Saab or Volvo?

How can you even consider a Saab? :yucky:

Both Saab and Volvo are now (unfortunately) owned by other companies. The difference is Saabs are getting stuffed with GMs leftover parts nowadays, whereas Ford is actually using Volvo parts in their other cars. That kinda tells you what brand is the better one :)

If you look over here in Sweden the right choice seems kinda obvious, I just have to look around in my street.. I have 4 Volvos myself, my neighbours on the right side have a Volvo, neighbours on the left don't have a car as they're about 100 years old, my neighbour across the street used to drive Volvo (now MB tho), the other neighbours across the street have a Volvo, the ppl next to them also have a Volvo. I don't know how it is further up the street but I'm sure it'll continue pretty much like that. The nearest Saab that I know of is a comfortable 7 or 8 houses away.

Also this may sound unbelievable but I'm not making this up. A friend of mine had his car stolen about 3 years ago, it was an old Saab. The next day whoever stole it had put it back! So apparently not even car thieves want to drive Saab!

snq said:

Both Saab and Volvo are now (unfortunately) owned by other companies. The difference is Saabs are getting stuffed with GMs leftover parts nowadays, whereas Ford is actually using Volvo parts in their other cars. That kinda tells you what brand is the better one :)

If you look over here in Sweden the right choice seems kinda obvious, I just have to look around in my street.. I have 4 Volvos myself, my neighbours on the right side have a Volvo, neighbours on the left don't have a car as they're about 100 years old, my neighbour across the street used to drive Volvo (now MB tho), the other neighbours across the street have a Volvo, the ppl next to them also have a Volvo. I don't know how it is further up the street but I'm sure it'll continue pretty much like that. The nearest Saab that I know of is a comfortable 7 or 8 houses away.

Also this may sound unbelievable but I'm not making this up. A friend of mine had his car stolen about 3 years ago, it was an old Saab. The next day whoever stole it had put it back! So apparently not even car thieves want to drive Saab!

well when compare to HongKong, the situation is similar.
usually you will see 5 Volvo untill you see a saab.
there are a lot of Volvo wagons here.
as I know, there is 1 x 850R, 2 x S80, 2 x V70XC, 1 x XC90.. e.t.c. in my area. but there is only 2 or 3 Saabs. :cry:

frankly speaking, I love them both.

but of course Subaru is always my first choice.
remembering that a year or two ago, when Saab announced they are working with Subaru to make a Wagon. I don't understand why Subaru would like to work with them. but now we all see the build quality of Subaru is improving and improving. I guess Subaru learnt something about interior styling from Saab!

The min problem my dad has had is the pipe from the turbo to the engine coming off under the pressure, apparently it's a known problem with the 2.2tdi engine.

If I wanted a mid size car I'd buy a 9-3. If I wanted a big estate I'd buy a V70. The smaller volvos don't appeal to me.

JayChou said:
but of course Subaru is always my first choice.
remembering that a year or two ago, when Saab announced they are working with Subaru to make a Wagon. I don't understand why Subaru would like to work with them. but now we all see the build quality of Subaru is improving and improving. I guess Subaru learnt something about interior styling from Saab!
Maybe they'll learn something about engines too.

snq said:

Two words: GM sucks! Also, there's a Saab engine in most turbocharged Opels/Vauxhalls (including the speedster/VX220) nowadays. And the new S40 is based on the new Focus, so I'm not really sure you've got a point there...

snq said:

How many of your neighbour has once had a Saab then? Cause most people that doesn't like Saab has never owned one. I am willing to confess that they are, in many ways, not as good as Volvo, but they've got the spirit.
I once saw someone presenting a list of the cars he'd own on a forum, and the brands was like: VW, Volvo, Opel, VW, VW, Volvo, Opel, Saab, Saab, Saab, Saab, Saab.

snq said:

Well, it doesn't really have to do with the car itself, has it?

Kind of like my volvo, it's a comfortable ride and quite fast with 225hp. Have owned it for 3 years now and almost nothing has broken down (accept that one time the fuelpump died, man that sucked!). But over here in sweden it feels like 50% of all the cars you meet on the road is either an volvo or saab. Biggest downside with my little turbo volvo is the fuelconsumption. ~1-1.2L/10km suck when the fuel cost $7,5/gallon. So now i have bought myself an WV Lupo 1.4 as a "go to work and back" car.

I'm a bit of a Volvo fanboy, so my choice is clear. I like the styling, design and comfort of Volvo more than Saab.

Well SAAB will have all wheel drive on the new 9-3. The 9-5 will be redesigned and be a real contender with BMW and Merc. I think that SAAB has a really good plan in the works to become even more present world wide.

Our family had a 245 Estate many years ago. It basically rusted to pieces the short time we had it and we've had 5 SAABs since then (a 9-5 Aero right now) without any problems, so I'd definetly go for SAAB. Always liked them much better.

My family had a volvo 745 sedan a long time ago, and about two weeks after we bought the thing the gearbox blew up so it's sabb for me

Personally, I prefer the current Volvo range, the new Saabs don't appeal to me much.

Was considering a cheap Saab 900 when looking around for my current car, but I doubt I could have afforded the upkeep.

The S40's a nice looking car, but part of me thinks it's far too expensive for what's essentially a fancy Focus.