, maybe by the french! Big Citroens lose lots of value, from what I remember.

But an XKR seems like a very, very good option.

Jaguar's depreciation is unbeatable! :p Well, maybe by the french! Big Citroens lose lots of value, from what I remember.

True - Citr?ens have value in Europe, but the second they come off the boat here in the US, they instantly depreciate to $0.00 - because you couldn't give them away. Probably why Cit bailed out of the US market years ago.

True - Citr?ens have value in Europe, but the second they come off the boat here in the US, they instantly depreciate to $0.00 - because you couldn't give them away. Probably why Cit bailed out of the US market years ago.

If you know someone one who is giving them away please tell me. Its quite difficult to find a Citroen DS in the states their are only around 200 known. Also if you know of a gray market importer that could get me a C6 i would love to hear their quotes.

If you got 60 grand why not go for something that has presence. Go a bit nuts, it doesn't have to be a good car, just as long as it says something. Cadillac XLR Roadster is a perfect example, a bit slower than the corvette not short in the looks department. Buy a used Ferrari or a great big Merc just don't go for something that is a technical masterpiece because it will be a real monstrosity.

A second hand vantage V8 is really 100.000 ???

What about cars that were used by rent-a-car agencies?

If you know someone one who is giving them away please tell me. Its quite difficult to find a Citroen DS in the states their are only around 200 known. Also if you know of a gray market importer that could get me a C6 i would love to hear their quotes.

There's six DS sitting less than two miles from here at a shop that specializes in French and Italian auto repair. He's been trying to sell at least two of them for years. Nobody wants them. He also has a couple of 2CVs - same thing, nobody wants them.

Everyone remembers how Renault (and other French companies, such as Peugeot) treated their US customers, so nobody wants to deal with them.

I'd say Cayman. The M3 is going to have a line out the door and around the corner. You'll wait forever and have absolutely no chance at a deal. But to be honest I'd just get an S2000 and pocket the difference. Besides badge and bragging I don't see what a Cayman or Z4 can do that an Rx-8, 350Z, or S2000 can't.

There's six DS sitting less than two miles from here at a shop that specializes in French and Italian auto repair. He's been trying to sell at least two of them for years. Nobody wants them. He also has a couple of 2CVs - same thing, nobody wants them.

Everyone remembers how Renault (and other French companies, such as Peugeot) treated their US customers, so nobody wants to deal with them.

Whats he looking for the DS's

See my previous post about the sti, rx-8, 350Z, the S2000 falls in there too. I agree they're all great cars though and I do recommend them to my friends.

I'm not looking for a roadster/convertible. I honestly would never put the top down, that's just me.

I'm not looking for a car to show off, I'm looking for a car to DRIVE, and when I say drive I mean really drive for fun on back roads and taking to the track, power slides and just enjoying the entire driving experience. :)

To answer the question of insurance: I live in northern VA and I've checked, it'll cost around $200/month for full coverage. I feel sorry for anyone living in NJ.

As for Jags... Even though I think they're great, I just... I can't get over the interior, I'm sorry. It just looks like an old mans car. Also, I'd like to drive a manual.

Alot of you are saying RS4 and Vette, so I'm going to test drive those next week and let you know.
I agree with a lot of you that the cayman s looks great. IMO it's the best looking porsche out there. If I come across a good deal for a 1 year old used one, I just may go for that. But that also goes for the M coupe if it's blue w/ carbon leather trim, mmm sexy.

Thanks for everyone's input!

See my previous post about the sti, rx-8, 350Z, the S2000 falls in there too. I agree they're all great cars though and I do recommend them to my friends.

I'm not looking for a roadster/convertible. I honestly would never put the top down, that's just me.

I'm not looking for a car to show off, I'm looking for a car to DRIVE, and when I say drive I mean really drive for fun on back roads and taking to the track, power slides and just enjoying the entire driving experience. :)

To answer the question of insurance: I live in northern VA and I've checked, it'll cost around $200/month for full coverage. I feel sorry for anyone living in NJ.

As for Jags... Even though I think they're great, I just... I can't get over the interior, I'm sorry. It just looks like an old mans car. Also, I'd like to drive a manual.

Alot of you are saying RS4 and Vette, so I'm going to test drive those next week and let you know.
I agree with a lot of you that the cayman s looks great. IMO it's the best looking porsche out there. If I come across a good deal for a 1 year old used one, I just may go for that. But that also goes for the M coupe if it's blue w/ carbon leather trim, mmm sexy.

Thanks for everyone's input!

I just sold a one year old used Cayman with 1,900 miles on it for 56,000 USD.

MSRP on the car was 71,000 USD.

Want me to let you know if I run across another? :D

Get a Honda NSX...

..if you don't think it's too 'gay'

Going a little OT here, but the Solstice I sat in had 1000% exactly the same plastic in the interior as found on the outside of my gorgeous, mint condition, 2006 GARBAGE CAN
Good, should be very durable then.

I sat in a base model 3-series BMW and it had far worse plastics in the interior then any domestic I've ever owned. Even more so then the Solstice I test drove. The BMW wouldn't have been as bad, except the cheap spray paint used on the cheap plastic center console was chipping away. I've never seen anything that bad in a domestic.

Besides, if you're looking for a nice interior, don't look at a $19grand roadster sportscar. It has more important priorities.

Whats he looking for the DS's

No idea. I don't like them, so I didn't spend much time looking at them. I do know that one of them has the BIG RED HYDRAULIC SYSTEM WARNING LIGHT on when you start the car.

Also known as the "get the way the hell away from this car" light.

Good, should be very durable then.

I sat in a base model 3-series BMW and it had far worse plastics in the interior then any domestic I've ever owned. Even more so then the Solstice I test drove. The BMW wouldn't have been as bad, except the cheap spray paint used on the cheap plastic center console was chipping away. I've never seen anything that bad in a domestic.

Besides, if you're looking for a nice interior, don't look at a $19grand roadster sportscar. It has more important priorities.

what specific bit of the 3 series (parents) , I can go and take pictures of it for comparison to a domestic here (brothers commodore)

what specific bit of the 3 series (parents) , I can go and take pictures of it for comparison to a domestic here (brothers commodore)

I'm talking about the cars that I've sat in. There's no doubt in my mind you could find a nice 3-series in new condition to compare to a beat up old Commodore. I just think people hold a higher standard for American cars when it comes to interior quality, then cars from other countries. I nicely equiped 3-series with brushed aluminum or wood inserts would look a hell of lot better then the base model I sat in. But the plastics were absolutely nothing to write home about.

I find the whole argument dumb anyway. It's like saying Coke is better then Pepsi because the bottle is made of better plastic.