The French are coming to America!!

There are still some French cars I see around, just the other day I saw a beautiful Citroen DS. Most the time they are older Peugeots that are falling apart. Occasionally you will see a Citroen.

Hey, if this means I'd be able to buy a new 207 GTi, I'm all for it.

/knows it probably doesn't mean that.
//probably won't buy one even if it did.
///just wanna drive one.
//SLASHIEPWN!

The French cars don't sell all that well here, really. The only one you see a fair bit of is the 307. Probably because they're much more expensive than anything from Japan. Aussie car buyers are a fairly conservative lot, and I can imagine Americans being much the same.

I can't think of any French cars that'd sell in decent volumes in America. The 407 would be too expensive to compete with the Japanese (they start at ~$40K here, the Japanese equivalents (Camry, Mazda6, Accord Euro, Liberty) are around $29-33K (for the record, a base 3 series is in the 50's)), the 307 doesn't come in a sedan (I know how they're significantly more popular than hatches in the US), and the 207's probably too small for US tastes.

It's pretty much the same deal with Citroen, and the only Renault I could see selling in any sort of volume is the Megane sedan (or maybe the Laguna), and it'd still be more expensive than the Japanese.

Shame, I really like the x06 Peugeots, and the 407 has grown on me (not so much the 307, it's too tall). One of my mates has a 306, and it's a really nice little car.

Good God. This makes the Chinese made Chryslers look good..

Actually, it doesn't. I would rather drive a Citroen than a Chrysler any day.

I see a few of Renault 5's during the summer time. Such a classic car, very much France's "Mini", I think. Once in awhile, I've spotted a 2CV as well, though I don't know who would torture themselves by driving such a beast.

You lot havent gotten to test out the new PSA-vehicles eh? Apart from the gearbox, which is apparently supposed to be that mushy, they are great. The 307 for example, cheap, all extras included and it's big, comfortable, reasonably quick and build quality is pretty good nowadays.

I just did a search on 3 web sites for Renault's and Peugeot's accross the entire US, and came up with 2 cars, but no Le Cars :(.

I was hoping to find the remnants of a "Le car" for about $40 plus shipping, I would have given them a 39 cent stamp to mail it to me so I can say I owned a French car. :D

Last edited:
I just did a search on 3 web sites for Renault's and Peugeot's accross the entire US, and came up with 2 cars, but no Le Cars :(.

I was hoping to find the remnants of a "Le car" for about $40 plus shipping, I would have given them a 39 cent stamp to mail it to me so I can say I owned a French car. :D

It was all one word: "LeCar"

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/048.html

You lot havent gotten to test out the new PSA-vehicles eh? Apart from the gearbox, which is apparently supposed to be that mushy, they are great. The 307 for example, cheap, all extras included and it's big, comfortable, reasonably quick and build quality is pretty good nowadays.

And ugly. It's nothing like as pretty as a 306. Especially in estate form, looks more like an MPV.

The 407 styling has grown on me, and I don't mind the 207 either, but the 307 styling is awkward, and it's even worse with the facelift. Unfortunately, the 308 looks no better.

What's more, the 307 isn't even cheap here, it's $4500AUD more expensive than a Focus, and that's only with a 1.6L engine.

Last edited:
ask the average joe if he knows of a french car and you'll get a blank stare. nobody cares. if the car sucks they won't sell. I know french cars and I wouldn't buy one.