*shakes head*

I'm not Takumi

Car(s)
Toyota AE86 Corolla
This is why I really hate my fellow tuner brethren sometimes.

stupidoposting.jpg

Is it that freakin' hard to just say "My Yaris has a 3S-GTE swap?"

>>293371

ANONYMOUS DOES NOT FORGIVE!!!!

Seriously, they argue about some of the dumest things in /o/...at least last time I checked. Its been awhile.

My god...he makes the Toyota model code sound so complicated. He even managed to explain the code wrong since the next letter after the engine family is chassis code not model code or anything to do with the drive train.

Theres only one reason to ever use the model code, to differentiate between the same car of different generations.

Now wheres that "couldn't care less" smiley?

hah, you should try looking in integra forums then <_<

ps, there is a riced up yaris at uni it's so lame D:

Now wheres that "couldn't care less" smiley?

this <_<, this :zzz:, or this :yawn:?

Guess it's more proof that the cheaper the import, the more clueless the driver. We should call it the "FinalGear's Law."

Why can't they just say year then model then year (eg. 2003 BMW M3) the they wouldn't have to bother with the model codes and stuff.

People into Japanese tuning culture will usually use engine/chassis codes. It maybe because of past Japanese cars. You would have variants of the same model.

Why can't they just say year then model then year (eg. 2003 BMW M3) the they wouldn't have to bother with the model codes and stuff.
Corollas are the best example to show why because of all the variants like the Levin, Trueno, etc. Certain versions of Corollas end later in other markets or begin earlier than other markets. In 1995 Japan was on the 8th generation of Corolla but it was still selling the 7th and all other markets were still in the 7th while a 6th gen would return in South Africa.

Corollas are the best example to show why because of all the variants like the Levin, Trueno, etc. Certain versions of Corollas end later in other markets or begin earlier than other markets.

Or to further elaborate:

The Trueno had the code AE86. The Levin also came as a AE86 (A souped-up version) and a AE85 (A base-model with a less HP engine).

In the USA, it was abit different. The GT-S had the AE88 designation. The SR5 had AE86. Plus both trims came with flip-up headlights, when the Levin had fixed headlights.

Or to further elaborate:

The Trueno had the code AE86. The Levin also came as a AE86 (A souped-up version) and a AE85 (A base-model with a less HP engine).

In the USA, it was abit different. The GT-S had the AE88 designation. The SR5 had AE86. Plus both trims came with flip-up headlights, when the Levin had fixed headlights.

The Europeans have done that sort of thing, too.

In Europe, a 1986 Jaguar XJ6 is the "XJ40", the boxy Jaguar. In the USA, the prior car, the Series III, continued on for two years past the 85 cutoff date and finally terminated in the 1987 model year. So for two years (86-87), depending on market, you could have a car that had the "XJ6" badge (XJ40) that was completely and totally different from what someone else with the same model year car with the same badge had (Series III).

BMW did the same thing - during 2005 and 2006, your 330i could be either the E46 *or* the E90 body type, depending on your body style - and they were sold side by side on the showroom floor! They were making E90s and E46s at the same time!

And let's not get into mid-year or country-staggered launches. That just adds to the complexity, suffice it to say.

So, people use the model codes to indicate precisely which car they have. Helps for troubleshooting purposes.

Now, Toyota's use of codes is a bit weird. Most makers use their codes to refer to the overall chassis - XJ40, X300, E46, W201, etc., etc. Toyota goes so far as to change the model code based on what engine or option configuration it is.

We're just as guilty with the local cars. Think BA or VL or XF or whatever. Maybe it's because the cars are sold in more than one year (like how the VL was sold from 1986-1988)

The American one is really weird, because I can go and buy a 2008 car in America right now, but it's not even 2008 yet. Shouldn't a car made in 2007 and sold in 2007 be a 2007 car?

Last edited:
The American one is really weird, because I can go and buy a 2008 car in America right now, but it's not even 2008 yet. Shouldn't a car made in 2007 and sold in 2007 be a 2007 car?

Umm, out here in the US that is normal for all car mfg, not just American cars. I think most dealer are already getting ready to get there 2008 soon, MB is already sending me stuff about going to test drive the new C Class, which should hit floors in a few month. VW I think already might have 08 on the floor, if not for order. I have bought next year cars in the other year, got my 06 S Class in fall of 05.

Around July/Aug is when most of the new cars for next year hit the show floors.

Yeah, it's a Model Year thing. Car companies do it all around the world. Model years typically run from summer to summer. Sometimes there are "mid year" introductions, where they introduce a car "late" or "early" (i.e.. releasing the 2002 Explorer in January 01 instead of September 01, releasing the 2004 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) in January 04 instead of September 03).

Changing the numbers does not make the car AWD in the same way that stuffing feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.