The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

toast land butterside down because of the weight of the butter and the fact that it doesnt have time to make a full rotation

This whole conversation is moot, because murphy's law doesn't state that toast always lands butter side down. It states: "the chance of a piece of toast to land butter side down is exponentially proportional to the price of the rug"

So unless you use rugs of different prices ranges, you can't complete the experiment. And the above anti-gravity engine only works over a very expensive persian rug.

Well what if you attach the buttered toast to a persian cat that's standing on a persian rug? Will that cause the universe to implode on itself or something?

Well what if you attach the buttered toast to a persian cat that's standing on a persian rug? Will that cause the universe to implode on itself or something?

........hmm.............yes.

There is actually no difference, they did a test and the results were like 53 non 47 buttered

If ure referring to Mythbusters, i remeber they didnt really take into account the WAY toast falls, sliding off a table or a plate they just kind of dropped it.

Actually they did. Adam created a special rig just to simulate the way toast slides off the counter. The point of the rig was to keep the force of the slide constant through all pieces of toast.

Well then i stand corrected. I got my info from Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader?and thats what it told me. Also did you know that the cigarette lighter was invented before the match?(courtesy Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader?)

Actually they did. Adam created a special rig just to simulate the way toast slides off the counter. The point of the rig was to keep the force of the slide constant through all pieces of toast.

When they made that rig, the toast landed butter-side down consistently, IIRC. It was more even when they dropped it off the roof. Rotation time was the key.

so i stand..un/re corrected?

EDIT Found the passage: From Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader? Extraordinary Book of Facts

MURPHYS LAW OF BUTTERED BREAD: A dropped piece of bread will always land butter side down.
Scientific analysis: The behavior of a piece of bread dropped from table height is fairly predictable: As it falls to the ground it is more likely than not to rotate on its axis, and the distance to the ground is not sufficient for the bread to rotate the full 360 degrees needed for it to land face up. So more often than not, it will land face down.

Last edited:
The Wikipedian Protester. (source)

wikipedianprotester.png

Everyone should devote a few hours to going through the entire xkcd archives. That stuff is gold.